Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Were I to do it again, I'd get basic black (goes with anything, and any other color costs $1000 or more extra depending on range size), and I would go with smaller range too, some variation of a 4 burner. You can only cook so many things at once, and I'm not a gourmet either. Les hotdogs avec les baked beans is more my speed.
Not sure you saw my question so I'm bumping it. Do you find yourself using the gas or electric oven more often? Just not sure if I'm ok with a gas oven.

Reaction Score
We bought the range but it has been in storage in New York ever since it arrived from France over a year ago, because we are still tinkering with the basic kitchen layout. So, we haven't even used it yet! Hope to get back to construction in the spring and will be using it this summer. They say the ovens can fit a 26 pound turkey, but they are arranged deeper rather than wider, so the pans go into them ends first. I'd probably use most whichever want heats up to temp first.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We bought the range but it has been in storage in New York ever since it arrived from France over a year ago, because we are still tinkering with the basic kitchen layout. So, we haven't even used it yet! Hope to get back to construction in the spring and will be using it this summer.
This bums me out. I would be murdering people.

Reaction Score
We went with gas rangetop (wolf), electric convection double ovens (gaggenau) and a (sharp) microwave drawer. All were great choices.

We are doing a kitchen in another house now and going with a gas cooktop (wolf), an adjacent induction pad (wolf), and looking at combination ovens with convection and microwave.

The thought is cook with gas for most cooking. Fast boil water on induction and have a few induction pans to expand the workspace when entertaining and using the 5 gas burners. I don’t think we’d ever give up cooking with gas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quality is such a substantial difference
I’m not sure if you meant it this way, but there is a huge difference between a quality gas range in the budget one. With quality gas ranges it’s really easy to maintain temperature and make tiny adjustments.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So after checking our dimensions, it looks like Lacanche won't work for us because you can only add induction rings to the larger sizes, and I am not about to reconfigure our kitchen again. @Conndog 's delay is not encouraging, either; and I don't see the advantage to adding propane just for the range. Bummer because it's a really beautiful product that would be the centerpiece of any kitchen.

@Excalibur , any brand or dealer you recommend for an induction range with electric oven?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So after checking our dimensions, it looks like Lacanche won't work for us because you can only add induction rings to the larger sizes, and I am not about to reconfigure our kitchen again. @Conndog 's delay is not encouraging, either; and I don't see the advantage to adding propane just for the range. Bummer because it's a really beautiful product that would be the centerpiece of any kitchen.

@Excalibur , any brand or dealer you recommend for an induction range with electric oven?
Your ostentatiousness has its limits. :(

Reaction Score
In the Lacanche line-up is the Chambertin model, which can have induction, but at 43.5 inches wide, maybe this is too wide for the space you have? That one would have one oven (you choose gas or electric) and one warming oven, plus gas burners plus induction burners.

Reaction Score
I just redid the kitchen and we ended up going with a 30in Cafe with 6 burners and a double oven. Gas all the way. Was thinking about Dual Fuel, but decided on just gas.

I didn't have the space to put in a bigger stove than 30in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the Lacanche line-up is the Chambertin model, which can have induction, but at 43.5 inches wide, maybe this is too wide for the space you have? That one would have one oven (you choose gas or electric) and one warming oven, plus gas burners plus induction burners.
Yes, that is too wide because we already redesigned the kitchen while putting on an addition (and a good deal of other work) around eight years ago, so we have all the cabinetry and granite, etc. in place and I just want something to take the place of our current range, oven and microwave. Looks like I am dealing with 30" wide and 36" high.

Reaction Score

If you’re not going super high-end, we are very happy with our Frigidaire Gallery. It’s a slide-in that fits a standard space.

Reaction Score
46865D7E-5BD2-44AA-B50D-2D5E0E7A2F90.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks. That is almost identical to our set-up; very similar cabinets and granite, too. If your fridge just on the other side of the cabinets to the right of the range and oven, it's a dead-ringer for our kitchen (same rug, too(!), but very worn, very wide wood flooring that we have been told cannot be sanded and finished again, unfortunately).

Reaction Score
Thanks. That is almost identical to our set-up; very similar cabinets and granite, too. If your fridge just on the other side of the cabinets to the right of the range and oven, it's a dead-ringer for our kitchen (same rug, too(!), but very worn, very wide wood flooring that we have been told cannot be sanded and finished again, unfortunately).

Well we got the rug in Cephalonia so that would be something . . .

Fridge is to the left of the oven.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well we got the rug in Cephalonia so that would be something . . .

Fridge is to the left of the oven.
Oh well.

Our rug is different dimensions but same style and similar colors; no idea where it came from.

Reaction Score
I have an electric cooktop with storage cabinets underneath for my pots and pans.

I googled Induction cooktops and found some. I have Saladmaster Cookware and I put the magnet under the bottom and it sticks, so it looks like they would be compatible.

Can anyone recommend an induction cooktop brand?

I would assume, and correct me if I am wrong, that the principles of induction would work the same for an induction cooktop as it would for an induction standalone range.

Reaction Score
I strongly prefer cooking with a gas range, had electric once a long time ago and hated it. I do prefer electric oven, but gas is fine.

Also, I only grill with charcoal and will look down on you if you grill with gas...but that's another discussion.

Reaction Score
Have the Kenmore Elite induction slide in.. Similar to Frigidaire in functionality and price point.. In fact the sales guy mentioned when we bought that the products are both made in the same Electrolux factory.. Can't go wrong with either ..Happy with ours.. Have had it for about 3+yrs.. All Clad and cast iron works fine.. BTW.. Talking old school cast iron..75+yrs old

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have the Kenmore Elite slide in.. Similar to Frigidaire in functionality and price point.. In fact the sales guy mentioned when we bought that the products are both made in the same Electrolux factory.. Can't go wrong with either ..Happy with ours.. Have had it for about 3+yrs.. All Clad and cast iron works fine..
All of our current appliances are Kenmore Elite; I believe their dishwashers, ranges and ovens are usually manufactured by Frigidaire or Whirlpool and their fridges are usually manufactured by LG.

Where do they sell them now that Sears is out of business?

Reaction Score
All of our current appliances are Kenmore Elite; I believe their dishwashers, ranges and ovens are usually manufactured by Frigidaire or Whirlpool and their fridges are usually manufactured by LG.

Where do they sell them now that Sears is out of business?
Per research.. Sears is now American Freight Outlet stores .. CT location in Newington.. Don't know if that helps re: your proximity

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Need to do some research.. That's where we got ours on an "impulse buy".. What part of the state do you live in??
Per research.. Sears is now American Freight Outlet stores .. CT location in Newington.. Don't know if that helps..
Thanks. I didn't mean to make you my google monkey; I didn't know if you had purchased it somewhere other than Sears, because that's where we got ours (including at the Sears Outlets in Newington and West Haven, which are both now American Freight Outlet, as you note).

I'm a big fan of the scratch and dents; I will gladly take a cosmetic defect on a side that will be covered by cabinetry in exchange for a 40% discount. We use the savings to pay for extended warranties, which have, in turn, paid for themselves over the years.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't mean to make you my google monkey; I didn't know if you had purchased it somewhere other than Sears, because that's where we got ours (including at the Sears Outlets in Newington and West Haven, which are both now American Freight Outlet, as you note).

I'm a big fan of the scratch and dents; I will gladly take a cosmetic defect on a side that will be covered by cabinetry in exchange for a 40% discount. We use the savings to pay for extended warranties, which have, in turn, paid for themselves over the years.
Bro.. We're good. .I learned something today, too.. So if you dive in.. My Wife.. Who is the chef.. Says.. Heat the cookware to a high temp and then lower it.. Before introducing olive oil..butter,etc. into the cookware..And then the food.. Easy to overcook/burn if you approach like gas/electric.. Esp if you're using All Clad quality cookware..Part of the learning curve.. Once you figure that dance out.. You're good..BTW..We did get it at Sears..We're not into the Brand..Just want good quality that's reliable..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom