Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Reaction Score
Literally, the first improvement to the last house we purchased was ditching the electric range and installing a gas one. We hadn't even changed the locks yet and were cooking with gas.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I pretty much only cook with cast iron at this point. Even cook rice in a cast iron skillet which comes out perfect every time. Get any of the Lodge non enameled offerings and you can cook on anything anywhere.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why use an Oven in summer? Thats what grills and smokers are for.
Bread and other baking. And no, I have no desire to build a brick oven for that, lol.

However, when I was doing demos for Breville, I liked their Smart Oven Air enough that I bought one, and other than whole birds and baking hundreds of cookies, the Breville is what we use virtually exclusively. Far less energy used, far less heat leaking into the house. And more control.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about it. If it's electric, just buy an induction range. It's better than gas -- all of the temperature control, none of the mess.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bread and other baking. And no, I have no desire to build a brick oven for that, lol.

However, when I was doing demos for Breville, I liked their Smart Oven Air enough that I bought one, and other than whole birds and baking hundreds of cookies, the Breville is what we use virtually exclusively. Far less energy used, far less heat leaking into the house. And more control.

I understand that (although you could do both on an BGE) , but who wants to bake in summertime anyway? thats always been a fall/winter thing for me at least (Im an OK to decent cook but a crappy baker, thats a whole other cooking science ball of wax but I still try from time to time) , I like the smell of bread or baked goods warm on cold days. Just like stews or the Bourguignon I made last week during snow storm. Weather seems to kinda dictate that stuff to me. Summertime? Not so much

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I understand that (although you could do both on an BGE) , but who wants to bake in summertime anyway? thats always been a fall/winter thing for me at least (Im an OK to decent cook but a crappy baker, thats a whole other cooking science ball of wax but I still try from time to time) , I like the smell of bread or baked goods warm on cold days. Just like stews or the Bourguignon I made last week during snow storm. Weather seems to kinda dictate that stuff to me. Summertime? Not so much
I used to be a crappy baker, but I realized that was mostly because I found baking stifling regarding creativity as you need to be more precise and diligent and you can't fix mistakes on the fly like on a stovetop. During the early days of the pandemic I started getting serious about making my own bread. It really didn't take long to become competent at it once I gave in to the science and rules. Bread here in Pgh mostly sucks (WF is better than most indie bakeries) and is expensive. And I like sandwiches.

Also, I'm just not a big fan of grilling pizza. And pizza is year-round.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our 25th wedding anniversary is next fall and I think you have just given me a great idea.

We don't have natural gas where we live; we bought a new glass top electric range and oven when we moved in 17 years ago and Mrs. 8893 has been hankering for a replacement because it's really showing its age.

I was going to plan a nice trip but we have since agreed on Battle4Atlantis for Thanksgiving week as a family vacation and I don't think I could pull off another one so close.

Where is your propane tank? Is there a separate one just for the range, or do you use the propane for heating and/or a generator?

My wife keeps asking for this. But the one side of the house where we'd put a tank already has a Bulkhead, an AC condenser and a mini-split AC (downstairs). I don't really have space. She has consented to allow this condition, but makes me swear that the next house has a gas range, or we put propane in.

I was willing to buy her induction, but she doesn't like the heavy pans that are required.

Reaction Score
Induction seems better than gas as it is more efficient transferring heat, is much safer, easier to clean, and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer. The biggest con with induction is you need magnetic pans. Electric loses to both gas and induction.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife keeps asking for this. But the one side of the house where we'd put a tank already has a Bulkhead, an AC condenser and a mini-split AC (downstairs). I don't really have space. She has consented to allow this condition, but makes me swear that the next house has a gas range, or we put propane in.

I was willing to buy her induction, but she doesn't like the heavy pans that are required.
Thanks to @Conndog , I've started poking around a bit here and am already feeling like we will go with some type of configuration from these products, once I figure out the size we need. Beautiful looking stuff:

We're far from gourmets, but even we hate the glass top electric we have now.

If we're splurging for a 25th anniversary, I feel like this is worthy.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Regarding Lacanche, we did the combination propane and linduction because I like the old fashion look of gas burners vs sleeker induction burners. The model we got has 4 propane burners with a simmer plate in middle (take the plate off to access 5th high heat propane burner for wok cooking). My wife wanted the 2 induction burners because she is trying to use less fossil fuel and it does cook things faster with instant temp control. The range has 2 ovens (one gas, one electric) and a 3rd warming oven. We chose the dark blue enamel color.

Only thing missing is the ovens aren’t self- cleaning, if you can believe it- just not an option!
Great - now you have me on their site designing the range for the next house - for the price of a car :)

Do you find yourself using the gas or electric oven more often? Not sure how I feel about a gas oven.

Reaction Score
Thanks to @Conndog , I've started poking around a bit here and am already feeling like we will go with some type of configuration from these products, once I figure out the size we need. Beautiful looking stuff:

We're far from gourmets, but even we hate the glass top electric we have now.

If we're splurging for a 25th anniversary, I feel like this is worthy.

Says it hums while cooking. For those prices you would think they'd at least teach it the words.

Reaction Score
Were I to do it again, I'd get basic black (goes with anything, and any other color costs $1000 or more extra depending on range size), and I would go with smaller range too, some variation of a 4 burner. You can only cook so many things at once, and I'm not a gourmet either. Les hotdogs avec les baked beans is more my speed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Were I to do it again, I'd get basic black (goes with anything, and any other color costs $1000 or more extra depending on range size), and I would go with smaller range too, some variation of a 4 burner. You can only cook so many things at once, and I'm not a gourmet either. Les hotdogs avec les baked beans is more my speed.
Thanks! You just saved me like $3,000+

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everything I read says this is correct. FWIW, Mrs. 82 doesn't seem to have a problem with a gas range and she does a lot baking (especially around the holidays.)

Reaction Score
I was always an electric person because I'm an idiot and I didn't know any better. My wife wanted to throw the electric range out the window when we got here so a gas range was the first purchase and in comparison I understand why.

Quality is such a substantial difference.

Reaction Score
Induction seems better than gas as it is more efficient transferring heat, is much safer, easier to clean, and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer. The biggest con with induction is you need magnetic pans. Electric loses to both gas and induction.

The cost of the pans is way overstated. Just about everyone's basic line works on induction now. When we remodeled the kitchen, I bought 3 higher end pans (one stainless deep sauté, one nonstick large frying pan and one small saucepan that gets used all the time). The rest I bought at Home Goods for about $12 each.

The stainless pans are no heavier than you would get otherwise. Anything nonstick has some extra weight to it. And you can always just use cast iron.

Having cooked on all 3 of electric, gas, and induction, I would never go back. If/when we ever move, installing induction will be the first thing I do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The cost of the pans is way overstated. Just about everyone's basic line works on induction now. When we remodeled the kitchen, I bought 3 higher end pans (one stainless deep sauté, one nonstick large frying pan and one small saucepan that gets used all the time). The rest I bought at Home Goods for about $12 each.

The stainless pans are no heavier than you would get otherwise. Anything nonstick has some extra weight to it. And you can always just use cast iron.

Having cooked on all 3 of electric, gas, and induction, I would never go back. If/when we ever move, installing induction will be the first thing I do.
This is good to know should we ever move to a place w/o gas hookup.

Question though - my understanding from the limited reading I've done is that induction cooktops require the pot/pan to be in constant contact with the element, thus lifting the pan to toss something or to work scrambled eggs or whatever could cause the element to turn off. Is this correct in your experience?

Reaction Score
Something to consider- a couple of years ago, we went to Williams Sonoma to look at induction cookware, and a young woman working there mentioned possible health concerns with using induction cooking. She said she worked at the store part-time while also going to med school. I don't know if there really is a health hazard, I think it has to do with how close you are to the induction zone, but that was the report from her. It stuck in my mind, and hence another reason (besides the old-fashion look to gas burners) with my not wanting to go with all-induction range.

Reaction Score
This is good to know should we ever move to a place w/o gas hookup.

Question though - my understanding from the limited reading I've done is that induction cooktops require the pot/pan to be in constant contact with the element, thus lifting the pan to toss something or to work scrambled eggs or whatever could cause the element to turn off. Is this correct in your experience?

No, the element stays active unless it’s not in contact for a longer period of time (maybe 2 minutes).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

As I understand it, you can grab a regular magnet. If it sticks to the pan, the pan will work on an induction cooktop. You probably already have several pans that work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom