Gardening 2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gardening 2020

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What's everyone planting?

Just started tilling the garden and putting in new topsoil, moss, and manure. What do you guys do for weeds and insects? Specifically Squash Beetles and Creeping Charlie.

Looking to also do some self wicking raised garden beds. Does anyone use these?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Interesting...our rear lawn is turning to moss. Especially the part that gets the least sun.

It sucks the moisture out of it pretty good. Then the moss can be raked up. Effectively it boosts the ph of your soil to a point where moss doesnt like to grow.

Reaction Score
Trying out some Ginger and Turmeric this year. We'll see if it takes. Hoping I have better luck with Tomatoes and Peppers this year, blight got them last year.

Still looking for some tips on squash beetles. They decimated a couple of our plants last year

LINK this is helpful if you want to do it organically. Spinosad on nympths and pyrethrin on adults. Even though organic, pyrethrins (chrysanthemum derived insecticide) are harmful to bees so not great to use.

LINK this is a picture of squash bug eggs. Very distinctive. Unless you have row after row of squash, your best best is to regular look on the undersides of leaves and use something like duct tape to remove them.

Reaction Score
Anyone else already have crabgrass? What the hell
Yes, but my lawn is a piece of crap.

Took this pic from today. This is from the "nicer" part of our lawn, on the south side with plenty of sun. Never seen this stuff before, but it almost resembles algae from fishtanks. Anyone familiar with this?

IMG_3333.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes, but my lawn is a piece of crap.

Took this pic from today. This is from the "nicer" part of our lawn, on the south side with plenty of sun. Never seen this stuff before, but it almost resembles algae from fishtanks. Anyone familiar with this?

View attachment 52803
Are there little white blossoms? On top of what looks like a scorched desert bush? I have a couple spots of that crap and noticed it popping up on a couple other lawns in the neighborhood. Never seen it be more but it’s nasty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom