Gampel Pavilion concourse | The Boneyard

Gampel Pavilion concourse

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Periodically I mention the fact that there is a plan to put a concourse around Gampel which would add food choices and more bathrooms, and improve pedestrian flow. I’ve never seen it written anywhere but my suspicion is the interior concourse would have seats put in it to increase capacity.

In any event I stumbled on this renderings and I thought I would just post them for anyone who’s curious. It was originally scheduled in a group of projects to be done between 2025 and 2035

4BCF1051-1DD9-42CD-8C19-158AC8DAC649.jpeg

Reaction Score
Periodically I mention the fact that there is a plan to put a concourse around Gampel which would add food choices and more bathrooms, and improve pedestrian flow. I’ve never seen it written anywhere but my suspicion is the interior concourse would have seats put in it to increase capacity.

In any event I stumbled on this renderings and I thought I would just post them for anyone who’s curious. It was originally scheduled in a group of projects to be done between 2025 and 2035

View attachment 77983
This project interests me so much. I wish they had renderings of what it will look like inside. Have to think that if they did this they would probably do an overhaul inside too.

Also you would think they would have some more urgency to do this while you still have Hartford.

CL82

Reaction Score
This project interests me so much. I wish they had renderings of what it will look like inside. Have to think that if they did this they would probably do an overhaul inside too.

Also you would think they would have some more urgency to do this while you still have Hartford.
Me too. I’m pretty sure that this is only a concept and no further renderings have been done. I have always felt that this was in the queue after the new hockey arena was completed, though, I don’t have any direct evidence that would support that. I am hopeful over the next few years it will progress and we will get to see the interior renderings.

(Also “post/handle” ;))

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The XL Center could look like this and the State would still make UConn play there.

1659553247689.png

Reaction Score
Regardless of the Hartford situation. It makes sense to maximize the revenue that Gampel can produce. An expanded concourse including a bar or bars, improved food service, local or upscale restaurants, even games and activities would improve Gampel"s bottom line --and, not inconsequentially, fan experience.

Reaction Score

View attachment 77983
Unfortunately, I’ve learned that these plans tend to be more of wishes or dreams. I’ve seen the most beautiful plans for a new basketball arena at CCSU for over 20 years. Still waiting! And now that they’ve actually renovated Detrick Gym, added “boxes”, and connected it to the new recreation center, I’ve given up all hope.
Good luck to you guys though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I’ve learned that these plans tend to be more of wishes or dreams. I’ve seen the most beautiful plans for a new basketball arena at CCSU for over 20 years. Still waiting! And now that they’ve actually renovated Detrick Gym, added “boxes”, and connected it to the new recreation center, I’ve given up all hope.
Good luck to you guys though.
True, until there is money approved these things are speculative. Still, the rest of the athletic campus projects were all completed, or are nearly completed in the case of the hockey arena, so, perhaps there’s hope for the concourse project.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 77983
Bodacious

Reaction Score
Along with this I have an odd question--Is there an area of Gampel that displays winning banners, pictures etc etc that is open to the fans

CL82

Reaction Score
Along with this I have an odd question--Is there an area of Gampel that displays winning banners, pictures etc etc that is open to the fans
Inside Gampel there are championship banners and plaques to individual players and teams but that’s more of a game day experience. If you are looking to go up on other than a game day next-door to Gampel is the Werth Champions Center in it houses is a nice interactive history of Connecticut basketball.

Reaction Score
Inside Gampel there are championship banners and plaques to individual players and teams but that’s more of a game day experience. If you are looking to go up on other than a game day next-door to Gampel is the Werth Champions Center in it houses is a nice interactive history of Connecticut basketball.

Can you just walk into Werth when you're visiting campus? Does it have hours it's open to the public? We stop by campus every now and then and Werth and an ice cream from the Dairy Bar would make a nice visit.

CL82

Reaction Score
Can you just walk into Werth when you're visiting campus? Does it have hours it's open to the public? We stop by campus every now and then and Werth and an ice cream from the Dairy Bar would make a nice visit.
I think so, but I don’t know. I haven’t been there yet.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the Hartford situation. It makes sense to maximize the revenue that Gampel can produce. An expanded concourse including a bar or bars, improved food service, local or upscale restaurants, even games and activities would improve Gampel"s bottom line --and, not inconsequentially, fan experience.
Obviously, with greater seating capacity, more bathrooms, and more fans to utilize the bars and local or upscale restaurants it sounds like a win-win situation.

Though, it would appear Gampel or rather a concourse would have to be open not just for games, to maximize the revenue for the restaurants and bars, but also to justify their presence onsite. Unless, the concourse would consist of pavilions or offshoots from existing food and drink establishments operating nearby that would be staffed only during games.

The Civic Center as I remember from years ago, had permanent onsite establishments and was open with regular hours to the general public, with the arena being closed when the games were not being played.

So, if the concourse could be closed off from the arena somehow, it could be open during non-game hours.

I am not just speculating on this, having heard this concept for the first time in the above posting.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I just want better food and drinks

Although if they offer craft cocktails, I might want the restrooms upgraded too

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

View attachment 77983
Everything I see reminds me of her !

CL82

Reaction Score
I just want better food and drinks

Although if they offer craft cocktails, I might want the restrooms upgraded too
That’s pretty much the plan, well, I don’t know about the craft cocktails, but the rest

Reaction Score
Attractive concept. But Storrs will still be inaccessible in bad weather and parking will still be an issue, especially for us oldsters. How much money will Uconn pump into an arena which is difficult to fill?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Attractive concept. But Storrs will still be inaccessible in bad weather and parking will still be an issue, especially for us oldsters. How much money will Uconn pump into an arena which is difficult to fill?

Well, look on the bright side. If you do manage to make it to Gampel in spite of the weather and the parking issue, you don't have to worry about the ceiling collapsing.

Reaction Score
Bad weather can't be fixed. Parking for 10,000 people is always less than perfect. From the looks of the season ticket holder seating chart, it's filling up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom