Gamecocks 2022 | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You’re thinking of her predecessor, Katie Fowler. Binetti we got from Louisville (worked w/ VB, SB, & WTEN).
Ah, thanks for the correction!

Reaction Score

I would have liked to see her coach in Paris, hopefully in an Olympics where things are far more back to normal with crowds and the ability to move about freely and attend other events. But she got to experience that in her previous Olympics experiences. I wonder if her decision would be different if L.A. were the next host instead of ‘28. I also think this job is easier for a WNBA coach who I believe have less responsibilities than a collegiate coach.

Now, as she returns back home, I’m expecting it won’t be too long til we have an announcement on a contract extension. I wouldn’t be surprised if the particulars have, by and large, been already agreed to.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I would have liked to see her coach in Paris, hopefully in an Olympics where things are far more back to normal with crowds and the ability to move about freely and attend other events. But she got to experience that in her previous Olympics experiences. I wonder if her decision would be different if L.A. were the next host instead of ‘28. I also think this job is easier for a WNBA coach who I believe have less responsibilities than a collegiate coach.

Now, as she returns back home, I’m expecting it won’t be too long til we have an announcement on a contract extension. I wouldn’t be surprised if the particulars have, by and large, been already agreed to.

I would’ve liked it as well, but I’m so glad she got to get the Gold as a HC. That said, It’s not unusual for a coach to only coach the national team for 1 Olympics. USA BB is a BIG time and energy commitment and I’m sure that was a factor.. the quick turnarounds can be overbearing. FIBA Worlds are literally next year and that would’ve been the second summer in a row that she’s been away from South Carolina.. and Staley runs a tight ship, so as I’m sure she has high confidence in her staff I’m also sure the amount of time USA BB requires her to be away from SC also played a factor..

When you’re the HC of the WNT you don’t just show up for the Olympics every four years and go home.. nah, you got Olympic trials, practices, qualifying tournaments.. being on the road that much and keeping an elite WCBB running at a high level sounds like a task to me

Reaction Score
I would’ve liked it as well, but I’m so glad she got to get the Gold as a HC. That said, It’s not unusual for a coach to only coach the national team for 1 Olympics. USA BB is a BIG time and energy commitment and I’m sure that was a factor.. the quick turnarounds can be overbearing. FIBA Worlds are literally next year and that would’ve been the second summer in a row that she’s been away from South Carolina.. and Staley runs a tight ship, so as I’m sure she has high confidence in her staff I’m also sure the amount of time USA BB requires her to be away from SC also played a factor..

When you’re the HC of the WNT you don’t just show up for the Olympics every four years and go home.. nah, you got Olympic trials, practices, qualifying tournaments.. being on the road that much and keeping an elite WCBB running at a high level sounds like a task to me
She has been coaching either under 17, 19 or the National team since 2014, that takes a lot of time away from home. Thank you Dawn.

Reaction Score

I think this head coaching gig is more of a double edge sword of being both an honor and a detriment. She's going out on top and now she gets to put all her attention to USC and their progress.

Reaction Score
So, now Dawn can focus on:
(1) meshing the temperaments of the 5 newcomers with the veterans; and
(2) the 2022 recruiting class of one unknown birdie among 3 major prospects of interest. Time to exercise some official visits.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Dawn Staley, her assistants, and the USA WBB team on winning gold at the Olympics. Not that it wasn’t expected, but you meticulously navigated yourselves throughout the pandemic settings, to proudly represent the USA on the world’s greatest stage.
Good job, and congratulations to you.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Cooper at the point at all. My biggest fear is that Raven will make a big splash at the point as a frosh and Fulwiley might look at being a backup for two years. Not that I don’t want Raven to make a big splash.

russell may be the one left out which is why there are transfer rumors. Completely unsubstantiated rumors at this point though.
Fulwiley is not a PG. Zia Cook is not a PG. They are the same player-play making guards that can play point but are better off the ball IMO.

Reaction Score
Fulwiley is not a PG. Zia Cook is not a PG. They are the same player-play making guards that can play point but are better off the ball IMO.
Plus I think Rivers is 2/3 for us depending how we play..
I think the transfer rumors on Russell are coming from fan boards and not from her camp

Reaction Score
It seems like our 1 and 2 are always point guards.. our last true SG at the two was probably Tiffany Mitchell and Kaela Davis. Correct me if I’m forgetting somebody.
I think Zia would be offended if she read this post...

Reaction Score
Fulwiley is built for Dawn's system. She would be deadly like Denstanni with the fast break and she is athletic with long arms that could make her a defensive matchup nightmare. I hope she comes here. I was getting Zia vibes while watching her highlights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fulwiley is built for Dawn's system. She would be deadly like Denstanni with the fast break and she is athletic and tall with long arms that could make her a defensive matchup nightmare. I hope she comes here. I was getting Zia vibes while watching her highlights.
She lists at 5'7 (up from 5'6) but I swear she carries herself taller.

Reaction Score
Fulwiley is built for Dawn's system. She would be deadly like Denstanni with the fast break and she is athletic and tall with long arms that could make her a defensive matchup nightmare. I hope she comes here. I was getting Zia vibes while watching her highlights.
i haven't really gotten to see her in a very organized environment against like competition.

I would like to see that. Not sure I get the impression she's dominant on AAU scene but that's hard to follow.

Her highlight packages are fantastic and I think she shot better than 40% from 3 this past high school season.

Reaction Score
She lists at 5'7 (up from 5'6) but I swear she carries herself taller.
There's something to be said about good posture. That could help give off that impression.
She looked as tall or taller than a lot of her competition. Maybe her competition is short?
That's possible too. She could also be going through another growth spurt. Looking at my daughter, she looks to have grown a bit this past year.

She was 6'2" / 6'3" when COVID started to shut everything down. Now, she's hitting her head in spots that weren't an issue before. Lending her the car is funny too. We used to have the seat back in the same spot. Now, I'm moving it up when I get the car back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom