Gamecocks 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2021

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Do the chickens have any guard help coming in next season? Asking for my friend.
Lots, actually.

Raven Johnson - PG
Saniya Rivers - G/W
Bree Hall - G/W

Our other 2021er is a forward, Sania Feagin. All ranked top 15.

Reaction Score
Changed thread title.

As I have previously stated, Dawn needs to recruit a shooter. She has a roster full of athletes, but we nee somebody who is athletic enough to play defense and can hit a high percentage of her shots - be she a pure guard or a wing or a second Kiki.

Raven might fit the bill. She can certainly hit layups with either hand (yes, triad). Her 3 pt shooting showed vast improvement last summer. If not considered a polished shooter at this time by Dawn, we need to focus on a polished shooter for 2022 - even if she doesn't fit Dawn's normal recruiting profile. I don't see one in our prospect list.

Reaction Score
Changed thread title.

As I have previously stated, Dawn needs to recruit a shooter. She has a roster full of athletes, but we nee somebody who is athletic enough to play defense and can hit a high percentage of her shots - be she a pure guard or a wing or a second Kiki.

Raven might fit the bill. She can certainly hit layups with either hand (yes, triad). Her 3 pt shooting showed vast improvement last summer. If not considered a polished shooter at this time by Dawn, we need to focus on a polished shooter for 2022 - even if she doesn't fit Dawn's normal recruiting profile. I don't see one in our prospect list.
I have to say that I appreciate the evenness of your support for USC. Very refreshing...

As I watch Dawn’s recruiting, it resembles to me in some ways that of Pat Summit: go after the best athletes somewhat regardless of their specific basketball skills. To me, Baylor recruits that way as well.

That recipe worked very well for Tennessee until UConn started getting very good athletes who had also had more basketball attributes. To me, Stanford and ND do the same.

I realize these are gross assessments but would you agree???

Thanks

Reaction Score
I have to say that I appreciate the evenness of your support for USC. Very refreshing...

As I watch Dawn’s recruiting, it resembles to me in some ways that of Pat Summit: go after the best athletes somewhat regardless of their specific basketball skills. To me, Baylor recruits that way as well.

That recipe worked very well for Tennessee until UConn started getting very good athletes who had also had more basketball attributes. To me, Stanford and ND do the same.

I realize these are gross assessments but would you agree???

Thanks
I do not disagree with your assessments.

Reaction Score

This was too cool. wish I could've seen it in person.
Great to see Alaina. She seemed to be a bit distant from the program after graduating but I'm glad she's made her way back closer. That time after her injury, watching the team win the Natty w/o her, and seeing some foolishly minimize her importance to the team, had to hurt. Glad to see her getting back in the fold the last couple years.

Ty and Kiki were too cute, especially Kiki. Someone on Twitter posted they miss her energy and I couldn't agree more.

Foremostly, loved seeing La'Keisha. I don't believe those players who came aboard at the very beginning with Dawn, getting this program to the Sweet 16 in four years, get the credit they deserve for making the success of recent years possible and Sutton was Dawn's first signee - an accidental recruiting trip discovery. Before Alaina and Kiki, it was La'Keisha who brought the fire and attitude. She was also extremely fun to watch as she was a very quick PG in her own right, who was very active on both ends of the floor.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Great to see Alaina. She seemed to be a bit distant from the program after graduating but I'm glad she's made her way back closer. That time after her injury, watching the team win the Natty w/o her, and seeing some foolishly minimize her importance to the team, had to hurt. Glad to see her getting back in the fold the last couple years.

Ty and Kiki were too cute, especially Kiki. Someone on Twitter posted they miss her energy and I couldn't agree more.

Foremostly, loved seeing La'Keisha. I don't believe those players who came aboard at the very beginning with Dawn, getting this program to the Sweet 16 in four years, get the credit they deserve for making the success of recent years possible and Sutton was Dawn's first signee - an accidental recruiting trip discovery. Before Alaina and Kiki, it was La'Keisha who brought the fire and attitude. She was also extremely fun to watch as she was a very quick PG in her own right, who was very active on both ends of the floor.

Sutton is one of my favorite Gamecocks ever. I started watching the team during those years.

Alaina has had an interesting journey since the passing of her dad. There was some distance from the program for awhile, but it was a miscommunication. She's back in the fold now. I won't go into too much detail beyond that publicly.

Reaction Score

I couldnt imagine what this would have looked like if they didnt choke at UConn lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sutton is one of my favorite Gamecocks ever. I started watching the team during those years.
'Keisha is one of my favorite human beings on this planet! I think I might have already told you that.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Saniya Rivers completely snapped in a game the other night and dropped 50 points. It's easy to see why she's one of the best in this class. The grace of her style of play reminds me so much of DeShields.

Watch until the end.

Reaction Score
Saniya Rivers completely snapped in a game the other night and dropped 50 points. It's easy to see why she's one of the best in this class. The grace of her style of play reminds me so much of DeShields.

Watch until the end.

Too bad she didn’t quite get her dunk down.

love that she and Raven are both using their left hands on layups when called for. Heck, I just love seeing them make layups after Monday night’s debacle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Watch until the end.

Ok I'm gonna like this post but I'm not really liking this post if you know what I mean.

Reaction Score
Changed thread title.

MaxPreps has Raven at 44, 46, 38% the last three seasons.

Hall shot about 38% last season from 3, but has dropped back to the 31% range last I checked.

Rivers doesn't shoot a particularly high percentage from three, but I think she could improve the offense by just being a scorer. If that's what she is right off the jump.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Speaking of La'Keisha, she played her HS ball at Trenton Catholic, which stars the number 2 prospect in the 2023 class along with #23.

There are also a number of highly rated prospects from Metro Columbia in upcoming classes:

2022: #13 Ashlyn Watkins from Cardinal Newman in Columbia plus not far away #8 Talaysia Cooper from East Clarendon, about 60 miles away;

2023: #3 Malaysia Fulwiley from Keenan HS in Columbia

2024: # 8 Joyce Edwards from Camden HS

It will be nice to have some local stars again, like when Alaina and A'ja were on the team and like back in the 80s - early 2000s.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Watch until the end.

I think Rivers is going to be fantastic from day 1 for Dawn. Per maxpreps box scores she's not a strong 3pt shooter (26% last year, 20% this year) so she'll need to improve her shooting, but she's probably the best athlete in her class and I see her as an impact player from the get go.

Reaction Score
South Carolina's next game is with Tennessee Thursday in Knoxville. The Vols postponed their game Tuesday against Mississippi State, because they were still stuck in Texas after their previous game at Texas A&M prior to that. Last I saw yesterday, they were still stuck in Texas. Will there even BE a game Thursday??

Nevermind....just saw this posted:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guys, check out Riley Stack posted in the feb UConn recruiting thread. Gangly 6-4 forward out of Piedmont SC. Class of 23. She’s a rangy finesse shooter. Not the athletic type Dawn usually goes after but may have a bright future on high posts.

may develop athletically as she develops into her long frame
Watch Video "Riley Stack's highlights Seneca High School"

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Guys, check out Riley Stack posted in the feb UConn recruiting thread. Gangly 6-4 forward out of Piedmont SC. Class of 23. She’s a rangy finesse shooter. Not the athletic type Dawn usually goes after but may have a bright future on high posts.

Another Gamecock fan mentioned her a while back. I actually see her athleticism as fairly normal for her size, she’s not the athletic freak that Dawn typically recruits but I don’t see her athleticism as a deterrent. I think we should give her a look if we haven’t already.

Reaction Score

A Gamecock Legacy....hopefully she gets a solid and long look from Coach Staley and staff....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom