Game Night - UConn women’s basketball vs. St. John’s | The Boneyard

Game Night - UConn women’s basketball vs. St. John’s

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Today marks the start of a busy month for Geno Auriemma and Co. UConn has nine games over a 25-day stretch, including six on the road. “These next three weeks, as we wind down here, we can accomplish a lot,” the UConn coach said. “We can get ready for the NCAA Tournament, we can get tournament ready. We have a ton of games coming up, with not a lot of time in between each game. We’re going to have to get better playing games as opposed to in practice, which may not be a bad thing anyway.” With its 13th game today, UConn will reach the NCAA threshold for postseason eligibility.

1612361169779.png

Here’s what you need to know about tonight's matchup:

Site:
Gampel Pavilion
Time: 6:30 p.m. EST
Series: UConn leads, 41-17
Last meeting: No. 2 UConn 65, St. John’s 55, in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Nov. 23, 2018
TV: SNY (Meghan Culmo and Allen Bestwick)
STREAMING - UConn's SNY games will be available to stream in-market (CT, NY, NJ, PA) to authenticated subscribers via the NBC Sports app: http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny. Out-of-market fans will be able to stream UConn's SNY games at no additional cost to authenticated subscribers who have FOX as part of their television package. Users will need to sign in with their TV provider credentials at https://www.foxsports.com/ or in the FOX Sports app. The games can also be accessed at www.fox.com/sports or in the FOX Now app.
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN (Bob Joyce & Debbie Fiske) or through TuneIn.

St. John's roster - Head coach Joe Tatamella (9th year)
St. John's team news
St. John's game notes
NOTE - senior guard Qadashah (KWA-DASH-UH) Hoppie (18 ppg) will miss the remainder of the 2020-21 campaign after suffering a shoulder injury that will require season-ending surgery.

UConn roster - Head coach Geno Auriemma is in his 36th season and holds a career record of 1,102-143.
UConn game notes
Team stats as of Jan 31,2021

2020-21 BIG East Women's Basketball Standings (through Feb 2)

Husky Bites -
UConn fans are missing out on not being able to watch Bueckers live - Carl Adamec
Saylor Poffenbarger settling in on and off the court at UConn - Alexa Phillipou
Huskies' slow starts a concern for Auriemma - Carl Adamec
An inside look at how the UConn women have navigated the season - Doug Bonjour

Bracket Watch - Charlie Cream

Tip in - Geno on finding out one of their upcoming games has been canceled or postponed:
“The minute you find out you’re not playing, right away you just jump on any situation,” Auriemma said. “Hey, what team is missing games? What league is on pause? It doesn’t matter who you play this year. If you’re not willing to play anybody, anywhere, anytime this year, then you know what? There’s something wrong with you.”

Next game: @ Marquette (11-2/8-1) Fri Feb 5 - 7:00 pm EST (SNY)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think there was some pretty useful scouting on St Johns on

Scouting St. John’s​

The Red Storm are comfortably mediocre with an offense that scores 68.9 points per game and a defense that allows 69.3 points per game. They shoot the ball well, ranking in the top 70 nationally in field goal, 3-point, and free throw percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Unlike most other teams in the Big East, St. John’s actually has some size to contend with UConn. Five of seven players who see at least 15.0 minutes per game for the Red Storm are six feet or taller, including Raven Farley (6-foot-4) and Rayven Peeples (6-foot-3). With that size, St. John’s ranks 13th in the country with 5.7 blocks per game.

I would love for Liv to make a definitive statement against these posts. Her mindset needs to be for total domination. Her goal should be 20-15-5-5 minimum.

Excited Time GIF by Curious Pavel

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would love for Liv to make a definitive statement against these posts. Her mindset needs to be for total domination. Her goal should be 20-15-5-5 minimum.

Excited Time GIF by Curious Pavel
I strongly agree!!! I suggested those same numbers for her at the beginning of the season, and was rebuked by several posters saying that those numbers were too unrealistic. From my vantage point, I think she can achieve those numbers EVERY game (or come very close to it) IF she sets her mind and body to it, and focuses on reaching 25% of those numbers one quarter at a time = 5 - 3.75 - 1.25 - 1.25. I believe it's very doable.

I KNOW she can score 5 points, and grab 3-4 rebounds a quarter. For her to make a statement of THAT nature would be refreshing. I'm more interested in seeing her play against Aliyah Boston and the South Carolina Gamecocks Monday. Boston will be the most formidable post player she has played against this season. We know Paige and Evina will show up Monday. I'll be interested in seeing how much help they get from their teammates. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hoppie is out and this will further expose St John's weakness of turnovers. They have size which will be good for Liv she needs to improve her ability to produce against size. All of these games are for players to improve their game. The tournament is our goal as well as beating South Carolina next week. Let's see Aubrey continue to evolve her inside and outside game. Nika needs to continue to play under control and hit her open threes. Aaliyah needs to gather herself around the hoop with pump fakes against size and don't get bangs against the player in the post fouls. Chrystyn to play to her strengths. Paige and Evina just keep doing it.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Don't forget that St. John's has a history of playing us tough and throwing us off our game. All the more reason not to come out slow and give them hope. Jump them, then put the sneaker on their neck and crush them.
Figuratively, of course!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Don't forget that St. John's has a history of playing us tough and throwing us off our game. All the more reason not to come out slow and give them hope. Jump them, then put the sneaker on their neck and crush them.
I was very happy and quite impressed with the way UConn started the DePaul game Sunday. They scored off the tip, and played with a sense of urgency. DePaul didn't back down and gave them all they wanted for a half. A good game for 20 minutes until the Blue Demons ran out of gas. I'd like to see the Huskies play with that same intensity, urgency and resolve the remainder of the season. Go Huskies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Tonight's game is already listed on the Fox Sports app/channel via my phone and Roku stick.
Screenshot_20210203-120356_FOX NOW.jpg

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I strongly agree!!! I suggested those same numbers for her at the beginning of the season, and was rebuked by several posters saying that those numbers were too unrealistic. From my vantage point, I think she can achieve those numbers EVERY game (or come very close to it) IF she sets her mind and body to it, and focuses on reaching 25% of those numbers one quarter at a time = 5 - 3.75 - 1.25 - 1.25. I believe it's very doable.

I KNOW she can score 5 points, and grab 3-4 rebounds a quarter. For her to make a statement of THAT nature would be refreshing. I'm more interested in seeing her play against Aliyah Boston and the South Carolina Gamecocks Monday. Boston will be the most formidable post player she has played against this season. We know Paige and Evina will show up Monday. I'll be interested in seeing how much help they get from their teammates. :eek:

My statement was that that should be her goal and mindset. It was aspirational versus fact-based reality and expectation. This is another chance to provide a data point on the trendline toward your early-season expectations. As above:

Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Reaction Score

Those numbers are definitely unrealistic! I’d be willing to bet UConn has never had a center/forward with those numbers. In fact, I’m not sure there’s ever been a woman’s basketball center/forward who averaged those numbers. If Liv can give us 14 -7-3-3 the rest of the way, we will likely win the NC and she will likely be all-American as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom