Game Night - UConn @ Tennessee 7:00 PM EST | The Boneyard

Game Night - UConn @ Tennessee 7:00 PM EST

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

No. 3 UConn women’s basketball vs. No. 25 Tennessee: time, how to watch, broadcasters, preview​

For the first time since 2006, the No. 3 UConn women's basketball team (8-0) travels to No. 25 Tennessee (9-2) in the second year of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Revival Series tonight. UConn is 14-9 all-time vs. Tennessee. Last season the teams met for the first time in 13 years in Hartford, with the Huskies posting a 60-45 win.

1611240524223.png

UConn-Tennessee may not be what it once was, but the matchup is sure to capture the attention of basketball fans nationwide. How will UConn fare against a ranked SEC opponent, one whose height presents a challenge the Huskies haven’t had to deal with so far this year? How will UConn’s freshmen handle a true road game in front of a small but mighty Lady Vols crowd? How will Evina Westbrook respond in her first game back on Rocky Top since transferring from Tennessee to UConn? We’re about to find all that out. Here’s what you need to know about the matchup.

Site: Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville Kentucky
Time: 7 p.m.
Series: UConn leads, 14-9
Last meeting: No. 3 UConn 60, No. 23 Tennessee 45, in Hartford Jan. 23, 2020
TV: ESPN (Rebecca Lobo, Ryan Ruocco, Holly Rowe)
Radio: UConn IMG Sports Network on 97.9 ESPN

UConn roster - Head coach Geno Auriemma (36th year)
2020-21 UConn Women's Basketball Combined Team Statistics All games as of Jan 20, 2021
Tennessee roster - Head coach Kelly Harper (2nd year)
UT game notes (from UT website)

Husky bites -
Auriemma’s right, UConn-Tennessee not a big deal anymore - By Jeff Jacobs, Ct insider
UConn-Tennessee rivalry lives on, but with less buzz - By Doug Bonjour
No nostalgia for Westbrook - By Carl Adamec
How Christyn Williams quieted the self-doubt to return to the top of her game - D'Arcy Maine ESPN
BIG East WBB standings thru Jan 20, 2021

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
25 years ago (and a few days...it was on MLK evening)
Pat Summitt's mighty Lady Vols agreed to come to Storrs for a made for TV event.

The resulting UConn win had the effect of catapulting our team into national prominence...probably would have happened anyway but this event helped.

Tonight, the situation is quite precisely reversed. It is a bit unlikely that Kelly's bunch can pull off the upset; he situation is not really parallel and yet.....

The historical symmetry concerns me.

Reaction Score
I personally like the excitement that this game generates for me. I use to watch all the competitive games before they went silent. It is nice now to see this resume and for me this game represents a game of pride against against "the evil empire". They are not so evil, I like the competition. I will be rooting in my recliner chair hoping that everything goes well for UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
25 years ago (and a few days...it was on MLK evening)
Pat Summitt's mighty Lady Vols agreed to come to Storrs for a made for TV event.

The resulting UConn win had the effect of catapulting our team into national prominence...probably would have happened anyway but this event helped.

Tonight, the situation is quite precisely reversed. It is a bit unlikely that Kelly's bunch can pull off the upset; he situation is not really parallel and yet.....

The historical symmetry concerns me.

IMO, it was not beating TN in 95 that started the dynasty but the style of play UConn displayed. An attractive skilled alternative to simply outmuscling your competition.

Nothing in the way TN plays will 'capture' the imagination of a nation even if they win (god forbid). If they win, the reason would be simple. We could not make our open shots and TN owned us on the boards while clanking away as per SEC guidelines.

Reaction Score
But UConn beating Tn that year is what brought UConn to national spotlight

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lot of the promo before the game is featuring Pat. I know she has a huge legacy, but she hasn't coached at Tennessee for almost a decade now. I'd rather see them talking about now than the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom