Gaffney! WTH man?!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gaffney! WTH man?!!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
does anyone else think gaff has one of the nicer looking shots on the team? i think his percentage will continue to climb as he gains confidence.
jmoney is a beast in training. you know who are usually talented shooters? people who don't fear shooting from the baseline, and consistently make them. corner ball rainmakers? priceless.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, I like him as a catch and shoot guy at 3 point range. When UConn shares the ball they have some guys who can shoot.
That first shot from outside though seems very key for Gaff. He needs to let it go. I didn't have a problem with any shot he took today.

And another thing about today, it came when Cole struggled some. I loved that they as well as the Hoyas shot in the second half, UConn did not let them back in the game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gaff is and always was a combo. He’s a good shooter an above average passer and has a fair handle. Start thinking of him as a better Adams and you can appreciate what he does. My only concern has been his D.

Reaction Score
He is inconsistent and still finding his way - all signs of a young player. The thing is, as fans, we see glimpses of his ability and it drives us nuts that we don't see it all the time.
This perfectly captures my long drawn out point. I dont even need to see it all the time id settle for half the time.

Reaction Score
Aggressive Gaffney = Pro potential

Passive Gaffney = G5 Sixth Man

Playing next to Bouk, it is easy to forget how young he is.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He looked great today and just needs to be more consistent but he can be special as we saw today.

Reaction Score
Two things- (1) he isn't a natural point guard and when he plays the point, he isn't playing naturally and 2) when he is one of the main scoring options on the floor, he is more aggressive and usually can score.
I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at the 2G next year with Cole at the PG. Gaffney should only play PG in emergencies as he is so shaky with the ball but it s great when he is off the ball playing the 2.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at the 2G next year with Cole at the PG. Gaffney should only play PG in emergencies as he is so shaky with the ball but it s great when he is off the ball playing the 2.

Was thinking about next year today.

Way to early 2021 starting lineup?

Cole
Jackson
Martin
Akok
Sanogo

Still think Gaff ends up with over 25 mpg next year. Especially if he can get above 38% from deep.

Reaction Score
Was thinking about next year today.

Way to early 2021 starting lineup?

Cole
Jackson
Martin
Akok
Sanogo

Still think Gaff ends up with over 25 mpg next year. Especially if he can get above 38% from deep.
I'm still not sold that Akok will be back healthy enough to start. I see Martin starting at the 4 at the beginning of the season with Gaff at the SG. Either way I see Hawkins being the 2G at the end of the year. That guy has pro written on him and by mid-season he will be in the starting lineup due to his shooting and athleticism.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
general comment on most of the lazerlike gaffney observations found here:

how we doin? we just hung a 100 point beat down on gtown. in march. bbut dan can't coach, rj is a d2 guard, we have no offense, high hedges and weave offense are turrible, james won't be back in that 4-6 week time we were told, isaiah has lost it, Josh Carlton should quit now, jalen can't handle, ...
signed, the december 2020, 'we are a top ten team, so let's just win the whole dang thing' guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffney reminds me a lot of Jerome Dyson. Not a good enough handle to be a PG but not a good enough shooter to be a SG......somewhere in the middle.. Athleticism for days.... Great defender... tough as nails... suspect shooter... His shooting %’s from 2 and 3 are ghastly after 2 years but hopefully he hits the gym in the off-season and bumps those up. He can’t be called on to handle 30+ mph next year shooting 35% FG and 28% from 3. If today was any indication of his potential going forward hitting shots than I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about.

Reaction Score
Always thought JG looked more comfortable off the ball as a combo guard vs as a primary ball handler.

As DH said recently in a presser. Players dictate PT/minutes not coaches and different guys mature at different stages in their careers. JG is starting to demand minutes with his play.

I think JG is benefitting from not being the focus of the defense while on the court as a secondary scorer so that he can play looser.

If he can give us this type of production on a regular basis--we become a very dangerous team in Indianapolis.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Gaffney reminds me a lot of Jerome Dyson. Not a good enough handle to be a PG but not a good enough shooter to be a SG......somewhere in the middle.. Athleticism for days.... Great defender... tough as nails... suspect shooter... His shooting %’s from 2 and 3 are ghastly after 2 years but hopefully he hits the gym in the off-season and bumps those up. He can’t be called on to handle 30+ mph next year shooting 35% FG and 28% from 3. If today was any indication of his potential going forward hitting shots than I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about.
'His shooting %’s from 2 and 3 are ghastly after 2 years'
fail.
currently, mr gaffney has both a better fg% and a better 3pt% than mr polley, our shooting savant according to some here.
2020-21 BIG EAST Men's Basketball - Connecticut (sidearmsports.com)

Reaction Score
'His shooting %’s from 2 and 3 are ghastly after 2 years'
fail.
currently, mr gaffney has both a better fg% and a better 3pt% than mr polley, our shooting savant according to some here.
2020-21 BIG EAST Men's Basketball - Connecticut (sidearmsports.com)
I’m not sure that having a better shooting % than Tyler Polley (who’s shooting 37% FG on the year) makes him a good shooter..... it doesn’t.... But if you want to think Gaffney’s a good shooter right now you’re welcome too.. I’d rather live in reality. I have full confidence he will become a competent shooter next year when he gains more confidence / experience.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that having a better shooting % than Tyler Polley (who’s shooting 37% FG on the year) makes him a good shooter..... it doesn’t.... But if you want to think Gaffney’s a good shooter right now you’re welcome too.. I’d rather live in reality. I have full confidence he will become a competent shooter next year when he gains more confidence / experience.
fg%, this year, all games:
#12 - .364
#0 - .411
fg%, this year, conference games:
#12 - .368
#0 - .417

Reaction Score
I'm still not sold that Akok will be back healthy enough to start. I see Martin starting at the 4 at the beginning of the season with Gaff at the SG. Either way I see Hawkins being the 2G at the end of the year. That guy has pro written on him and by mid-season he will be in the starting lineup due to his shooting and athleticism.
He'll be 21 months removed form surgery when next season starts, he'll be fully ready to go this summer.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
He is inconsistent and still finding his way - all signs of a young player. The thing is, as fans, we see glimpses of his ability and it drives us nuts that we don't see it all the time.

Hurley is going to get the best out of Gaffney. And since this year doesn't count, that means more game time for Gaffney, more learning and more time for Coach to mold him during the years he's here.
You hit the nail on the head. The summer between sophomore and junior seasons is when most of college basketball players make the biggest leap in development. It's not always the case, but I expect to see more consistency from Gaff moving forward.

Reaction Score
fg%, this year, all games:
#12 - .364
#0 - .411
fg%, this year, conference games:
#12 - .368
#0 - .417
they are actually virtually even this year in terms of effective fg%.

fg% alone isn't really that telling for a player like polley because he takes virtually all of his shots from 3.

Reaction Score
He'll be 21 months removed form surgery when next season starts, he'll be fully ready to go this summer.
Let's hope as an Achilles injury is tough to come back from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom