OT: Gadgets. I need to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically because I am bored.

Suggestions?

Exemptions - I have more smart phones than even William Shea recommends for marathons. Also, we have Echos and a Google Home and I just do not find them useful at all.

Reaction Score
Drones are for psychos so yeah in this case that's a solid rec

my Dad is pissed that they're so cheap and popular now. He's been building and racing RC stuff forever and now everyone is ruining it by being jacka_$$es with them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
my Dad is pissed that they're so cheap and popular now. He's been building and racing RC stuff forever and now everyone is ruining it by being jacka_$$es with them.

He needs to up his game and get himself to the DRL.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While not a gadget, you might want to look at purchasing one of these
51kOw7BMWeL.jpg

Haribo sugar free gummy bears. Read the online reviews. My side was hurting I was laughing so much.

The most excited review I could find, entitled 'AWESOME and EXPLOSIVE!!!'.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Slow close toilet seat. Optional amenities include LED nightlight and heated seat with temp control. Don't be a chump, spoil your rump.
Brondell S1000-EW Swash 1000 Advanced Bidet Elongated Toilet Seat, White

(For real I've had my eye on one, it sounds lovely)

And for the man who has it all :
Brother FAX-575 Personal Fax, Phone, and Copier

Panasonic PV-9450 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR Amazon.com: Panasonic PV-9450 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR: Electronics

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While not a gadget, you might want to look at purchasing one of these
51kOw7BMWeL.jpg

Haribo sugar free gummy bears. Read the online reviews. My side was hurting I was laughing so much.

I'm trying to convince my wife to send a gift box of these to her a.-hole former boss.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I've got two suggestions:
1. Google Home -- Awesome. Eventually it will be a lot better than Amazon's.

2. I built a golf simulator in my shed (Now known as the Caddyshack) for about $650, including a used projector. I'm in Bristol if anyone wants to check it out.

Great idea!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

2. I built a golf simulator in my shed (Now known as the Caddyshack) for about $650, including a used projector. I'm in Bristol if anyone wants to check it out.

Um. A guy on the internet is inviting people to visit his shed. No thanks.

;)

Reaction Score
I'm actually in LA but I live on the side of a mountain so we get a lot of wind and it's cool to know how strong they are - plus when it rains here it really dumps and I like to know how much we get.
I hear you, but wouldn't an earthquake monitoring device be more important?

Reaction Score
Slow close toilet seat. Optional amenities include LED nightlight and heated seat with temp control. Don't be a chump, spoil your rump.
Got both, the slow toilet seat I'm still adjusting even after a few months. When get off it to take a shower I tend to want to push it down (quicker) to put my change of clothes off of it. But its still a great seat because it doesn't slam when I'm thoughtful enough to be considerate for the Mrs.

The toilet light worked for a minute but the battery was drained (I think). Thanks for reminding me, I'll change them for the holidays cuz the kids are coming home. Its pretty cool and it really does improve my accuracy in the dark.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of gadgets, does anyone have Sonos? I'm thinking of getting it for my brother and his wife.
Co-worker got it last year and mother-in-law got it last month. MIL lives close by and she had me and one of our daughters come over to be there for the installation and instruction so we could show her when she inevitably forgets. I was pretty impressed and am considering adding a few of the Sonos speakers to my system now. I was advised to go with a hard-wired system when I had a new one installed around 5 years ago because my guy didn't think the wireless speakers were good enough then. I think that has changed now. Apparently I have to have them add some type of small unit to my AVR in order to marry it with my existing system, but it's my understanding that once I do that I can essentially have as many additional zones as I want to have, which is a huge deal for me, as my existing system is limited to two zones, and it would have cost thousands more at the time to get an AVR with additional zones.

The thing you have to decide with Sonos is whether you want the zones to have stereo, which means buying two speakers instead of one for each zone that you want to be stereo. Otherwise, it's one speaker handling all the sound in each zone, so that could affect the cost significantly. I'm a music junkie but I grew up on radio, scratchy vinyl and Grateful Dead bootleg tapes, so I'm far from an audiophile, but I do prefer stereo (or 5.1, 7.1, etc.), so I'm trying to decide that part myself right now. Also, if, like me, they have their existing system programmed in a MX-990 or similar universal remote, they'll probably want to have that reprogrammed to add the Sonos; but it is also controllable from the Sonos app, which is nice.

One thing that is perhaps obvious to most, but it wasn't my mother-in-law, is that you have to have your own music stored digitally on iTunes or some other source in order to play it over Sonos; for example, you can't play a CD over the system. It can also play Pandora, Spotify, etc., if they are into that. I am not, but I am hoping that it will be able to play Sirius through my internet subscription.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Got both, the slow toilet seat I'm still adjusting even after a few months. When get off it to take a shower I tend to want to push it down (quicker) to put my change of clothes off of it. But its still a great seat because it doesn't slam when I'm thoughtful enough to be considerate for the Mrs.

The toilet light worked for a minute but the battery was drained (I think). Thanks for reminding me, I'll change them for the holidays cuz the kids are coming home. Its pretty cool and it really does improve my accuracy in the dark.
One of my wife's trigger points is the slamming of doors, lids, drawers etc. That said, she loves the seat. Added bonus is that we got the plastic seat, which absorbs heat nicely without requiring the heating function so it's never too cold.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Speaking of gadgets, does anyone have Sonos? I'm thinking of getting it for my brother and his wife.

I just got Sonos and love it. Amazing app that makes it easy to play different things in different rooms at different volumes. Or the same thing throughout the house. It is very addictive....you want to keep adding speakers so it gets pricey.

8893 is right about the stereo piece. But I think it sounds great and after hearing it I dont miss that element. I put one speaker in per room and think it sounds great.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If I were in the area, I'd definitely be stopping by. Pretty cool!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Giving my wife a Toto 350e with installation (electric outlet) for one of her Christmas presents. Was complaining about a cold seat and I got used to these in Japan!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Bob Kramer folding picnic knife $350. May be sold out so you might have to wait for the next run. A simple knife but Kramer is consideed the best Master Bladesman in the US (yes that's a thing). His chef knives go for $30 - $50.000 or more, so this is really the only way to afford one of his knives. Besides no one resells them but you could probably get at least double on ebay if you bought one.

Bob Kramer | Kramer Knives - NEW! Kramer Picnic Knife

Reaction Score
I'm actually in LA but I live on the side of a mountain so we get a lot of wind and it's cool to know how strong they are - plus when it rains here it really dumps and I like to know how much we get.
Does it measure mudslides and fires? ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom