OT: Gadgets. I need to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically because I am bored.

Suggestions?

Exemptions - I have more smart phones than even William Shea recommends for marathons. Also, we have Echos and a Google Home and I just do not find them useful at all.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Does it measure mudslides and fires? ;^)
Funny you should say that - first year we owned the house, fire fighters had hoses running through our fence to fight a brush fire and we had helicopters dropping water 50 feet from my fence. This year, they were about a quarter mile away - so things are getting better. No mud slides yet.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sevenhugs Smart Remote
facebook-og.jpg

One remote to rule them all? We've heard that siren song for years, but this may be it. All you do is point the thing at stuff and it works. No need for a million buttons and switching from STB to DVR to lamp to thermostat. The touch screen changes based upon what you are pointing in at. Once it is set up, you point and it works. Not cheap but pretty damn cool.

The downside is the manufacturer is French so if any of your devices put up a fight, the remote will probably surrender.
A few more thoughts on this (because I've become obsessed with the idea and it needs to happen). It seems like you point at zones to have it recognize devices but how does it deal with a TV, Cable/Sat box, Stereo/Home entertainment system, BluRay and Xbox all in the same area? Seems like some kind of voice recognition would be a benefit here or at least a menu of devices you are pointing at so you can pick one.

Next, I have to imagine that Logitech has taken notice and can commit a shitton of resources to develop something better (or just buy them and improve it). I can see Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft all getting into the game. I think pretty soon there will be plenty of choices and manufacturers improving these things to make them really awesome. The integration of something like this with an Echo or Home seems beyond obvious.

Finally what marketing genius came up with the name Sevenhugs? Who in hell wants to buy an expensive tech device from a company called Sevenhugs? Yet another reason they should be bought.

Reaction Score
Funny you should say that - first year we owned the house, fire fighters had hoses running through our fence to fight a brush fire and we had helicopters dropping water 50 feet from my fence. This year, they were about a quarter mile away - so things are getting better. No mud slides yet.
Stay safe.

Reaction Score
I've got two suggestions:
1. Google Home -- Awesome. Eventually it will be a lot better than Amazon's.

2. I built a golf simulator in my shed (Now known as the Caddyshack) for about $650, including a used projector. I'm in Bristol if anyone wants to check it out.

Would love that sim, but more interested in Google Home right now. How many accesories to you need to make it useful?

Reaction Score
I've been using Chromecast modules ($35) for more than a year to "cast" videos, such as UConn game replays, to my TV's. But when I bought the GH , I added a few Chromecast Audio ($25) modules to send high quality digital (or good quality analog) audio to sound systems throughout my house. This is my favorite Google Home feature -- "Hey Google, play Pink Floyd;s Dark Side of the Moon album on the basement speakers."

I've also got a number of wifi enabled power outlets, and wifi thermostats, which so far are not GH compatible, but that's because GH is so new. Within a year, I expect a lot more things will be GH compatible.

BTW, I recommend Google Home over Amazon's Echo system for it's long term potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Finally what marketing genius came up with the name Sevenhugs? Who in hell wants to buy an expensive tech device from a company called Sevenhugs? Yet another reason they should be bought.

I think it was the same guy who decided Connecticut should have the awesome marketing power that being known as the Nutmeg State would provide.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've been using Chromecast modules ($35) for more than a year to "cast" videos, such as UConn game replays, to my TV's. But when I bought the GH , I added a few Chromecast Audio ($25) modules to send high quality digital (or good quality analog) audio to sound systems throughout my house. This is my favorite Google Home feature -- "Hey Google, play Pink Floyd;s Dark Side of the Moon album on the basement speakers."

I've also got a number of wifi enabled power outlets, and wifi thermostats, which so far are not GH compatible, but that's because GH is so new. Within a year, I expect a lot more things will be GH compatible.

BTW, I recommend Google Home over Amazon's Echo system for it's long term potential.

What gives it better potential? I'm not challenging your opinion, I really want to know. I have yet to look into these systems, but would love to have the remote ability to monitor and adjust thermostats and other things like that.

Reaction Score
Fair question, and what I wrote is strictly my opinion. However, my problem with Amazon devices, such as the Kindle, is they tend to be proprietary. I think Google is more open with their stuff and invites others to offer add-ons and improvements. One could make an argument for either system, and Amazon has nice head start, but I'm betting Google Home will soon lead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think Fishy was the guy who suggested Chromecast to me. It is great if you don't have a smart TV. Besides watching internet stuff you can cast your pictures or videos to your TV, which has been useful over the years.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What gives it better potential? I'm not challenging your opinion, I really want to know. I have yet to look into these systems, but would love to have the remote ability to monitor and adjust thermostats and other things like that.
Fair question, and what I wrote is strictly my opinion. However, my problem with Amazon devices, such as the Kindle, is they tend to be proprietary. I think Google is more open with their stuff and invites others to offer add-ons and improvements. One could make an argument for either system, and Amazon has nice head start, but I'm betting Google Home will soon lead.
As Pause said, Amazon has a pretty good head start and I highly doubt it will ever go away - too many millions of units out there. But I also agree the GH will surpass it in functionality in about 18 months. The Alphabet company was access to so much more information than any other company in the world. Amazon has a great source of information, but not everybody buys into the Amazon eco system where almost everyone (or significantly more people) use Google. Obviously the most used browser just gobbling up tons of information and the most used email system. Add in Android phones and all the information there. Sure Apple has similar information streams, but it's like a garden hose compared to a fire hose (Android 80% market world wide and 53% US, vs 20% and 43% for Apple). They are just going to win - no way around it. And I'm a big Amazon fan and have multiple Echos and Echo Dots around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom