Future big 12 | The Boneyard

Future big 12

Reaction Score
With TX and OK gone and likely BYU Cin Hou UCF joining, what does that mean for B12 WCBb?

I imagine Baylor will take a bit of a hit post Kim, but who can challenge them once TX leaves? Maybe Ia St but Fennelly is 64 so he doesn’t have -that- many years left.

OkSt ? wV?

Cin Hou UCF have had occasional decent years but nothing great or sustained.

BYU might have potential. They have shown success in other sports (eg VB), so maybe now that their wcbb team will be on a bigger stage they could rise to the occasion.

But looking like a definite drop down in quality for the b12.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, Big12 had high hopes on Raegan Pebley at TCU, who was great in 2019-20 but not so great this past year. I don’t know that I agree with our esteemed colleague VG on Cin or Houston as in Huey’s 8 years he has had exactly 2 winning seasons and no others were really close as evidenced by his 88-122 career record. He needs to this past year was no fluke. As far as Michelle Clark-Heard, yes she was good with 2 years of Jamelle’s roster but was brutal last year in yr 3 at 8-16. Too soon to tell and I am not optimistic. So Cin being up and down, ok but need more data. Now, when it comes to UCF and Coach Abe, she’s been nothing short of great in her 5 years there. They have steadily improved each year and her 5 year total is 105-44 so that is downright impressive. There was no down in her seasons. This will be a team that could jump right into the mix and be a team to beat.

Reaction Score
I agree with our esteemed colleague VG on Cin or Houston
What do you disagree with? I said they've had occasional decent seasons.

Cinci had 2 decent years but last year was a dud. Occasional, decent.
Houston had one year, prob more like 10-15 years ago, when they were a 3 seed. Very occasional.
UCF has been "great" only by comparison to previous years. Great to me is top 20. They've been borderline NCAAs, which is fine. Yes really nice progress from what it was, but do you hear UCF and think they're gonna challenge Baylor for conf title?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
BYU might have potential.
In 10 years in the WCC, they won one conference title. Finished 2nd 6 times. Gonzaga is a good program, but not quite a powerhouse. BYU also has an abysmal record against Pac 12 schools the last 4-5 years. And they've played a mixture of competitors, middle of the pack and bottom feeders from that league. I'd be really surprised if they were anything other than middle of road in the Big 12 for hoops (womens and mens probably even more so). Volleyball they should be competitive.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Just thinking about the schools they’ve lost over the years.. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, A&M.. and now Texas and Oklahoma. Those are all big flagships. It’s really surprising the conference still exists at all.

Cant imagine the SEC surviving if it lost all of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee..

Reaction Score
Just thinking about the schools they’ve lost over the years.. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, A&M.. and now Texas and Oklahoma. Those are all big flagships. It’s really surprising the conference still exists at all.

Cant imagine the SEC surviving if it lost all of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee..
Ole Miss
Ms St
Vandy
Ark
TX AM
S. Carolina
Mizzou
UK
The league would still have something to buzz about.

Reaction Score
Why do the continue to call themselves the Big 12 when they have only had ten teams for some time. Now they are down to 8. At least the Pac 12 changed their name once they added teams. I find it interesting that for a while the Big Ten had 12 teams while the Big 12 during the same time period only had 10. So I guess the Big 12 will have to find 4 teams to add. Sort of like the criteria for hiring servants becomes that they fit into the uniforms. Just from the eye test, i doubt that the Big 12 can continue to be considered to be a P conference. I think it makes sense that there are only 4 Power conferences at present. Any top football progams left in the Big 12 will end up being absorbed into one of the other 4 conferences.

Reaction Score
I think for the Big 10 and the Big 12, it’s a branding issue since there’s a conference with the a similar name elsewhere. Sure, they can change the number—but unlike the Pac10 and Pac-12, it’s easier to get confused about which conference you’re talking about if you just change the number. They’d have to rebrand under a different name entirely.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think for the Big 10 and the Big 12, it’s a branding issue since there’s a conference with the a similar name elsewhere. Sure, they can change the number—but unlike the Pac10 and Pac-12, it’s easier to get confused about which conference you’re talking about if you just change the number. They’d have to rebrand under a different name entirely.
The Big 10 tends to use the B1G a lot. Its fine, but doesn't translate to spoken words so well.

A bit of nattering about BYU in this thread. BYU is a potentially good team. They are very well coached, as long as Judkins is there, but he is 65. The deciding factor is the quality of the players, I think, and I'd be surprised if there is much interest from non-Mormons to play WBB at BYU.

UCF has the most "chops" on the list, at least historically, they actually care about WBB. Cincinnati has historically been the opposite. Houston is somewhere in-between, but I'm not a Ron Hughey fan. I just don't think he has shown much, considering his diverse background learning his profession, which included a stop at Rutgers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCF has the most "chops" on the list, at least historically
I emphatically disagree. From what I see UCF has 5 Tourney appearances with zero wins.

BYU has 14 appearances w/ a pair of Sweet 16s and several other 1st Round wins. Also many more WNIT appearances than UCF. Can't see any objective way that BYU isn't considered to have the most historical succes of any of the additions.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The first thing that needs to go is the word "big". Such an overused, meaningless term.

How about "The Medium-Sized Forgettables That Got Dumped Like Red-Headed Stepchildren by UT and OU"?

Maybe it could be tightened up a little, but I think it has potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The first thing that needs to go is the word "big". Such an overused, meaningless term.

How about "The Medium-Sized Forgettables That Got Dumped Like Red-Headed Stepchildren by UT and OU"?

Maybe it could be tightened up a little, but I think it has potential.
MSFTGDLRSUO is abit long

How about
mid-WEstern Schools That are Impotent Now that we lost our Kings

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I emphatically disagree. From what I see UCF has 5 Tourney appearances with zero wins.

BYU has 14 appearances w/ a pair of Sweet 16s and several other 1st Round wins. Also many more WNIT appearances than UCF. Can't see any objective way that BYU isn't considered to have the most historical succes of any of the additions.
I was referring to the list of teams from the current AAC.

The paragraph before was about BYU. I have known about BYU since we were at Rutgers, as Vivian somehow got to praising the program in one of her long rambles.

UCF has not had great success, arguably they haven't had very good coaches in the past. My argument is that they (reportedly) care about WBB.

I would project the 4 programs currently (from a WBB perspective):

1 - BYU
2 - UCF
3 - Houston
4 - Cincinnati

As I also said above, the future is murky in the sense that:
1 - What will happen to BYU when Jeff Judkins retires?
2 - Is the coach at UCF as good as her reputation?
3 & 4 - What (if any) moves can Houston and Cincinnati do to make their programs more competitive? I give the edge to Houston because there is slightly more evidence that they care about the program.

In football, it is probably Cinci, BYU, UCF and Houston at this time and all are "decent".

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well technically, A&M is a Land Grant not a flagship ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well technically, A&M is a Land Grant not a flagship ;)
Lol it’s true, but A&M fans will argue you to the grave that the A&M system is Texas’ OTHER flagship system.

Reaction Score
I don't think the new Big12 will be any different than the Big East. It will be one top team with a couple middle of the pack teams and several bottom feeders....

Reaction Score
I know UCF has very little historical success but when our former AD came in he put an emphasis in competing in all sports and for the most part that push has been successful in elevating other programs. The program that probably took the biggest leap for UCF was women's basketball under Coach Abe. Whether we continue to have success once we move to the Big12 remains to be seen but she's certainly elevated the program from the bottom feeder it was under Coach Joi.

I currently live in the Houston area so having more games within somewhat reasonable distances is very exciting for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom