Fun article about some players joining pickup games with regular students | The Boneyard

Fun article about some players joining pickup games with regular students

Reaction Score

Reminds me of the times I played against/with some of the players on the team 30+ years ago, and how a Gilad Katz pass gave me a hairline fracture on a finger :)

Good to see the tradition lives on.

Reaction Score
I played against 2 D1 players, please note I am a hack, I could not believe how quick they were and 6-2.

Reaction Score
There’s a long tradition of this. I remember reading about the Michigan Fab 5 hooping on outdoor courts against all comers when they arrived on campus.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I used to play at an open court in Bridgeport. One of the regulars was a cousin of one of the Fairfield players, and got 3 or 4 of them to come to the court (Washington Park) to play some of the games one Saturday. These guys from a marginal college program were so much better than anyone else in the park it was ridiculous. The only way it worked was if each team had one of them, and even then, they just ended up playing one on one and the rest of us just occupied space on the court.

Reaction Score
I used to play at an open court in Bridgeport. One of the regulars was a cousin of one of the Fairfield players, and got 3 or 4 of them to come to the court (Washington Park) to play some of the games one Saturday. These guys from a marginal college program were so much better than anyone else in the park it was ridiculous. The only way it worked was if each team had one of them, and even then, they just ended up playing one on one and the rest of us just occupied space on the court.
Similar to my experience in an adult hockey league in Cromwell. We had a former D3 player who skated circles around us all but was a great team player and could feed us the puck wherever he wanted. They moved him up to a better league after a few games.

Reaction Score
Our uconn intramural team played against different teams with Willie McCloud and Lyman. I had to cover Lyman, and the differences in levels for a scholarship player is amazing. I held Lyman to however many points he chose to get lol. Clearly I got Barros'ed

Reaction Score
Jaylin's playing pickup games in crocs? That just about sums up the difference in level.

Reaction Score
I once played against Dave Lieto in a pick up game at Northeastern. I deflected a pass off his hand out of bounds. He smacked my ass and said, "Nice d"

It was my proudest moment as an athlete.

Reaction Score
I'am actually surprised they allow the kids to play outside of practice, especially with the amount of $$ involved today. Anyone can get injured, and throw in the fact that any hatchet man can get on the court and play recklessly.

Reaction Score
I'am actually surprised they allow the kids to play outside of practice, especially with the amount of $$ involved today. Anyone can get injured, and throw in the fact that any hatchet man can get on the court and play recklessly.
you can't bubble wrap them, they're kids.

Reaction Score
I've played a lot of college players and a few pros over the years.

It's always interesting when I go to a new court to see how people treat me. I haven't touched a basketball in 2 years probably, but still. I'm 5'10, white, skinny, and wear glasses until the game starts. I don't exactly look like a baller. But at the end of the day, while you were studying or going to parties, I made 500 3s every single day for 4 years and practiced 2 hours a day on top of lifting. Now imagine doing that, but it's the best player on the best prep team that I couldn't even get onto at all. Then he gets 4 years of the best coaching available, a nutrition program, top-notch S&C, and you have a UConn basketball player.

Reaction Score
Woody

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads