For Uconn to go deep into NCAA tournament... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For Uconn to go deep into NCAA tournament...

Reaction Score
For each team, matchups should play a bigger role than ever before.

Reaction Score
Olivia is like Azura, which is why Azura left for the WNBA. She didn't want to be a traditional, back-to-the-basket center. Aaliyah is totally different. She enjoys the contact. Olivia will be a 4 in the WNBA.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The comparison and level to me for ONO to be very effective is Jessica Moore. Similar build, really ran the floor well and held her own in the post. If she plays like Moore, we will be very difficult to beat.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey can start shooting more than just fast breaks, that will make her another weapon the opponent needs to cover. She is afraid to shoot- passes back outside whenever she gets the ball 5-10 feet from basket. She’s a great rebounder for sure, but I want her to get greedy for points.

Reaction Score
I recall a few games back...
(can't remember which one)...maybe SJ...UConn shooting to the right
in the 1st quarter; Liv made some wonderful passes; terrific plays
Thought to myself...she's really got the idea...fabulous game
Perhaps the same game, she got a pass in the post and drove straight to the hoop.
In both cases, she opened up huge amounts of real estate for the team to operate.

What's the point?...From time to time, she's awesome and very helpful.
That just might be enough.

This team rises or falls (maybe not the latter in any case)
on the Freshman class and Mama.
Liv is very under-rated IMO ... not only passing ...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My view on ONO is she has improved markedly the last month - perhaps reflective of changes in the players around her as well. But some of her characteristics have improved such as the tendency to foul on shot blocks (tomahawk chop) and erratic free throw pattern.

Credit due - I think she has become a formidable passer and facilitator, really good in my judgement.

Her body type is lean and she does get bounced around by weightier bigs, although I think this is improved perhaps with the addition of Aaliyah Edwards who I believe is an excellent counterpart to Liv's play and the entire team's approach. Aaliyah takes some of the foul pressure off ONO.

We STILL suffer in the outside shooting/3 point ability, save for Paige. Historically this has been a strength and it just isn't now - at least not consistently.

CW helps on this, but still looking for Evina to become more consistent and/or Nika Muhl too. Not to criticize as both play great in other dimensions.

As to the premise of not going deep in the National Tournament - I think that is a real risk absent more consistent free throws, 3 pointers, foul minimization between Liv & Aaliyah and consistent flow. I see us now as consistently a excellent defensive team which can handle most good teams...

...AND

...when we hit our stride we are a match against top 5 teams, with the caveat "when we hit our stride".
And they have to hit their stride against us.

Reaction Score
To go deep into the tourney, Edwards needs to play a lot more minutes. ONO is simply not the player to dominate under the bucket, but Edwards certainly is. And as Coach Geno has said so many times, he needs that big player to play like a "big."

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
ONO has tough toughen up. It seems when she can't easily score and defend, she pouts and hides. A good player gets defended harder than an average player. A good player learns to respond on the court not pout.

She is becoming the anti AE.
Oh

Reaction Score
If UConn plays to it's potential then there is no doubt they can win it all. If they fall flat in a game any of the top 16 can knock them out.

Reaction Score
In regards to the bold/ Geno's system-- can you explain how you would have changed the attack from the 19-20 team of last year from less guard centric?

In regards to 18-19 -- can you explain how would you have done things differently? In that UCONN had 1 post player in Collier, and even Collier at her best is facing the basket – and not a true post. As a result a spread offense would have been best for her, right?

In the last 4-5 years Geno had Azura and Camara to go along Gabby and Collier, in some combination of all 4, and you're suggesting that wasn’t enough?

Should Geno have anticipated that Azura was then going to leave after 1 year, and Camara would not be able to provide any significant minutes during her tenure? Camara was a good player at Ky.

In regards to recruits he had Charli Collier. He was supposed to anticipate the hurricane that forced her to change her mind very late in the recruiting process?

Tell me if you’re a low post recruit that is ranked around 10th overall and you see UCONN got Azura and Camara-- what chance would of playing time would you believe you’d have been you were going to get much time? And what about after they got The Verbal from Collier? Who else is going to commit?

Yes he probably made a mistake the year with Boston. Maybe should’ve pushed for Davenport. I don't know.

Other than that- what else could he have done? He's an uptempo fastbreak coach - that ofc wants to run. He's not going to get a lot of post players for his bench.

As for what you are seeing now—how much do you think UCONN will be able to pound the ball inside vs Stanford, NC State and South Carolina to name a few?
One of my pet peeves in recent years has been the lack of a go-to play or two inside the lane for an easy bucket when the team absolutely needs it. We just seemed unable to utilize the bigs we had to change the look of the offense and throw the other team off balance.

Most here will agree that Geno prefers a read-and-react style of motion offense facilitated by outstanding guard play. But when that has bogged down, the lack of more deliberate playmaking late in tight games has contributed to a few bad losses.

I think the Arkansas game is the most recent example of this. We towered over those guys inside, but chose to play their game on their terms.

But what we've seen lately, in the last two games especially, is an attack that is more balanced inside and out. The way Butler's zone was carved up by Uconn last night was text book. It was a delight to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To go deep into the tourney, Edwards needs to play a lot more minutes. ONO is simply not the player to dominate under the bucket, but Edwards certainly is. And as Coach Geno has said so many times, he needs that big player to play like a "big."
Yes AE needs to play more minutes but not at the expense of ONO .. there are several good candidates for reduced minutes...

Reaction Score
Aubrey is not going to turn into a confident shooter this year. However, she needs to work on her shooting next year, or with all the talent, she may play fewer minutes.

Reaction Score
You can't decide where your shots are going to come from .. that's up to the defense .. Butler's defense enabled Aaliyah to get some close-in shots yestidday, eh? and Aaliyah made the most of it!
Yes AE needs to play more minutes but not at the expense of ONO .. there are several good candidates for reduced minutes...
Jingo, no personal attack here, just BB conversation. I know you know the game but at times we all see things a little different. It has been very evident you are a very staunch supporter of Olivia, actually has one wondering if you are her dad. :)
I also am a big fan of her and became even more enamored with her last season. Had the opportunity to sit court side. I'm talking end of bench seats for half the game and under the basket for the other half.
Got to see sweat flying close unbelievably just how hard she works. You can go back in my posts last year on what I thought and still think of her.
Having said that and I predicted it would be this year, she has a corner to turn. I hope it comes sooner rather than later. You say one cannot decide where your shot is going to come from? How is it CW, PB, AE can put the ball on the floor and split defenders for baskets and O can't simply turn and shoot when getting a pass down low? You must remember put back drills eh?

On your second point I completely agree but with Geno now down to his preferred 7 man rotation. Who are your candidates for reduced minutes? My guess is match ups and what the other team has on the floor will or should decide.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey can start shooting more than just fast breaks, that will make her another weapon the opponent needs to cover. She is afraid to shoot- passes back outside whenever she gets the ball 5-10 feet from basket. She’s a great rebounder for sure, but I want her to get greedy for points.
Aubrey will see time on the floor when we need to protect a lead but will be on bench when we need points.

Reaction Score
One of my pet peeves in recent years has been the lack of a go-to play or two inside the lane for an easy bucket when the team absolutely needs it. We just seemed unable to utilize the bigs we had to change the look of the offense and throw the other team off balance.

Most here will agree that Geno prefers a read-and-react style of motion offense facilitated by outstanding guard play. But when that has bogged down, the lack of more deliberate playmaking late in tight games has contributed to a few bad losses.

I think the Arkansas game is the most recent example of this. We towered over those guys inside, but chose to play their game on their terms.

But what we've seen lately, in the last two games especially, is an attack that is more balanced inside and out. The way Butler's zone was carved up by Uconn last night was text book. It was a delight to watch.

Okay - I'm bias I prefer guard play. But ofc winning it all/ winning every game - it's fun to guess what could be done. But you had said something to the effect that UCONN was a-little-too-guard-centric for your tastes. But you agree they had little-to-no other options the past 2 years, right? Otherwise what could have been done the last two years? It seems you think Geno had options. If so, what were they in your opinion to resolve your pet peeves of getting the ball inside? Who?

For example, last year and the prior year what would you have done differently? Who were the players that you want to pound the ball inside to last year?

And the prior year UCONN used Collier -- but who else did they have? They used her as much as they could, didn't they? So much so she was arguably POY. They lost to a team that year in ND who was just overall bigger up front. What is it that you wanted done differently considering who UCONN had? We can’t just say "pound the ball inside" if they don’t have the personnel.

And for Arkansas-- what were you expecting? Edwards got into foul trouble and played just 13 minutes. UCONN scored 87 points while shooting 55% from the floor and over 50% from 3 yet you are criticizing the offense? They had an efG% of 65% and TS% of 65.75%. If you were a coach you wouldn’t be satisfied if your team shot these numbers?

And

Reaction Score
Jingo, no personal attack here, just BB conversation. I know you know the game but at times we all see things a little different. It has been very evident you are a very staunch supporter of Olivia, actually has one wondering if you are her dad. :)
I also am a big fan of her and became even more enamored with her last season. Had the opportunity to sit court side. I'm talking end of bench seats for half the game and under the basket for the other half.
Got to see sweat flying close unbelievably just how hard she works. You can go back in my posts last year on what I thought and still think of her.
Having said that and I predicted it would be this year, she has a corner to turn. I hope it comes sooner rather than later. You say one cannot decide where your shot is going to come from? How is it CW, PB, AE can put the ball on the floor and split defenders for baskets and O can't simply turn and shoot when getting a pass down low? You must remember put back drills eh?

On your second point I completely agree but with Geno now down to his preferred 7 man rotation. Who are your candidates for reduced minutes? My guess is match ups and what the other team has on the floor will or should decide.
Yeah Woof u r 100% right that who is on the floor will depend on match-ups; that is why as we start to play [in March] against the bigger and stronger teams, AE will get more minutes probly at the expense of CW or EW, eh?
And yeah, you've noticed(smile), that i m a big fan of ONO bcuz I think she is the 'hub' [passing] of our offense and the anchor [shot-blocking, intimidation] of our defense. Moving her [primarily] to the high-post after the TN game was a brilliant move by Geno since the offense [ball-movement] improved dramatically and AE blossomed close to the basket, eh?
And no, i m not Liv's dad, haha, but i m dad to two All-City hoopsters who played for Christ the King [Queens] .. they both played in college and one of them played in Belgium.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Was Geno guard-centric in the Stewie and Tuck years? Asking for a friend. It's one thing for us in the BY to think we can redesign Liv's game; Geno doesn't have that option. His job is to utilize her in a way that maximizes her value and he clearly thinks that means posting her up high for significant minutes. To me the biggest key to the Huskies ability to compete in the paint in the E8 and beyond is going to be Aaliyah's improved ability to avoid fouls. In a paint-heavy game, Aubrey also becomes important for her rebounding but when we go big, expect a lot of Paige creating for herself on the offensive end. Against teams that don't threaten to dominate us inside, Geno may go small for long stretches, I think that's his preferred offensive set, with Liv or Aaliyah down low.

Reaction Score
I have seen her flail at opponents several times this season. I don’t know what happened yesterday for her technical, but she let it affect her game. A perfect example was yesterday when she got beat down the lane on the hesitation dribble. She swung wildly at the girl. She sometimes gets this look in her eyes of an unfocused stare. Ron Artest (Metta World Peace) and Bill Laimbeer had the same stare. I’m hoping she get this out of her game before it becomes a real problem.
Unbelievable! You actually compared our Liv, who to the best of my knowledge has never been in any kind of altercation on court (certainly not a serious one) to two of the dirtiest (laimbeer), most notorious, confrontational and aggressive players in NBA history!
I have to say, I’m not real worried! SMH! I’ll predict right now that your post will be the only time Olivia’s name will ever be connected to Artest and Laimbeer in that manner.

Reaction Score
When looking at our chances for the NCAA tournament there are a few things I would worry about in terms of - having a really bad shooting night for Paige, getting into foul trouble or having a team/player that just gets really really hot from 3....however I think if you look at other contenders they all have bigger issues then that. Our issues are all ifs, buts and maybes but there issues are legitimate “we need to sort this now” type eg SC who many people had as potential winners are struggling to involve Boston, struggling to get assists from their guards and all look gassed in late 4th quarter games...those aren’t issues that’ll be fixed before the tournament starts.

Reaction Score
IMO, I think they just need to show up. :rolleyes:
I have seen all the top teams play more than once. This Uconn team matches up well against them all. AE adds so much physicality down low that the "bully" teams will not have any advantage. In addition, we are so much quicker than anyone else, that rebounding and running will get us to where we want to go.

Reaction Score
Hi Gus. If she could consistently knock down a 15' shot from the stripe or elbow, that would be great. She doesn't have to shoot from behind the arc. ONO can be very effective from 15" in. When she gets the ball on the block, she must finish that possession with a score (or a foul), even when she is guarded by a player of equal stature.

Aaliyah Edwards is showing all of us (9/10 from the field yesterday) the success that can be had shooting close in. Aaliyah does not have to shoot from far out. She shot 90% yesterday. That's getting it done! That is how she got most of her 24 points......bunnies and layups. Going 6/6 from the line helped too. As Bill Belichick would say......just roll up your sleeves and do your job!!! :) Whether she got the accolades and recognition or not, Aaliyah Edwards was a bad ass yesterday!!! ;)
Agreed. But a lot of her misses from the stripe/elbow seem to result in bounce-back rebounds; yet she seems to back up after she releases those shots, instead of following her shot. Wouldnt the follow result in more rebounds/putbacks??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom