For Uconn to go deep into NCAA tournament... | The Boneyard

For Uconn to go deep into NCAA tournament...

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
ONO has tough toughen up. It seems when she can't easily score and defend, she pouts and hides. A good player gets defended harder than an average player. A good player learns to respond on the court not pout.

She is becoming the anti AE.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ONO has tough toughen up. It seems when she can't easily score and defend, she pouts and hides. A good player gets defended harder than an average player. A good player learns to respond on the court not pout.

Really, pouts and hides. Hmm. I don't recall ever seeing this. I see her getting frustrated especially when she is working her butt off to post up, moving around with an arm in the air and not getting the pass. She is also getting the p**p beat out of her and due to her slight frame, that has to hurt her. But she hangs in there doing her best game in and game out.

Reaction Score
Ono is somewhat of a finesse player for a big, but I like the way she's getting better every day at the things she can do, and isn't trying to be something she is not. What more can you ask? I think her attitude is always top notch out there.

We are fortunate to have both her and Edwards, as they compliment each other beautifully. It's also great to see Geno "rediscovering" how to balance the team's play around a solid big or two. His systems had become a little too guard-centric for my liking, granted the recruiting results did necessitate some of that.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

No. She does not pout. Liv is a finesse player, not a banger. Some posters need to get that straight. She takes more pounding in the low post than you know. Yesterday was a prime example for which she spoke up and got T. Liv will be just fine. She is a very good player who many do not appreciate.

Aaliyah Edwards is a completely different player.

Reaction Score
My view on ONO is she has improved markedly the last month - perhaps reflective of changes in the players around her as well. But some of her characteristics have improved such as the tendency to foul on shot blocks (tomahawk chop) and erratic free throw pattern.

Credit due - I think she has become a formidable passer and facilitator, really good in my judgement.

Her body type is lean and she does get bounced around by weightier bigs, although I think this is improved perhaps with the addition of Aaliyah Edwards who I believe is an excellent counterpart to Liv's play and the entire team's approach. Aaliyah takes some of the foul pressure off ONO.

We STILL suffer in the outside shooting/3 point ability, save for Paige. Historically this has been a strength and it just isn't now - at least not consistently.

CW helps on this, but still looking for Evina to become more consistent and/or Nika Muhl too. Not to criticize as both play great in other dimensions.

As to the premise of not going deep in the National Tournament - I think that is a real risk absent more consistent free throws, 3 pointers, foul minimization between Liv & Aaliyah and consistent flow. I see us now as consistently a excellent defensive team which can handle most good teams...

...AND

...when we hit our stride we are a match against top 5 teams, with the caveat "when we hit our stride".

Reaction Score
I have posted elsewhere, Ono is a good player with a terrible, seemingly unbreakable habit. She brings some of the “beatings” on herself by bringing the ball down reflexively when she gets it, this invites the double team by smaller players, gives them the time to get there and presents the ball as a target. She certainly seems more comfortable and more effective up high.

Reaction Score
Yes "Credit due - I think she has become a formidable passer and facilitator, really good in my judgement." I couldn't agree more!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Geno's preferred strategy is to put Olivia high and Aaliyah low (as he has stated and as I think is optimal), Liv simply has to hit the 15-foot jump shot consistently. She has not yet done that, and she is running out of time. She had a few good games with that shot, but it has not been falling in the last few games.

It stops the inside game almost entirely if AE is getting double-teamed down low while Liv is being ignored in the high post, which seems to be the defensive practice when both players are in the game at the same time.

In every other way, I think Liv has done everything that could be expected over the course of this year. She no longer tries to fade away while shooting, and she is aggressive on offensive rebounds. She has cut down her fouling by about 80%, as has Aaliyah.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I would like to see ALL players toughen up; mentally and physically. BEGIN the game with this new toughness, and take command early which they have not done too often.

In the Tourney, they will meet big and strong teams. There is no doubt that this team wants to win. Let's make it happen!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love watching Liv play but question her shot selection. Limiting her max distance to 15 feet or so should increase her effectiveness.
Hi Gus. If she could consistently knock down a 15' shot from the stripe or elbow, that would be great. She doesn't have to shoot from behind the arc. ONO can be very effective from 15" in. When she gets the ball on the block, she must finish that possession with a score (or a foul), even when she is guarded by a player of equal stature.

Aaliyah Edwards is showing all of us (9/10 from the field yesterday) the success that can be had shooting close in. Aaliyah does not have to shoot from far out. She shot 90% yesterday. That's getting it done! That is how she got most of her 24 points......bunnies and layups. Going 6/6 from the line helped too. As Bill Belichick would say......just roll up your sleeves and do your job!!! :) Whether she got the accolades and recognition or not, Aaliyah Edwards was a bad ass yesterday!!! ;)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In order for UCONN to make a deep tournament run the freshman have to play like sophomores, the sophomores will have to get healthy, our juniors will have to lead and play like seniors because they are the only ones that have been in a NCAA tournament before.

Reaction Score
To win 3 games, just show up. I know that sounds crappy but their talent always rises up. I don’t see them losing in sweet 16. After that it will be focus on defense, and details like floor spacing, footwork, and not being afraid to take open shots and limiting bad decisions. I do see some more upsets this year making an easier path for some teams to to a FF.

Reaction Score
Ono is somewhat of a finesse player for a big, but I like the way she's getting better every day at the things she can do, and isn't trying to be something she is not. What more can you ask? I think her attitude is always top notch out there.

We are fortunate to have both her and Edwards, as they compliment each other beautifully. It's also great to see Geno "rediscovering" how to balance the team's play around a solid big or two. His systems had become a little too guard-centric for my liking, granted the recruiting results did necessitate some of that.

In regards to the bold/ Geno's system-- can you explain how you would have changed the attack from the 19-20 team of last year from less guard centric?

In regards to 18-19 -- can you explain how would you have done things differently? In that UCONN had 1 post player in Collier, and even Collier at her best is facing the basket – and not a true post. As a result a spread offense would have been best for her, right?

In the last 4-5 years Geno had Azura and Camara to go along Gabby and Collier, in some combination of all 4, and you're suggesting that wasn’t enough?

Should Geno have anticipated that Azura was then going to leave after 1 year, and Camara would not be able to provide any significant minutes during her tenure? Camara was a good player at Ky.

In regards to recruits he had Charli Collier. He was supposed to anticipate the hurricane that forced her to change her mind very late in the recruiting process?

Tell me if you’re a low post recruit that is ranked around 10th overall and you see UCONN got Azura and Camara-- what chance would of playing time would you believe you’d have been you were going to get much time? And what about after they got The Verbal from Collier? Who else is going to commit?

Yes he probably made a mistake the year with Boston. Maybe should’ve pushed for Davenport. I don't know.

Other than that- what else could he have done? He's an uptempo fastbreak coach - that ofc wants to run. He's not going to get a lot of post players for his bench.

As for what you are seeing now—how much do you think UCONN will be able to pound the ball inside vs Stanford, NC State and South Carolina to name a few?

Reaction Score
oldude, you sure your not youngdude? I totally agree with your post.....win 6 games!
Also, Geno says take one game at a time!
Go Huskies!
See ya tomorrow at 8 pm!

Reaction Score

Hadn’t noticed. To the contrary, I think she has really improved and is playing well consistently. She is not a banger like AE but she is a good and improving passer and is beginning to get better with her jump shots. She is showing good chemistry with Paige specially. She is much tougher than she was earlier in her college career.

Reaction Score

On offense, UConn needs to keep her at the free throw line so she can distribute, pull her defender away from the basket to open driving lanes, an hit the midrange jumper. On defense she is fine.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hi Gus. If she could consistently knock down a 15' shot from the stripe or elbow, that would be great. She doesn't have shoot form behind the arc. ONO can be very effective from 15" in!!! When she gets the ball on the block, she must finish that possession with a score, even when she is guarded by a player of equal stature.

Aaliyah Edwards is showing all of us (9/10 from the field yesterday) the success that can be had shooting close in. Aaliyah does not have to shoot from far out. She shot 90% yesterday. That's getting it done! That is how she got most of her 24 points......bunnies and layups. Going 6/6 from the line helped too. As Bill Belichick would say......just roll up your sleeves and do your job!!! :) Whether she got the accolades and recognition or not, Aaliyah Edwards was a bad ass yesterday!!! ;)
It's not a good offensive plan to use Liv and Aaliyah as a double low post. Doing that would deprive the offense of Liv's passing skills from the high post, and would make penetration by Christyn or Aubrey infeasible (because so many defenders would be down there). What would work is having Liv high and Aaliyah low, but if Liv is at the high post, she needs to draw a defender out there (or hit the unopposed jump shot if the defender doesn't come out). Only in that case can her passing skills be used to their fullest.

Reaction Score
Hi Gus. If she could consistently knock down a 15' shot from the stripe or elbow, that would be great. She doesn't have shoot form behind the arc. ONO can be very effective from 15" in!!! When she gets the ball on the block, she must finish that possession with a score, even when she is guarded by a player of equal stature.

You can't decide where your shots are going to come from .. that's up to the defense .. Butler's defense enabled Aaliyah to get some close-in shots yestidday, eh? and Aaliyah made the most of it!

Reaction Score

I have seen her flail at opponents several times this season. I don’t know what happened yesterday for her technical, but she let it affect her game. A perfect example was yesterday when she got beat down the lane on the hesitation dribble. She swung wildly at the girl. She sometimes gets this look in her eyes of an unfocused stare. Ron Artest (Metta World Peace) and Bill Laimbeer had the same stare. I’m hoping she get this out of her game before it becomes a real problem.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I recall a few games back...
(can't remember which one)...maybe SJ...UConn shooting to the right
in the 1st quarter; Liv made some wonderful passes; terrific plays
Thought to myself...she's really got the idea...fabulous game
Perhaps the same game, she got a pass in the post and drove straight to the hoop.
In both cases, she opened up huge amounts of real estate for the team to operate.

What's the point?...From time to time, she's awesome and very helpful.
That just might be enough.

This team rises or falls (maybe not the latter in any case)
on the Freshman class and Mama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom