For this Husky Fan, It's Connecticut SUN Time! | The Boneyard

For this Husky Fan, It's Connecticut SUN Time!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Draft on the 10th, training camps open a couple weeks after that. Preseason games mid-May, followed by the 2019 season tip-off on the 24th. Can't wait to get started!!

I hope everyone who loves WCBB will give the W a try by either buying a ticket or subscribing to LeaguePass. Watching the college players we rooted for (and against) compete at the game's highest level is just great.

Let's Go SUN!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup time to move on to the WNBA season. Go Sun!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How much is league pass? I assume you can watch that on your laptop or phone?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last year, about $15, as I recall. Yes, should work on those devices.

thats roughly the price of a double gyro platter with extra french fries and a cheerwine..... not bad, not bad at all:p

psconn

Reaction Score
Go Jasmine and Lexie :cool:

Lexie needs to step up this year. She looked very disinterested last year. Made it very hard to defend passing on Nurse to get her. Not an auspicious start for the Sun's first pick.

Jasmine is the Sun's warrior queen and leader. Lexie would do well to emulate her approach.

I assume you've been watching her Euro playoff games.

psconn

Reaction Score
thats roughly the price of a double gyro platter with extra french fries and a cheerwine..... not bad, not bad at all:p
If you like WBB, it's a real bargain. Lotta Dukies out there to watch... more Huskies, of course. :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lexie needs to step up this year. She looked very disinterested last year. Made it very hard to defend passing on Nurse to get her. Not an auspicious start for the Sun's first pick.

Jasmine is the Sun's warrior queen and leader. Lexie would do well to emulate her approach.

I assume you've been watching her Euro playoff games.

No..... my focus has been on men's and women's tournaments for the past month..... work, eat, sleep, watch college basketball..... thats it. :p

Brown will step it up this season.... seemed like a crowded situation up there in the backcourt though.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you like WBB, it's a real bargain. Lotta Dukies out there to watch... more Huskies, of course. :cool:

I only watch the teams with the former blue devils..... so no more Dallas....maybe no more Washington.... gotta watch Minnesota now Head bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like watching Karima, she always plays so hard.

Loved watching her at Duke... always gave it 100% .. she was a part of my all time favorite class..... along with Jasmine Thomas and Katrina Thomas.

psconn

Reaction Score
You gotta broaden those horizons, man. There's a bunch of great kids out there from all over the place. Not every great kid was wise enough to choose Duke. :rolleyes: <-- sarcasm.)

Love our 'Devils and Turtles, our Colonial, Bull, Volunteer, Cardinal, Gopher, Mountaineer, Golden Bear and of course Husky. One team, one goal.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
No..... my focus has been on men's and women's tournaments for the past month..... work, eat, sleep, watch college basketball..... thats it. :p

Brown will step it up this season.... seemed like a crowded situation up there in the backcourt though.

I think most teams have about 5 or 6 guards, the balance being the posts and wing/swing players (Stricklen and possibly Holmes on the Sun). I think what makes it seem so crowded with the Sun is that all the guards in front of Lexie are pretty darned good and have a legit claim to some minutes. The blessing and curse of the Sun is that 11 out of 12 players proved they are good to excellent WNBA players... but no superstars have emerged in a superstar-dominated game. They have a playoff quality roster that has difficulty in the post season because the game gets even more superstar dominant at playoff time.

Reaction Score
What do y'all think of the coach? I think he's had one of the best rosters in the WNBA for two years, but he hasn't made a conference finals.

psconn

Reaction Score
What do y'all think of the coach? I think he's had one of the best rosters in the WNBA for two years, but he hasn't made a conference finals.

IMO the Sun's problem is that they have a roster full of good to very good players 1-12, but no superstar level players capable of taking over a game. In the 20 year history of the franchise (including the Orlando Miracle days) they have had just 2 #1 picks... Tina Charles and Chiney Ogumike four years apart. They had 2 lottery picks in 2016 and drew the two shortest straws, #3 and #4. They have never underperformed long enough to collect multiple elite WNBA talents. By contrast, through years of epic underperformance, the Stars/Aces have had 3 #1s in a row plus the #2 the year before that. Seattle also managed to play under their talent level long enough to get Jewel and Stewie with back to back #1 picks.

As a kicker, historically it has been very difficult to attract the best free agents to spend their summers in rural Uncasville, CT.

This deep but somewhat limited roster results in really good regular season records and lack of success in the post season when opposing superstars take control of the game late and the Sun can't answer. There's no Diana/Brittany, no Nneka/Candace, no Elena, no Stewie, no Angel, etc.

With 5 players entering their 4th year, changes to the roster will have to be made for 2020. It will be impossible to retain everyone we'd like to under the salary cap. By not trading any of these players away early, Miller has essentially gone "all in" with this group for this year's run.

In my opinion, Miller is a tireless worker who is very good at the Xs and Os. He's fine as a coach, although he yells and freaks out a bit too much for my liking. With 20/20 hindsight, deficiencies may have been seen on the GM side at times.

Reaction Score
IMO the Sun's problem is that they have a roster full of good to very good players 1-12, but no superstar level players capable of taking over a game. In the 20 year history of the franchise (including the Orlando Miracle days) they have had just 2 #1 picks... Tina Charles and Chiney Ogumike four years apart. They had 2 lottery picks in 2016 and drew the two shortest straws, #3 and #4. They have never underperformed long enough to collect multiple elite WNBA talents. By contrast, through years of epic underperformance, the Stars/Aces have had 3 #1s in a row plus the #2 the year before that. Seattle also managed to play under their talent level long enough to get Jewel and Stewie with back to back #1 picks.

As a kicker, historically it has been very difficult to attract the best free agents to spend their summers in rural Uncasville, CT.

This deep but somewhat limited roster results in really good regular season records and lack of success in the post season when opposing superstars take control of the game late and the Sun can't answer. There's no Diana/Brittany, no Nneka/Candace, no Elena, no Stewie, no Angel, etc.

With 5 players entering their 4th year, changes to the roster will have to be made for 2020. It will be impossible to retain everyone we'd like to under the salary cap. By not trading any of these players away early, Miller has essentially gone "all in" with this group for this year's run.

In my opinion, Miller is a tireless worker who is very good at the Xs and Os. He's fine as a coach, although he yells and freaks out a bit too much for my liking. With 20/20 hindsight, deficiencies may have been seen on the GM side at times.
I like that analysis. It’s true they’ve lacked a super star player but have a great roster overall.

Reaction Score
Agree with psconn on all counts. The current Sun team is a likeable group - I would love to see them win a championship, but it seems like a bit of wishful thinking considering how super-powered some other teams are (Storm, Mercury - and now the Aces). It’s still rewarding to be hopeful, though, with such spirited, positive players like Jasmine, Chiney, Morgan, Rachel - the whole group of them! Looking forward to seeing them hungry, locked in and ready to dominate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom