For Handy Reference "The Shot" | The Boneyard

For Handy Reference "The Shot"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why should you have to Fast Forward to see Paige nail it?

Paige “Buckets“ is going to make lots of BIG shots during her UConn career. This was the first!! It was a timely and well placed DAGGER (in the heart) of an opponent in the heat of battle that sealed the victory. That shot made me shout!! Geno was cool and calm on the outside, but he was fist pumping and saying “hell yeah” on the inside.

It took all of the hope and energy out of team Tennessee and their fans. :D The game was over!! If it were not against NCAA rules, I don’t think Paige‘s money would be good at some of the local restaurants in Storrs the next few weeks.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Next year... Bueckers when the game is on the line, "I want to take that shot"...Azzi, "No, I wanna be the one to take that shot". Buckers...okay "but only if I get the assist"...then in harmonic spontaneity you hear from Ducharme and Poffenbarger as they chime in with..."what about us, we can make that shot"....

Carnac

Reaction Score
Next year... Bueckers when the game is on the line, "I want to take that shot"...Azzi, "No, I wanna be the one to take that shot". Buckers...okay "but only if I get the assist"...then in harmonic spontaneity you hear from Ducharme and Poffenbarger as they chime in with..."what about us, we can make that shot"....
The solution to this dilemma.......................flip for it, :p or throw another ball out there. The sir-name "Buckets", will be proudly worn by all four of those players next year. Each one of them very capable of putting the ball in the basket when a basket is really needed. Diana Taurasi once said "If you're going to "get" UConn, you'd better do it THIS year." meaning next year (I believe it was Stewie's sophomore year), they were going to be a real tough match-up for everybody, and a team you really didn't want to see in March.

I'm not stepping that far out on the limb, and suggest that UConn will be THAT good, BUT............I am feeling a very strong "vibe" coming from next year's team. Liv and Christyn will be seniors. Maybe Evina comes back for her red shirt senior year. Piath will be a little more comfortable, and the game will have slowed down for her. Nika will be in her comfort zone. Mir and Aubrey will be more than ready to hurt somebody. Amari DeBerry will be in the house eager to contribute any and every way she can giving Geno a ton of depth at the post position.

Hopefully the COVID crisis will be over, and life in WCBB returns to normal. No more canceled or postponed games.
UConn is going to be a team with few if any weaknesses. I think early on in the season, UConn will establish themselves as a top 3, or THE top team in Division 1 WCBB. Something to think about. :cool:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Brings back bad childhood memories of "keep away" with my bag lunch. :oops::oops:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think the men’s side has dibs on “The Shot”. Tate George

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Apart from the obvious, the thing that stands out to me about that possession is that Anna was wide open not just at the end, but nearly for the entire possession. I can understand that people would not want to trust her with the big shot when she had not played too much in the game (and maybe the team knew about her foot problems), but TN really didn't make much of an effort to guard her at any point in that possession. If Paige had missed and the game had been lost, there would have been a lot of "why didn't they pass to Anna" posts on this forum in the following days.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apart from the obvious, the thing that stands out to me about that possession is that Anna was wide open not just at the end, but nearly for the entire possession. I can understand that people would not want to trust her with the big shot when she had not played too much in the game (and maybe the team knew about her foot problems), but TN really didn't make much of an effort to guard her at any point in that possession. If Paige had missed and the game had been lost, there would have been a lot of "why didn't they pass to Anna" posts on this forum in the following days.
Not really. Paige had the open shot. Geno wants her to take the shot if open. Everyone on the boneyard would understand. If Paige was covered better ( a function of her riugh shooting night) she would have given the shot up to Anna if their was time.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but when Paige sank her 3 pointer, the game outcome was already decided. The score was 63-61, Good Guys, before she scored. The Lady Vols would not score another point in the final 42 seconds of the game so Paige only added to the Margin of Victory. But I agree, it was a great shot!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but when Paige sank her 3 pointer, the game outcome was already decided. The score was 63-61, Good Guys, before she scored. The Lady Vols would not score another point in the final 42 seconds of the game so Paige only added to the Margin of Victory. But I agree, it was a great shot!!!!
You aren't being a Debbie Downer you are simply mistaken. The game was not decided before Paige's shot. A Paige miss and a TN rebound would have left 14 seconds left on the game clock and TN with a time out and only down by 2. TN had 4 different players make shots to cut the lead from 9 to 2 points. UCONN by contracts had 4 different players (Evina, CW, Aubrey & ONO) miss shots in that same span.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's a big difference between the lead being 5 as opposed to 2. It changes how the lady vols approach the end of the game completely.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
There's a big difference between the lead being 5 as opposed to 2. It changes how the lady vols approach the end of the game completely.
Their approach, no matter what, was to win...they failed.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not really. Paige had the open shot. Geno wants her to take the shot if open. Everyone on the boneyard would understand. If Paige was covered better ( a function of her riugh shooting night) she would have given the shot up to Anna if their was time.
Geno wanted Paige o take the shot. Look at the replay again. Watch Geno. He kept pointing to Paige continuously throughout that possession. They finally got it to her with time running out.

Reaction Score
Bueckers will have a field day if she plays. With a 6'1" post opposing her Bueckers should be able to turn the paint area into her playground. At least I hope. And I don't think ESPN would mind either.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When Paige took that shot and made it Geno really did not react, which surprised me. He just pivoted and took a step up court. No fist pump, no nothing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Paige took that shot and made it Geno really did not react, which surprised me. He just pivoted and took a step up court. No fist pump, no nothing.

Maybe he felt it would be a bit disrespectful on a day where Pat Summitt was central. Also, he may have been internally thinking more about Paige's long term prognosis.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac sez.......no way Paige sits this one out. Buckets plays, and is part of the reason UConn comes away with a win.

Arkansas has agreed to play UConn in Storrs within the next 3 years, per a report released yesterday.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Yeah, and Paige's shot is what made the game unwinnable.
You can think that but the bottom line is that TN had already scored their final point before the shot. Fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom