Food and Drink Recommendations Portsmouth NH | The Boneyard

Food and Drink Recommendations Portsmouth NH

Reaction Score
I am heading up in a few weeks. Appreciate any input. If there is anything must see, that would be appreciated too. And where do they play the combine games?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is actually tough…throw a rock and you hit something awesome to see, eat or drink.

Food -

1) Lexi’s Joint. You gotta. Not optional…you gotta go get a burger here.
2) Cure. Great place for dinner, but there are tons of great places for dinner.

Like the Bar Harbor thread….definitely recommend #1.

1) Rent bikes.
2) Portsmouth Brewery tour.
3) Market Square, Prescott Park.
4) You’re 10’ from Maine. Kittery is right over the bridge, Kennebunkport is 25 miles away.
5) Beer in a paper bag, stare at waterfront. (Personal fav)

Reaction Score
I've been to Earth Eagle Brewing but wasn't a big fan. Red Hook is a bigger place with enough beers where you'll find one you like. Portsmouth Brewing downtown is fine but nothing special. If you're willing to go a little outside town, I like Smuttynose and the restaurant there is quite good. I also ate a tiny place called Geno's that had a limited menu but the chowder and lobster roll were good. Right on the water.

Reaction Score
This is actually tough…throw a rock and you hit something awesome to see, eat or drink.

Food -

1) Rent bikes.
4) You’re 10’ from Maine. Kittery is right over the bridge, Kennebunkport is 25 miles away.

I did a tiny bit of research before posting and Cure stood out. Unless I am a moron, which is possible, I could only find their Winter 21 menu.

A friend recommended Black Birch in Kittery. My fav food is a burger so Lexi’s is a no brainer. Mike recommended The Friendly Toast for brunch which looked great.

I am only going from Friday a.m. til Sunday afternoon so I expect to have the itinerary solidified before I leave.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is neither food nor drink, but I’ve been to Portsmouth only once, around 25 years ago, and aside from a memory that the place seemed very cool in general, the one thing that stands out is that there were several cool antique/vintage shops that were overflowing with quality stuff that was very reasonably priced.

We literally stopped for lunch on the way back from a wedding in Maine and ended up buying a massive old oak post box (which used to be in the Westbrook, Maine post office) that I have used as my cellar wine rack since, and a black iron hanging candelabra that was exactly what he had been looking for for our house at the time (which was in Westbrook, CT, and made the post box thing even cooler).

If we had more room in my old Pathfinder, we easily would have come home with a few thousand dollars of stuff. We vowed to go back just for more stuff and, well, life happened and that hasn’t yet.

Reaction Score

Food -

1) Rent bikes.
Don’t those bags leak?

Reaction Score
Good friend of mine lives there. Been going up there for 35 years.

Not sure if the combine question was a joke but I'll bite anyway. The combine is in Portsmouth, VA, not Portsmouth, NH.

Beer: Portsmouth Brewery is a favorite of mine. Maybe just because I've been going there for over 25 years and it's in the middle of the city with lots of stuff to do around it. Downtown is pretty small so easy to walk around everywhere. Went to Earth Eagle Brewing last time I was in Portsmouth just because we wanted to sit outside. Beer was meh. Best beer around there IMO is Deciduous Brewing Company. But it's outside of Portsmouth and I don't think they have a tap room. Just pick up and take out.

Food: Like Ristorante Massimo, Toscana Italian Chophouse (my friend's favorite In town), Black Trumpet Bistro, and Row 34. You said you like burgers so try BRGR Bar for lunch.

I never really go to the beaches around there. We go up to the Maine beaches. York and Ogunquit. Water is really cold this time of year. Well the water is always cold, even in August!

Reaction Score
I did a tiny bit of research before posting and Cure stood out. Unless I am a moron, which is possible, I could only find their Winter 21 menu.

A friend recommended Black Birch in Kittery. My fav food is a burger so Lexi’s is a no brainer. Mike recommended The Friendly Toast for brunch which looked great.

I am only going from Friday a.m. til Sunday afternoon so I expect to have the itinerary solidified before I leave.

Black Birch is a must whenever I visit my folks, who live about 15 minutes from Portsmouth. They don't take reservations, so the wait might be pretty long on the weekend (I always go during the week, and it's rarely over 20 minutes). They serve you beer/wine/cocktails while you wait to help you maintain your patience.

Cure is great too, and give Moxy a look.

If you like lobster, Chauncey Creek in Kittery is excellent. Menu is pretty much lobsters, steamers, and mussels, and it's BYOB. Don't be put off by their unremarkable score on Google -- most of the negative reviews are for their lobster roll, but you go there for lobster in the rough.

Reaction Score
If you're into Jazz/Blues Jimmy's Jazz & Blues Club is a fantastic new venue in Portsmouth. Twenty million was poured into the old Y on Congress Street. I'm willing to bet nothing can touch it on the east coast. Too much to describe here so go to the website. Highly recommend getting tickets ahead of time. All assigned tables/seats. No standing room.

Reaction Score
It’s already been said in this thread multiple times, but Black Birch is a must. Had a friend who worked there and we’d go every time we visited her. From my experience, you can’t go wrong with anything on their menu.

Reaction Score
Just south of Portsmouth on 1A Petey's Summer time Seafood for all fried seafood needs.

Lagos ice cream on 1 just south of Portsmouth

The Library if you are looking for an old school higher end steak, brilliant peanut butter pie

Friendly Toast excellent breakfast

Street is an interesting menu I think is good premise is street foods across the world- brunch lunch place

Reaction Score
So Earth Eagle Was my favorite brewery there but I didn’t have a single complaint about anywhere we went the entire weekend. Great town.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Apparently it's closed down and turning into a bank or something
OH NO! Oh well. It's been two years since I visited my brother in law there which is why I didn't offer any other ideas given all the changes in hospitality.

Reaction Score
Just south of Portsmouth on 1A Petey's Summer time Seafood for all fried seafood needs.

Lagos ice cream on 1 just south of Portsmouth

The Library if you are looking for an old school higher end steak, brilliant peanut butter pie

Friendly Toast excellent breakfast

Street is an interesting menu I think is good premise is street foods across the world- brunch lunch place

I am hungry just reading the Street menu. What a cool concept.

Reaction Score
Go see the USS Albacore, a major milestone in US Submarine design (teardrop shaped hull).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In Portsmouth today
Just left Cafe Mediterraneo which is a Portsmouth favorite of mine
The Library is very good also
Got gelato and espresso go to Tuscan Market

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
What a great little city. Portsmouth Brewery and the Friendly Toast were already mentioned, we visited as a family of 4 and both were great.

Reaction Score
Clay Hill Farm in York. Maybe 15 minutes away.. the grounds are a bird sanctuary. Food is very good. Change from beach food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom