Fluid situation... | The Boneyard

Fluid situation...

Reaction Score
Let the dominoes fall one way and see how they fall the other way. Maybe there's not any panic from the staff vs the Boneyard and there is a plan. Nothing we can do.

Would be real sad to lose Durham or Vital because of their stories. But kids need to do what they feel is right for them. Weird situation in Storrs.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks, hang in there way too many ledges out there. Although some of you can find the nearest one please.;)

Reaction Score
Let the dominoes fall one way and see how they fall the other way. Maybe there's not any panic from the staff vs the Boneyard and there is a plan. Nothing we can do.

Would be real sad to lose Durham or Vital because of their stories. But kids need to do what they feel is right for them. Weird situation in Storrs.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks, hang in there way too many ledges out there. Although some of you can find the nearest one please.;)
Really would hate to lose either kid. Christian is the perfect 4 year guy you can win championships with. Durham is a kid we've been excited about who after two knee injuries and a year of strength development could start to flash the immense talent he possesses. With the frontcourt seemingly wide open, it's a head scratcher that any confident, talented kid wouldn't stay to assert his claim to serious minutes and exposure.

Reaction Score
PT or the players perception of PT is at the bottom of all this. We have enough guards with or without Vital but we would be a deeper team with him for sure. I just hope Durham comes back. He has incredible potential to become a stud.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I need to vent. What's going on makes no sense. All season long we've been hearing, the good thing about this awful season is that guys like Vital, Jackson, Enoch were getting valuable playing time and this would bear fruit next season. We've now lost the senior core of Purvis, Facey and Brimah, opening up huge playing time for the young guys to shine. With Larrier, Diarra and Gilbert coming back from injuries, there's no way of knowing what level they will play to so another good sign for the young guys. We don't have a great class coming in either so again that's good for the young guys. Vital is my favorite Husky. The kid has guts and toughness like no other plater on this team and he was great this season. The future was very bright. Durham was a kid KO and UCONN stuck with despite his terrible injuries and was patient as he worked himself back. UCONN could've easily cut bait with him as many schools would have, yet he's the one without loyalty? Jackson showed great potential and I strongly believe he'd be huge for us in the coming years. Add in losing Diallo, recruiting failures and coaching changes and all of this makes no sense. "We family." Yes, a very dysfunctional one. Our conference situation is the least of our problems. I want the inside dirt on what's really going on here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I need to vent. What's going on makes no -ing sense. All season long we've been hearing, the good thing about this awful season is that guys like Vital, Jackson, Enoch were getting valuable playing time and this would bear fruit next season. We've now lost the senior core of Purvis, Facey and Brimah, opening up huge playing time for the young guys to shine. With Larrier, Diarra and Gilbert coming back from injuries, there's no way of knowing what level they will play to so another good sign for the young guys. We don't have a great class coming in either so again that's good for the young guys. Vital is my favorite Husky. The kid has guts and toughness like no other plater on this team and he was great this season. The future was very bright. Durham was a kid KO and UCONN stuck with despite his terrible injuries and was patient as he worked himself back. UCONN could've easily cut bait with him as many schools would have, yet he's the one without loyalty? Jackson showed great potential and I strongly believe he'd be huge for us in the coming years. Add in losing Diallo, recruiting failures and coaching changes and all of this makes no sense. "We family." Yes, a very dysfunctional one. Our conference situation is the least of our problems. I want the inside dirt on what's really going on here.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Reaction Score
I need to vent. What's going on makes no -ing sense. All season long we've been hearing, the good thing about this awful season is that guys like Vital, Jackson, Enoch were getting valuable playing time and this would bear fruit next season. We've now lost the senior core of Purvis, Facey and Brimah, opening up huge playing time for the young guys to shine. With Larrier, Diarra and Gilbert coming back from injuries, there's no way of knowing what level they will play to so another good sign for the young guys. We don't have a great class coming in either so again that's good for the young guys. Vital is my favorite Husky. The kid has guts and toughness like no other plater on this team and he was great this season. The future was very bright. Durham was a kid KO and UCONN stuck with despite his terrible injuries and was patient as he worked himself back. UCONN could've easily cut bait with him as many schools would have, yet he's the one without loyalty? Jackson showed great potential and I strongly believe he'd be huge for us in the coming years. Add in losing Diallo, recruiting failures and coaching changes and all of this makes no sense. "We family." Yes, a very dysfunctional one. Our conference situation is the least of our problems. I want the inside dirt on what's really going on here.
Makes perfect sense, I was counting a couple players transferring considering the horrible season, losing Enoch is a bonus, Jackson hurts, hopefully that's it and we can bring in 2 grad transfers.

Reaction Score

I think we'll have to see it play out. If it's just Enoch and Jackson and we can fill the holes then it's not the end of the world. If any more dominoes fall then we can sound the alarm

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can see why it makes no sense to you because you don't have intimate contact with the team, players or coaches. You, me and 99.999% of the people who contribute to the board have no idea whats going on behind the doors. Kids make decisions/parents make decisions/coaches make decisions/ADs make decisions. We are not involved. It is, in my opinion, irrational to be saying there is a smoking gun or conspiracy, mutiny or any other of the crazy things some come up with in trying to figure things out.
Is there "dirt"? Who knows. My thinking is not.
I think it's KO telling players that they have to fight for PT and/or there may be limited playing time so those who don't want to compete leave.
If you played as much as VJ played this year would you be happy sharing time with two others? Or if your father is blowing crap in your ears that you are the next coming of MJ?
We all saw some glimpses of offensive spark in SE but at the same time saw he was a defensive disaster. KO could not afford to play him any significant minutes - SE was not quick enough at this level. VJ had offensive upside - no doubt- BUT the kid shied away from taking his shot and was also a defensive liability. They both were lateral movement deficient and you can't teach foot speed.
I hate to see any kid quit - it breaks my heart but sometimes it doesn't seem worth trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Should either have committed to UConn? probably not, especially VJ - many of us saw this coming since December

Reaction Score

OZ‏ @Oz3178 34m34 minutes ago
Husky Nation - No one besides Vance and Steve have transferred or leaving! #NoFakeNews

Reaction Score
What a mess. If things don't get straightened out pretty quickly the first guy to leave next March won't be a player.

Reaction Score
People need to take valium around here. I swear.

You're not losing Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton, here. You're using an inconsistent, prospecty kid who thinks that more playing time after playing a lot his freshman year isn't enough. Or his Dad doesn't like how he's been used. Whatever it is - it's about him and him only - so he's leaving. You're losing another kid who's basically just a tool box, but hasn't made much in the way of improvement in any way, shape or form. There isn't a single, solitary thing about either guy that isn't incredibly replacement - outside of some internet dork's ranking of them on a recruiting website.

And trust me, if this kid is worried about MORE playing time in a roster where he's going to get even more of it - then good riddance. Go, go far away and let your Dad reverse coach someone else's bench. I don't care how much talent this kid has - there are way too many good (now, not in la la land) players out there to put up with that. Go back and read every player's tweet since Jackson made his announcement and it tells you everything in the world you need to know.

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MORE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - BUT START WITH BEING BETTER AT BASKETBALL.

If that's not in the cards, then playing at UConn - or any elite division-1 basketball program - probably isn't for you.

Go through any top-100 recruiting list four years after the fact, it's usually a wasteland of unrealized talent. That stuff is garbage. And when you can purge your own program of guys like that - congratulations. You just made yourself infinitely better.

Reaction Score
I can see why it makes no sense to you because you don't have intimate contact with the team, players or coaches. You, me and 99.999% of the people who contribute to the board have no idea whats going on behind the doors. Kids make decisions/parents make decisions/coaches make decisions/ADs make decisions. We are not involved. It is, in my opinion, irrational to be saying there is a smoking gun or conspiracy, mutiny or any other of the crazy things some come up with in trying to figure things out.
Is there "dirt"? Who knows. My thinking is not.
I think it's KO telling players that they have to fight for PT and/or there may be limited playing time so those who don't want to compete leave.
If you played as much as VJ played this year would you be happy sharing time with two others? Or if your father is blowing crap in your ears that you are the next coming of MJ?
We all saw some glimpses of offensive spark in SE but at the same time saw he was a defensive disaster. KO could not afford to play him any significant minutes - SE was not quick enough at this level. VJ had offensive upside - no doubt- BUT the kid shied away from taking his shot and was also a defensive liability. They both were lateral movement deficient and you can't teach foot speed.
I hate to see any kid quit - it breaks my heart but sometimes it doesn't seem worth trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Should either have committed to UConn? probably not, especially VJ - many of us saw this coming since December
GT, I think you nailed it because it really does come down to competition and PT, and KO makes no promises. You point out that Vance shied away from his shot and that is also true, he was slow on defense to boot. His father is a culprit in this but it makes no sense because with his experience this year he would have had plenty of floor time. Hopefully another shoe doesn't drop.

Reaction Score
I'm 99% certain KO guaranteed MAL playing time next season. Beyond that, I don't know what he promised other players.
Correct.

Jeff Jacobs: Makai Ashton-Langford Likely To Have Bright Future With UConn

"I wanted Makai to make his decision on where he would go, because I played and I wouldn't have wanted anybody to make my decision for me," said DeMarr Langford, who, like his wife Sacha, played at Worcester State. "He had a bunch of options, but we kind of boiled it down to Providence, UConn and Louisville."

Ashton-Langford did not visit Louisville.

"I wanted Kai to ask questions that he wanted to know," DeMarr said. "Basically his point was, 'Wherever I go, I want to play.' That was kind of a big deal with UConn. They have a lot of guards there already, lot of talent there.

"His big question coming in to visit UConn was, am I going to get playing time? Kevin Ollie kind of guaranteed him playing time. I think that kind of made up his mind."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Correct.

"I wanted Makai to make his decision on where he would go, because I played and I wouldn't have wanted anybody to make my decision for me," said DeMarr Langford, who, like his wife Sacha, played at Worcester State. "He had a bunch of options, but we kind of boiled it down to Providence, UConn and Louisville."

"I wanted Kai to ask questions that he wanted to know," DeMarr said. "Basically his point was, 'Wherever I go, I want to play.' That was kind of a big deal with UConn. They have a lot of guards there already, lot of talent there.

"His big question coming in to visit UConn was, am I going to get playing time? Kevin Ollie kind of guaranteed him playing time. I think that kind of made up his mind."
The BYer in me says 1 minute a game = guaranteed playing time ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Correct.

"kind of guaranteed PT" is like kind of being pregnant. There is no "kind of".

Reaction Score
Correct.

That's a guarantee? Ha. He'll get the chance for sure but KO would have many ways to reduce it based on performance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Correct.

Does he have that in writing? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's a guarantee? Ha. He'll get the chance for sure but KO would have many ways to reduce it based on performance.

all it means is that he's going to have the same opportunity as anyone else. if he's the best guard on the team he'll start. I doubt Ollie broke it down and said yeah I promise you at least 20mpg your freshman year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom