Florida | The Boneyard

Florida

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thanks I have a place in Clearwater but am in Mass for the summer. It seems like we dodged a bullet when the storm waggled east before making landfall. We were in Captiva the week before Charley for my mother in law's 75 birthday Captiva took a direct hit. Tampa Bay is considered one of the most vulnerable places for storm surge in the country because it is so shallow. We installed hurricane shutters this year, stored our car inland and moved all the patio furniture inside. Our two biggest concerns now are flooding into our unit and long term loss of power. Thanks for your thoughts

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks I have a place in Clearwater but am in Mass for the summer. It seems like we dodged a bullet when the storm waggled east before making landfall. We were in Captiva the week before Charley for my mother in law's 75 birthday Captiva took a direct hit. Tampa Bay is considered one of the most vulnerable places for storm surge in the country because it is so shallow. We installed hurricane shutters this year, stored our car inland and moved all the patio furniture inside. Our two biggest concerns now are flooding into our unit and long term loss of power. Thanks for your thoughts
Good luck.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They’ve upped the expected rain totals for Orlando to 10-15”. Florida is so flat, the entire state is under a flood watch.

89C30ADB-0049-4509-838A-EF67488442FB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Thanks Dove. I am on Space Coast near Cocoa Beach but on mainland. But as HuskyNan pointed out, we will still experience a great deal of rain and windy conditions even if we avoid the brunt of the hurricane.. Starting to get windy and rainy now. Probably last a couple days.

Reaction Score
I didn't know until today that Tampa Bay is very shallow (average depth 11-12 ft). wow.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They’ve upped the expected rain totals for Orlando to 10-15”. Florida is so flat, the entire state is under a flood watch.

View attachment 79393

Typical elitist peninsula talk. Jk.

I'm at least 200 miles west of any flood alert.

Hell, western panhandle is under fire alert due to low humidity and dry winds out of the north.

Reaction Score
I didn't know until today that Tampa Bay is very shallow (average depth 11-12 ft). wow.
They talked about this on the Weather Channel and discussed how flat the shelf is in the eastern portion of the Gulf of Mexico. Tampa is prone to heavy damage from storm surges due to the Gulf and other surrounding water.

Jim Cantore was very serious a few minutes ago talking about the real possibility that Ian could be elevated to Cat 5 and would cause a great deal of damage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They talked about this on the Weather Channel and discussed how flat the shelf is in the eastern portion of the Gulf of Mexico. Tampa is prone to heavy damage from storm surges due to the Gulf and other surrounding water.

Jim Cantore was very serious a few minutes ago talking about the real possibility that Ian could be elevated to Cat 5 and would cause a great deal of damage.

You have a combination of normal high tide cycle known as King Tide, the daily high tide and the timing of the worst of the storm surge. The 150mph winds will flatten structures like Hirricane Michael did to Panama City a few years ago. While it is cliche, it is the surge in tide and water pushed inland that causes most of the deaths and does more damage than the wind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a bad storm. Some of the pictures of tornadoes were scary as hell. I was supposed to travel today to South Carolina and cancelled that. Hoping for the best for all affected. Was talking with a friend last weekend who was looking at buying a house in Bonita Springs. Seems like that town is taking a hit.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You have a combination of normal high tide cycle known as King Tide, the daily high tide and the timing of the worst of the storm surge. The 150mph winds will flatten structures like Hirricane Michael did to Panama City a few years ago. While it is cliche, it is the surge in tide and water pushed inland that causes most of the deaths and does more damage than the wind.
BA48DF7A-DEA3-4D38-80FC-43FB3D17D558.jpeg

Reaction Score
Tornado missed me by two miles last night. Warnings all throughout the night, huddled in the pantry closet multiple times. Didn't realize I moved to Kansas.
Glad you're all right. Where are you located? Since I don't have a basement like most people in Florida, I figure I would hunker down in my laundry which is the only room with no exterior walls or windows.

Reaction Score
Glad you're all right. Where are you located? Since I don't have a basement like most people in Florida, I figure I would hunker down in my laundry which is the only room with no exterior walls or windows.
Delray

Reaction Score
I am in Venice - The eye is supposed to go right over us in a few hours. My accordion shutters are slamming and the wind is whistling - rain like crazy.
Yikes, best of luck to you. Sounds like you are in the bullseye.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom