Florida transfer Noah Locke | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Florida transfer Noah Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While this may be true in pick-up games, among actual basketball players this might not be true.

Here is a study from Harvard Sports Analysis (a student run analytical group at Harvard) that shows there is a direct correlation between college FT % and NBA 3P%.

Now, we have to take this with a grain of salt because Jackson attempted 10 FTs last year, which is not at all an conclusive sample size. If he shoots 80%+ though this next year with a real sample size, then there is an argument he could develop a good outside shot in the future. Or, he could just develop a good outside this summer.
This Harvard study confirms it: According to their criteria DH has six NBA caliber three point shooters on his team but doesn't know how to use them to win the league tournament or get by a 10 seed:
Polley
Jackson
Gaffney
Bouknight
Cole
Adams
Or maybe it's true that you can make the results of your hypothesis fit your bias going in.

Reaction Score
Hurley is trying to preach and teach a family culture. Vast majority of kids in the portal want playing time and exposure. Not exactly a good combo.
True, and guaranteeing minutes doesn't fit with what DH seemed to want in a team oriented culture.
That said, DH openly talked about JB being the man and did all he could to showcase him. That may have been good for putting him in position to be our first lottery pick (or close to it) in years but maybe not the best for developing a team offense. With recruiting on a roll, I would expect less inclination toward "showcasing" and more toward team offense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This Harvard study confirms it: According to their criteria DH has six NBA caliber three point shooters on his team but doesn't know how to use them to win the league tournament or get by a 10 seed:
Polley
Jackson
Gaffney
Bouknight
Cole
Adams
Or maybe it's true that you can make the results of your hypothesis fit your bias going in.
True and Harvard basketball's success is real world validation of the study.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You still need to be able to shoot it somewhat I believe. Im just not sure Andre will ever be a good shooter, maybe just good enough to allow the rest of his game and athleticism to flourish but not really good. Wright recruits shooters who become even better shooters with practice and being around good shooters on the court. We need shooters without a doubt and as of now yikes!

I know this if we go into next year with Cole/Gaffney as our 1-2 it won't be pretty. We saw enough of that this year without success, only Bouk coming back gave us any glimmer of hope. I mean can they both improve enough to make this a worthy combo, I guess but I wouldn't bank on it for sure.
So he recruits shooters and they pick up defense when they get there. Well, after recruiting a lot of long athletic types I guess DH must be thinking shooters after the drought of scoring last year. He seems to have no problems getting talent so maybe just tweeking that for the next recruits/transfers. I know we have scoring deficiency on paper but if Akok can get up to 20-25 mins a game and add these freshman we are going to have a racehorse team with depth. Hoping DH opens up the game with the rebounding we have. I have a feeling that it might take time ( of course) but if they train early and often they are going to be fun to watch.
Anyway, our future looks so much brighter than a few years ago. Love to watch the kids develop.

Reaction Score
I guess the concern is consistency. We saw a few times last year when James struggled to score, how flat everyone else looked.

For sure but there were games in 2019-20 when Bouknight disappeared for 50-75% of the game. Guys will step up.

Reaction Score
For sure but there were games in 2019-20 when Bouknight disappeared for 50-75% of the game. Guys will step up.

Guys stepped up when he struggled but only because he was on the floor. He struggled because he was getting double teamed the defense was concerned about him so there was space for everyone. Who’s going to do that now without having someone the other teams worry about on the floor?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Are you at all concerned about how we are going to score points? To me, the guy leaving opened things up offensively for everyone else. Without him, I am very concerned. Thats why I felt Richmond should have been a priority.
Not really concerned about scoring, a bit concerned about not having a go to guy closer early on but I think the scoring will be covered by more people and roles will become defined. I envision next years team being far more versatile.

Reaction Score
A lot of people on here complained about CV and AG playing hero ball, as it has been called on here. But, why haven't many, if any, called Bouk out on it? He may have had a detrimental effect on the team offensively. It's hard to get engaged when one player is so ball dominant. I very well could be wrong and I'm sure that I'll hear about having a bad take, but it's just an opinion and I surely don't have any facts to back it up.

Reaction Score
Guys stepped up whenhe struggled but only because he was on the floor. He struggled because he was getting double teamed the defense was concerned about him so there was space for everyone. Who’s going to do that now without having someone the other teams worried about on the floor?

If I had to guess Gaffney will get the opportunity to be the "guy" early on. I believe he will be the starting 2-guard to start the season and he can either run with it or get jumped by Hawkins and/or Jackson.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A lot of people on here complained about CV and AG playing hero ball, as it has been called on here. But, why haven't many, if any, called Bouk out on it? He may have had a detrimental effect on the team offensively. It's hard to get engaged when one player is so ball dominant. I very well could be wrong and I'm sure that I'll hear about having a bad take, but it's just an opinion and I surely don't have any facts to back it up.
Because Bouk was on another level as a player, which I believe the other players also recognize.

Reaction Score
1) Bouk was a pro.
2) We scored more with Bouk than without. There are stats to back that up. They showed them on the halftime report of every game when he came back/every selection show when they discussed UConn

Reaction Score
1) Bouk was a pro.
2) We scored more with Bouk than without. There are stats to back that up. They showed them on the halftime report of every game when he came back/every selection show when they discussed UConn
This is all well and good, but when Bouk was double and even triple teamed, could he have found an open teammate?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whether we get Locke or not, I feel like Polley coming back would be a huge help. We need that 3 point threat - at minimum to open things up for the other guys on the floor.
He’s not coming back.

UconnU

Reaction Score
If Polley doesnt come back maybe we want him! I like the guys coming in . Honestly he is nothing special! We need a 3 period!
He is special. He has dominant in AAU he was probably the best guard on the UA circuit. He’s a phenomenal passer, can get to the rim too. He’s a similar play as Shabazz. He wasn’t used right at Florida. They used him almost exclusively as a 3 point threat because they didn’t have any other consistent 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
This is all well and good, but when Bouk was double and even triple teamed, could he have found an open teammate?
Yes, and he did. That’s why we scored more points when he played in the games lol.

UconnU

Reaction Score
The only transfers that were worthy of wasting time on were Kellan Grady and Kadary Richmond. They are both off the table. Every other amateur basketball mercenary is not worth wasting a scholarship on.

We need to be actively looking for a 5 star point guard. Dagger Trey Ty will be perimeter shooting answer. Hawk has some serious potential. I like what I see from him. He should be penciled in at the 2 as a starter.

#ReturnOfDaggerTreyTy
Locke is much better than Grady and Richmond. The advanced offensive analytics on Locke are phenomenal. They’re better than Bouknight’s. Now I think Bouk is a better player but the numbers are there.

I don’t know where all this Louisville talk is coming from I haven’t heard anything. I don’t trust that kid Jake or whatever on social media he is a major Louisville homer. We are in the mix for Locke.

Reaction Score
Locke is much better than Grady and Richmond. The advanced offensive analytics on Locke are phenomenal. They’re better than Bouknight’s. Now I think Bouk is a better player but the numbers are there.

I don’t know where all this Louisville talk is coming from I haven’t heard anything. I don’t trust that kid Jake or whatever on social media he is a major Louisville homer. We are in the mix for Locke.
Assume that we get Locke in the fold. Doesn't having him and Polley on the floor at the same time open up the lane for Sanogo or a guard to drive? Lets get 3 shooters... feelings be damned.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Assume that we get Locke in the fold. Doesn't having him and Polley on the floor at the same time open up the lane for Sanogo or a guard to drive? Lets get 3 shooters... feelings be damned.
Yea definitely. I don’t think Polley is coming back. His comment to me directly was “we’ll see man, but remember I will always Bleed Blue”.

If Locke decides to go to Louisville he would be making a major mistake. El Ellis is going to be one of the most Ball dominant guards in the ACC. He likes to dribble, can dish but prefers to try to beat the defender himself. Locke may find himself in another space creation/spot up shooter role.

Reaction Score
Yea definitely. I don’t think Polley is coming back. His comment to me directly was “we’ll see man, but remember I will always Bleed Blue”.
Is his comment the reason why you’ve been so adamant that Polley’s not coming back, or is there something else?

Reaction Score
My response was regarding having a negative effect on the offense. I was just saying we rated better offensively with versus without him. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t without flaw

UconnU

Reaction Score
Is his comment the reason why you’ve been so adamant that Polley’s not coming back, or is there something else?
I was told maybe 1 of the seniors will be back from a fairly reliable source. And Whaley is back. I just don’t forsee it man. We need a 3 point shooter who is multifaceted anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom