Florida must be sick of UConn | The Boneyard

Florida must be sick of UConn

Reaction Score
They got us in '94 when Donyell missed the 2 ft's but it's now 6 straight wins for UConn and we gave them 2 of their 3 losses in 2013-2014 when they were the #1 overall seed and Bazz and Boat made their backcourt crumble in the final 4.

We've had some great success against national programs like Florida, Kentucky, Arizona, and Duke. UNC and Kansas are the ones who come to mind that we owe.

Reaction Score
They got us in '94 when Donyell missed the 2 ft's but it's now 6 straight wins for UConn and we gave them 2 of their 3 losses in 2013-2014 when they were the #1 overall seed and Bazz and Boat made their backcourt crumble in the final 4.

We've had some great success against national programs like Florida, Kentucky, Arizona, and Duke. UNC and Kansas are the ones who come to mind that we owe.
I was hoping UConn could've played UNC at the PKI. I think UConn would've won that game.

Reaction Score
Kentucky must be really sick of UConn too!
And we woulda got em again if not for George mason in ‘06
That 06 team was such an enigma. They could have beaten Florida by double digits OR lost to them by double digits and neither result would have been particularly shocking. That GMason loss was the single most disappointing loss in program history, bar none in my opinion. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, an 5th most disappointing don't even come close (#2 to 5 being 1994 Florida, 13-seeded San Diego, 10-seed NC State beating UConn as a 2 in the round of 32 in the early 2000s, and last year).

Reaction Score
94 Florida loss was worse for me. Still remember slamming the top of a can of Natty light with my fist … Miss State probably my #2. Wrecked the front end of a skiing trip.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
And we woulda got em again if not for George mason in ‘06
A nightmare still embedded in my mind. Is that ref still officiating? Did he fond his car after the game? Still alive?

Reaction Score
94 Florida loss was worse for me. Still remember slamming the top of a can of Natty light with my fist … Miss State probably my #2. Wrecked the front end of a skiing trip.
Not even close in my mind. Win that all they had to do was beat BCU to get to the program's first F4 who they had beaten 13 straight times at that point. '06 while it sucked they had 2 championships at that point.

Reaction Score
A nightmare still embedded in my mind. Is that ref still officiating? Did he fond his car after the game? Still alive?
That BS charge called on Nelson right before the half.

Reaction Score
Kentucky must be really sick of UConn too!

That 06 team was such an enigma. They could have beaten Florida by double digits OR lost to them by double digits and neither result would have been particularly shocking. That GMason loss was the single most disappointing loss in program history, bar none in my opinion. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, an 5th most disappointing don't even come close (#2 to 5 being 1994 Florida, 13-seeded San Diego, 10-seed NC State beating UConn as a 2 in the round of 32 in the early 2000s, and last year).
I always felt that 2006 had two problems, and structural and one dispositional.

1) Because of AJ Price's injury and then laptopgate, we had an excellent PG and no competent backup. Now, Marcus Williams was near impossible to shut down, but he could be exhausted.

2) They just didn't respect teams they didn't think were on their level, and so they didn't get up for "bums." If they met UNC or Michigan State in that E8 game—or even the 2 seed Tennessee—I think they play hard, tough, and win. George Mason—or Wichita State, who was the other S16 team—just weren't teams they cared about and it took far too long for them to realize they needed to give full effort. It's like they were just trying to put the minimal amount of effort possible to win a game. Sort of the opposite of what we've seen with this team.

Reaction Score
Same. '94 should have been our first final 4 and they choked it away to Florida. When they lost to Miss. State it almost felt like they would never make a final 4.

The '06 team could look totally dominant when they wanted to during thr regular season but that team just didn't have it. They were kind of floundering by the end of the season with a loss to Cuse in the Big East Tournament, down in the second half to #16 seed Albany, playing like garbage against a weak Kentucky team, and they should've lost to Washington. As much talent as UConn had that year Florida was even more talented and deserved the championship.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

1) Because of AJ Price's injury and then laptopgate, we had an excellent PG and no competent backup. Now, Marcus Williams was near impossible to shut down, but he could be exhausted.

2) They just didn't respect teams they didn't think were on their level, and so they didn't get up for "bums." If they met UNC or Michigan State in that E8 game—or even the 2 seed Tennessee—I think they play hard, tough, and win. George Mason—or Wichita State, who was the other S16 team—just weren't teams they cared about and it took far too long for them to realize they needed to give full effort. It's like they were just trying to put the minimal amount of effort possible to win a game. Sort of the opposite of what we've seen with this team.
If it's any consolation think of how much that must have killed JC. All that talent and all his work and being powerless to stop that attitude. It is what it is. We learn from our own mistakes and sometimes from those of others. I'd rather dwell on the 2011 runout of the Big East Tournament (5 games in 5 days) and running the table immediately after in the NCAA Tournament.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Boone kept missing layups. End of analysis.

Reaction Score
Florida pulled out all the stops for this game, including bringing back 1994 throw back uniforms. Guess they didn't realize it wasn't the same team. See quote and a link to the full article below. Coach seemed a little defensive.

"Florida wore replica uniforms from 1994, the season in which the Gators upset UConn in overtime in the Sweet 16 and ended up making the Final Four for the first time in school history. The throwbacks did little to get coach Golden a signature victory in his first season in Gainesville. "
“They’ve done this to other teams as well," Golden said.

Read more at: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/article269753626.html#storylink=cpy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom