Fixing the WNBA's marketing Issue-here is what I would do | The Boneyard

Fixing the WNBA's marketing Issue-here is what I would do

Reaction Score
The problem isn’t the demographics or the money the NB/a puts into marketing the game compared to the men. the issues are nobody knows how to find the games consistently, the WNBA consistently cuts its yearly crop of new stars, and the product is to be restricted in terms of where its located [large cities which is an access problem.

How to fix it ?

1. fix the access to the sport and display it at the same time every time it appears on TV. To do that, I would yank the rights away from ION and the ESPN and just give the broadcasting rights to the top 50 television markets in the US, all of Europe, Africa, and Asia & ensure that every state has a platform where the game can be seen. . YES!! give it to the local TV stations for free for about 10yrs. (owners will have to eat the cost as a loss lead for 10yrs) The stipulation is that they must show the game of the team market pod at let’s say 12Pm Every Saturday or 1PM every Sunday.

This will allow the league to increase viewership through essentially a barter agreement. At the end of the 10yrs, this developed fan base may migrate over to a paid subscription platform at a very modest rate. $1.99 a season. Let’s say you get loyal following of at least 10 Million People Worldwide [4 Million US]. . After year 20 with incremental increases, I can see this package going to $9.99 by year 15.

Now go back to the 4Letter network: ESPN could only advertise a national showcase game a a specific time of the week. Let’s say every Tuesday at 7PM at this higher rate because we now have the viewership in the US.

Future Star problem?
No league waives their farm system stars as the rate as the WNBA. Its like they take pride in being the most exclusive league in the world but that is the worst position to take for a sports league . Yes!! during this time frame lets expand to 28 teams & look for ownership groups outside the NBA. Expansion is the obvious step . Now this might be controversial, but re-tread WNBA coaches keep the same players past their prime each stop they make on the coaching carousel. The coal is to get younger through the draft and not get older by Free Agency.

Smaller Cities
How about locate a few teams to smaller cities and set up a model like the Green Bay packers and let the fans own the team in that municipality. San Antonio is not a top 50 market, but they could support a fan owned WNBA team.

Reaction Score
The problem is that there simply isn't enough scoring. The NBA made this mistake a while back. Low scoring games filled with physicality. They "reinterpreted" a few rules and scoring went up. And the NBA rose in popularity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom