First Night visitors? | The Boneyard

First Night visitors?

Reaction Score
First night is rapidly approaching and i know most of our 2020 verbal recruits will be in attendance but do we know if any of our potential recruits will be there from 2020 ot 2021?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First night is rapidly approaching and i know most of our 2020 verbal recruits will be in attendance but do we know if any of our potential recruits will be there from 2020 ot 2021?
Mir McLean, Piath Gabriel and Paige Bueckers are confirmed visitors for first night all from class of 2020.
From the class of 2020 Nika is unconfirmed so far. Keep in mind that visits for the class of 2021 would have to be "unofficial" visits-on their own dime.

Reaction Score
Speaking of First Night, my wife and I will be in CT from CA the weekend of First Night and would like to attend and see Storrs, Gampel and the teams for ourselves.
Can anyone give me some tips on when to arrive and where to park? Is there visitor dining nearby or pretty much Gampel concessions?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Speaking of First Night, my wife and I will be in CT from CA the weekend of First Night and would like to attend and see Storrs, Gampel and the teams for ourselves.
Can anyone give me some tips on when to arrive and where to park? Is there visitor dining nearby or pretty much Gampel concessions?

You have some options...

If I were in your shoes, I’d park in the south garage in enough time to either walk or take the bus (the red line) to Storrs Center. South garage is right next to Gampel and the campus bookstore. You’ll have to park there a few hours before game time or else they’ll redirect you to game parking (I had a south garage pass as a student, so someone else may have more specifics on the actual timeline). The walk is about 3/4 mile and will take you through most of central and south campus. There are a lot of dining options (including Geno’s Grill) in Storrs Center.

You could eat in Storrs Center (there is free two hour parking in the garage there) and then drive to designated event parking. From there they will have busses to Gampel.

You could park in north or south garage if you’re there on time and eat in the student union. Food is decent.

Regardless of your other choices, if you’ve never been to the Dairy Bar that would be a must in my book!

(If anyone was on campus last season and finds that this is outdated, please feel free to correct me!)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I posted this in the October recruiting thread and am modifying it based on Coco's post and an additional thought.

First Night, my assessments and what I recall:

Paige Bueckers--committed to come, I believe. She'll be recruiting.

Piath Gabriel--committed to come, I believe

Nika Muhl--possible, depending on travel

Mir McLean--committed to come, I believe

Saylor Poffenbarger--probable

All 5 players above have verbaled.

Some players who have not yet verbaled:

Azzi Fudd--probable, in my opinion

Amari DeBerry--probable, in my opinion

Kamila Cardoso--my fingers are crossed big time!

There may be other 2021 recruits and possibly some 2022 or 2023 recruits. In short, look for a BIG group.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the October recruiting thread and am modifying it based on Coco's post and an additional thought.

There may be other 2021 recruits and possibly some 2022 or 2023 recruits. In short, look for a BIG group.

A nice oxymoron if I have ever heard one (expand post). If only you really meant look for the "BIG" group. :D

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A nice oxymoron if I have ever heard one (expand post). If only you really meant look for the "BIG" group. :D
I guess that was an accidental slip. I expect a group of 4-10. I think we get most of the 2020 kids, some from 2021, and, as often happens, some younger ones--unless Geno and CD think the group would be too numerous if they offered to 2022 and 2023. I'm excited about the possibilities.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

JordyG once admitted to being greedy. In reference to some "highly" coveted UConn recruits, he said "I want them all". I feel the same way, I want them all too. Azzi Fudd, Amari DeBerry and Kamilla Cardosa. I doubt UConn will get both DeBerry and Cardosa. Cardosa is from Tennessee. Some posters in the yard say there's a good chance she won't go to the "hometown" Tennessee Vols. They have a 6'5" freshman post player Tamari Key coming in this year. No doubt they would like to have Cardosa as well. So I think we have a puncher's chance here.

I'd be happy with either one. Some posters that follow recruiting much closer than I do say that Cardosa is more skilled right now than DeBerry. I just know that BOTH of them are very high on UConn wish list. I know greed is one of the 7 deadly sins, but in THIS case, I can't help it. Gimme both of ‘em.

First night is always a wonderful and exciting experience for prospective recruits. A chance to visit the campus, interact (hang out) with all the players and other potential recruits and visit with the coaching staff. It's also a wonderful opportunity to give Geno and UConn a VERBAL commitment, even if it's a silent one. :cool:

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
JordyG once admitted to being greedy. In reference to some "highly" coveted UConn recruits, he said "I want them all". I feel the same way, I want them all too. Azzi Fudd, Amari DeBerry and Kamilla Cardosa. I doubt UConn will get both DeBerry and Cardosa. Cardosa is from Tennessee. Some posters in the yard say there's a good chance she won't go to the "hometown" Tennessee Vols whose campus is only 119 miles away from her high school (they desperately want her), so I think we have a puncher's chance here.

I'd be happy with either one. Some posters that follow recruiting much closer than I do say that Cardosa is more skilled right now than DeBerry. I just know that BOTH of them are very high on UConn wish list. I know greed is one of the 7 deadly sins, but in THIS case, I can't help it.

First night is always a wonderful and exciting experience for prospective recruits. A chance to visit the campus, interact (hang out) with all the players and visit with the coaching staff. It's also a wonderful opportunity to give Geno and UConn a VERBAL commitment, even if it's a silent one. :cool:
Speaking of oxymorons( see above}, the infamous silent verbal rears its incongruous head again. :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Speaking of oxymorons( see above}, the infamous silent verbal rears its incongruous head again. :eek:

Post edit -

Upon further review and reflection, and with the aid of all the English majors here bent on making their point,
I can see that a "silent verbal" could be perceived as an oxymoron. There!, is everyone happy now? Please, let's move on.

As I was saying..................Geno would be beyond ELATED to received a "silent" from all 3 of these recruits on first night.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
A silent verbal is not an oxymoron.
Well, it kind of is. Bama fan's (lighthearted) punctilious approach is not without merit. Perhaps we need a new term for a commitment that is verbal as to one (the coach) and silent as to others (the media, hence us).

Private verbal? Undisclosed verbal?

Of course, for the punctilious the use of the word "verbal" as a noun in this context is problematic.

How about super-secret oral commitment?

No, wait, it isn't really a commitment.

How about privately expressed statement of transitory objective?

"She is rumored to have made a PESTO to UConn."

Yeah, another trend started by the Boneyard. Watch it catch on.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
A silent verbal is not an oxymoron. Players given them all the time. They let the head coach know they want to come, but prefer to announce it to the world at a later date, like a high school rally, etc. If it's their choice to give a verbal in that fashion, who are we/you to criticize it? When they are given, we never hear about it.
I am not suggesting that players do not or should not make a commitment that is not publicly acknowledged. It happens quite frequently . But to call it a "silent verbal" is an incongruous construction. My comment was made in jest. There was no criticism of any player or their right to choose how they interact with the public. As your namesake might appreciate , perhaps they could put their decision in an hermetically sealed envelope with a "Do not open before ... " message on the front. A " verbal " commitment implies one that is spoken privately rather than written or announced and openly public. It follows that something spoken is hardly silent. Besides, it is just a joke my friend. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Well, it kind of is. Bama fan's (lighthearted) punctilious approach is not without merit. Perhaps we need a new term for a commitment that is verbal as to one (the coach) and silent as to others (the media, hence us).

Private verbal? Undisclosed verbal?

Of course, for the punctilious the use of the word "verbal" as a noun in this context is problematic.

How about super-secret oral commitment?

No, wait, it isn't really a commitment.

How about privately expressed statement of transitory objective?

"She is rumored to have made a PESTO to UConn."

Yeah, another trend started by the Boneyard. Watch it catch on.
Wow. I have never been called punctilious before this. I have been called many other things though. I feel special! I suggest we call this type of transaction between a potential player and a coach a "kinda sorta gonna maybe". We could even have a super secret BoneYard kinda sorta acronym. It could be a KSGM. And then we could have a thread titled KSGM pinned to the top of the board. I am game for a PESTO thread too, and I leave it up to you @JS

Reaction Score
1. silent verbal (best choice)
2. reticent verbal
3. tongue-tied verbal
4. word-of-mouth commitment
5. unspoken verbal (I also considered unwritten verbal/commitment)
6. implicit verbal

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We disagree. For my purposes IT'S NOT. If it is in YOUR world, fine. What difference does it make? I'll continue to use that term when its convenient and fits the situation, oxymoron or not. We were done with that debate and moved on.
I think @CL82 has also moved on- to having jumbo shrimp for dinner while listening to a quiet storm and having bittersweet chocolate for dessert after watching the Walking Dead which was the only choice.
Still don't get it?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think @CL82 has also moved on- to having jumbo shrimp for dinner while listening to a quiet storm and having bittersweet chocolate for dessert after watching the Walking Dead which was the only choice.
Still don't get it?
You can't see it or hear it, but I just nodded.

Reaction Score
We disagree. For my purposes IT'S NOT. If it is in YOUR world, fine. What difference does it make? I'll continue to use that term when its convenient and fits the situation, oxymoron or not. We were done with that debate and moved on.

Do you know what an oxymoron is?

Reaction Score
Yes. why do you ask? Is it that important to you that someone proves me wrong?

I thought that perhaps you'd start acting less weird if someone explained to you that accurately calling "silent verbal" an oxymoron isn't a criticism of athletes who choose to announce publicly after they've told a coach, but I guess I was wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom