First night question | The Boneyard

First night question

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
October 15.

Do we know....with some degree of certainty [talk about an oxymoron]...who will be there?

Our 2 verballed 2022ers? Any other 2022ers...or younger?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The school has announced that 1st Night will be open to UConn “students only” out of an abundance of caution. That clearly means no outside fans. I don’t know if it also means no recruits?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My fingers are crossed that Kiki Rice will be there.

She's friends with Ayanna, Saylor, and Azzi.
There's a podcast on the recruiting board that says Stanford leads and Duke is a close 2nd. They feel academics will trump everything else, and given Stanford just won a NC, she can compete for one of those as well at Stanford...

Obviously I hope for something different, but I'm not sure UCONN will be able to trump Stanford at this time. Might be a different story if they didn't have as many elite players... We will see...

By the way, the podcast may have been just a pair of random dudes who know no more than some folks here on the BY, and are just speculating.

Reaction Score
There's a podcast on the recruiting board that says Stanford leads and Duke is a close 2nd. They feel academics will trump everything else, and given Stanford just won a NC, she can compete for one of those as well at Stanford...

Obviously I hope for something different, but I'm not sure UCONN will be able to trump Stanford at this time. Might be a different story if they didn't have as many elite players... We will see...

By the way, the podcast may have been just a pair of random dudes who know no more than some folks here on the BY, and are just speculating.
it's accurate, I said that Stanford would be if I had to guess but the Duke connection makes sense cause Barker was with her in the team that just won Gold so that duo would be really amazing together. She not coming to Uconn I would even put Yale ahead of her decision due to academics.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The school has announced that 1st Night will be open to UConn “students only” out of an abundance of caution. That clearly means no outside fans. I don’t know if it also means no recruits?
OD, I seriously doubt that first night would not be available to prospective recruits. In past years, it has been the biggest, most the impressive recruiting tool UConn has. Potential recruits will ALWAYS be invited to, and welcomed at first night.

That’s the one time when the coaches for both teams can put out the red carpet and put on the ritz and show potential recruits what kind of wild and crazy ( but extremely loyal) students they would be playing in front of.

Other programs have their version of first night also. It’s a constant game of one-upsmanship. Who can put on the best show, and leave the most memorable impression on invited recruits.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it's accurate, I said that Stanford would be if I had to guess but the Duke connection makes sense cause Barker was with her in the team that just won Gold so that duo would be really amazing together. She not coming to Uconn I would even put Yale ahead of her decision due to academics.
Is Barker headed to Duke? Ayana Patterson was also on that team with Kiki and she is already committed to UCONN. Mikaylah Williams was the Tournament MVP and may also be UCONN bound.
I think the Duke connection via Barker is a thin stretch at best. Barker is just not that type of foundation player that going to put a team in championship contention especially compared to the talent Kiki could team up with at Stanford (Betts, Jones, Brink) or UCONN (Paige, Azzi, Ice, Patterson)

Reaction Score
UConn has won a few (Lobo Bird KLS) but lost far more recruiting battles to Stanford -- the other Samuelsons, both Ogwumikes, Haley Jones, Jayne Appel, Erica McCall to name a few.

Reaction Score
UConn has won a few (Lobo Bird KLS) but lost far more recruiting battles to Stanford -- the other Samuelsons, both Ogwumikes, Haley Jones, Jayne Appel, Erica McCall to name a few.
I notice that geography apparently made a difference in several of those decisions. They captured more west coast talents and visa versa with us. Well Kiki is on the eastern side. I have been a little puzzled by the Duke vs. Stanford debate. I can see Duke being competitive academically, but basketball wise I think the gap is big. Duke may become a contender, but Kiki said she wanted to be competing for a championship every year. Duke isn't on that level yet, so they must have another competitive advantage and I think location might be it.

Not every school on her list of 11 is an academic powerhouse, not every school is a annual championship contender, not every school has an easy path to playing time, and not every school is close geographically. I would argue there is also no school that passes all of those tests, so she will have to balance those and decide what is most important to her, but the belief that Duke is right there with Stanford and Uconn suggests to me that distance from home is at least part of the consideration.

Reaction Score
Actually, we have discussed it (the podcast idea).

But while our discussions are highly involved covering all aspects of players and teams, it is also somewhat inappropriate and occasionally in poor taste. :D
And that separates it from other podcasts how?
Of course if any of you hope to host Jeopardy someday ….

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I notice that geography apparently made a difference in several of those decisions. They captured more west coast talents and visa versa with us. Well Kiki is on the eastern side. I have been a little puzzled by the Duke vs. Stanford debate. I can see Duke being competitive academically, but basketball wise I think the gap is big. Duke may become a contender, but Kiki said she wanted to be competing for a championship every year. Duke isn't on that level yet, so they must have another competitive advantage and I think location might be it.

Not every school on her list of 11 is an academic powerhouse, not every school is a annual championship contender, not every school has an easy path to playing time, and not every school is close geographically. I would argue there is also no school that passes all of those tests, so she will have to balance those and decide what is most important to her, but the belief that Duke is right there with Stanford and Uconn suggests to me that distance from home is at least part of the consideration.
Unless Rice goes to MD, none of the schools recruiting her are right around the corner. It’s about a 4hr drive from DC to Durham, NC vs 6hrs to Hartford/Storrs. Georgetown, Seton Hall, Nova & St John’s are all relatively easy drives from DC, particularly in comparison to many of the away schools in the ACC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd trade watching a practice instead of First Night in a heartbeat.
You’d have lots of company! :) First night does nothing for me, but it’s not supposed to. It’s not aimed or geared towards me. I’d like to see the team div into two evenly matched squads, and play one 20 minute (running time) period. To me, that would be far more interesting than anything else they do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You’d have lots of company! :) First night does nothing for me, but it’s not supposed to. It’s not aimed or geared towards me. I’d like to see the team div into two evenly matched squads, and play one 20 minute (running time) period. To me, that would be far more interesting than anything else they do.
Sounds great, but this early in the season, they should try to avoid injuries. I think they do enough of that in practice.

Reaction Score

That’s what pretty much all the podcasts are. ;)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I bought a pair of Sliders like Paige and my wife said I look ridiculous if I wear socks with them. At my age, comfort comes before style. My comeback is if its ok with Paige, its ok with me. After this photo, I'm sure I won't be the only one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I bought a pair of Sliders like Paige and my wife said I look ridiculous if I wear socks with them. At my age, comfort comes before style. My comeback is if its ok with Paige, its ok with me. After this photo, I'm sure I won't be the only one.
will forte lol GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom