First night is two days away! | The Boneyard

First night is two days away!

Reaction Score
Is anyone else excited? Anxious? All of the above? I am very curious to see this event especially during the pandemic stage and how well it will turn out. If there are possible recruits who will attend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No recruits have been reported and we probably won't have any confirmed until Friday night, but signs on social media suggest Ayanna Patterson and Kiki Rice might be there.

UConn had five potential targets from the same AAU squad in on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me the time and network it will be on? I have Optimum/Altic.

Reaction Score
I was told it would stream on youtube as well

Great. I don't get excited about the loud music they play and the flashing lights and dancing. I enjoy just getting to see them live for the first time. I'm looking forward to the 3pt competition. The students should be pumped since they haven't seen the teams at all for a year and a half.

Reaction Score
ALCS starts on Friday night, so will probably watch that instead. To be honest there's not much to see.

Reaction Score
I am all of the above! Looking forward to seeing the players, coaching staff, the managers, and the fans out there!!

Reaction Score
First Night will be broadcast live on CW20, a Fox 61 affiliate, and live streamed on UConn Huskies Facebook page. For those students attending the event in person, admission is free with doors opening at 6 p.m.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
ALCS starts on Friday night, so will probably watch that instead. To be honest there's not much to see.
I think they have a 3-pt contest. It would be interesting to see a rematch between Caroline and Azzi, not to mention both of them shutting down the male contestants.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No recruits have been reported and we probably won't have any confirmed until Friday night, but signs on social media suggest Ayanna Patterson and Kiki Rice might be there.

UConn had five potential targets from the same AAU squad in on Sunday.
If KiKi doesn't show up then we are not in the race for her services. This is our best shot to impress her, so if she doesn't take it, concentrate on 2023.

Reaction Score
If KiKi doesn't show up then we are not in the race for her services. This is our best shot to impress her, so if she doesn't take it, concentrate on 2023.
If you want to impress a recruit you bring her in to Gampel for a nationally televised game against a top 5 or 10 opponent. First night at UConn is more or less the same as it is at other schools and not that impressive from a basketball perspective. The things that make UConn women's basketball unique and attractive to top recruits aren't really showcased during that kind of event that's meant more to entertain the students that already live there.

Reaction Score
If you want to impress a recruit you bring her in to Gampel for a nationally televised game against a top 5 or 10 opponent. First night at UConn is more or less the same as it is at other schools and not that impressive from a basketball perspective. The things that make UConn women's basketball unique and attractive to top recruits aren't really showcased during that kind of event that's meant more to entertain the students that already live there.
A key here is also did Uconn want to make first night part of her official visit. They may have, and if so a no show would be a very bad sign. There may be other attractive options to impress a recruit, but I feel pretty confident in feeling our chances of getting any recruit are significantly higher if they attend.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

True but not for an official visit. The top 10 matchups are after the early signing period. Big games at Gampel are great for unofficial visits.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you from a game perspective but first night also often brings a collection of prospects together and they get to meet each other and get a feel for what it could be like as a class. That's alao important for kids.

Reaction Score
I disagree, if I had to pick the best 2 it's Uconn and Midnight Madness for UK. They just feel big and show how much the fanbases care about cbb. Experiencing in person is definitely a game changer for recruits.

Reaction Score
There's so much I don't agree with this post. First of all, potential recruits are impressed with the UConn brand well before First Night ever takes place and I'm pretty confident potential recruits have seen one or more nationally televised games UConn has played from previous years.

First Night is/was never about playing impressive basketball to begin with, it's the official event declaring basketball season is finally upon us and for introducing the team to the grand stage called Gampel...it's more of a celebration than "playing real basketball". Frankly I doubt First Night is more or less same as it is at other schools, maybe those other schools you speak of I can hold in one hand.

Over the past 25 years lot's of potential recruits have always made their trek to Gampel to experience this event. Some have verballed well before this event, some decided to give their "verbal" after this event and before leaving the campus, some verballed later and some decided to go elsewhere, not bad for an event that was "meant more to entertain the students that already live there".

Reaction Score
It seems like the Arizona game was a light years ago but I hope it still seems like yesterday to our players. How exciting for them and for all of us. We definitely need this to start. Nothing feels as normal as our women kicking somebody else's ass.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It's on the local CW20 but will be streamed online at UConn's Facebook page, and that link surely will be posted here.

First Night is not listed in CW20's schedule on my service (Xfinity). Maybe an error.

Reaction Score
Help for the techno challenged Husky fan. Can I go to Utube and will the festivities be on that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom