First night is two days away! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

First night is two days away!

Reaction Score
This is a joke ... and still in Twitter about 1 h ago.

1634344670735.png

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
All around. I hope Kiki doesn't see this as amateur night.
I was just thinking the same thing. You know those little memory zappers from Men in Black? I bet Geno would appreciate one so Kiki can forget everything after the intros. I know I would… :oops:

forget will smith GIF

Reaction Score
my goodness they seriously couldn't get a rim to work? This was such a horrible display, it might have been better not to have any incoming recruits at the event.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All around. I hope Kiki doesn't see this as amateur night.
Bingo JordyG, You nailed it!!! Instead of first night, it turned out to be "Amateur Night"!! And one we'll remember for a long time. All that hype, and it fizzled out like a 2 cent fire cracker. :mad: I hope Kiki can give UConn a mulligan on this farce and won't hold this against the team. They had nothing to do with this fiasco. Like they say on SportsCenter broadcasts...................."You had one job to do" This production was a failure from start to finish, as most of us were left standing at the altar. :(

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
my goodness they seriously couldn't get a rim to work? This was such a horrible display, it might have been better not to have any incoming recruits at the event.
Rims break. Most arenas ALWAYS keep a spare basket tucked away somewhere in case one becomes unserviceable. What if this had happened during a game? Do they reschedule it, or does UConn forfeit? :eek:

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like we missed much to be honest. Player intros and a 10 minute women's scrimmage - is that what all the hype is about? If they are going to use this event as a serious marketing tool for recruits it needs to get a lot better. Maybe we cut them a break this year because of Covid?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know, I meant televised so that we can ALL see it. provide a link so that the rest of the country can access it. They could through in some commercials to make it work.
Correction...They could THROW IN some commercials to make it more profitable. I could live with that. If the technology exists to send back LIVE pictures from the moon, they can provide a link so that folks across the country can watch their feed.

Per Google: the moon is 238,900 miles from earth. Per Google maps, Storrs is only 3,043 miles from California. Sounds very "do-able" to me. :D

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The team’s 10-minute scrimmage was played in relaxed pace with no contact with the White team (Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Saylor Poffenbarger, Mir McLean, Evina Westbrook and Azzi Fudd) boasting a 26-9 victory over the Blue team (Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Dorka Juhasz, Caroline Ducharme, Amari DeBerry and Aaliyah Edwards).

A big part of the welcome surprise has come from freshmen Fudd and Ducharme, whom Auriemma said play like they’ve already been with the team for some time.

“Right now, if we had a game tomorrow, Azzi and Caroline they look like they just blend right in,” Auriemma said. “Azzi and Caroline, they look like they’ve been here and there are some things they do that look like they’ve been part of the team for a while. I’m really thrilled where they are.”

Reaction Score
The team’s 10-minute scrimmage was played in relaxed pace with no contact with the White team (Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Saylor Poffenbarger, Mir McLean, Evina Westbrook and Azzi Fudd) boasting a 26-9 victory over the Blue team (Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Dorka Juhasz, Caroline Ducharme, Amari DeBerry and Aaliyah Edwards).

A big part of the welcome surprise has come from freshmen Fudd and Ducharme, whom Auriemma said play like they’ve already been with the team for some time.

“Right now, if we had a game tomorrow, Azzi and Caroline they look like they just blend right in,” Auriemma said. “Azzi and Caroline, they look like they’ve been here and there are some things they do that look like they’ve been part of the team for a while. I’m really thrilled where they are.”

Pretty bummed to hear about the rims for recruiting purposes mainly but also disappointed for the team. But so happy to hear Caroline and Azzi blend right in. We clearly were missing something last year so with the additions of those two plus Dorka I hope that takes us to the next level.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Which is why we can’t assume who the starters will be for the Arkansas game. Does Geno put his BEST 5 (which may include a freshman or two) on the floor for that game or doesn’t he? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Which is why we can’t assume who the starters will be for the Arkansas game. Does Geno put his BEST 5 (which may include a freshman or two) on the floor for that game or doesn’t he? :rolleyes:

I think this guy might have some insight as to who starts:

Allow me to play the devil's advocate here............which would shock you more......any senior NOT starting, or Geno NOT starting his BEST 5 players, which may not include all of his seniors?

It's ALWAYS been my understanding that a coach, any coach has the duty and responsibility to the school and the team to start his 5 best players regardless of their academic classification. You ALWAYS start the 5 best players that give you the best chance to win. It's that way in ANY sport. I'll take what comes. In Geno I trust!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here's a little bit more.

The men's side sure had a snappy come back. Hope the year goes better.

Reaction Score
I think this guy might have some insight as to who starts:
With positive comments about Azzi and Caroline the only thing that is near certain is that Paige starts. Every other position is at least somewhat in doubt.

SG- Azzi has a high probability of being better than Christyn ultimately, but may be better right now.

SF- Similarly Caroline might in time be better than Evina, and it is at least possible that could be this year.

PF- Aaliyah probably doesn't face a real serious threat from Aubrey or Mir (who play more like 4's), but she does if Uconn went very big with twin towers, starting Dorka with Liv, or if they go with small ball with Evina or Caroline there.

C- Liv could be beaten out by Dorka.

In addition it doesn't have to be the 5 best players in the starting lineup. Chemistry and compatibility with the other players on the floor matters for both the first and second unit. It is not always who is the best at a position, but who compliments the other four players the best. The number of permutations and combinations of lineups we can come up with for starters and the bench is staggering. The only thing that is consistent across these debates is everybody has Paige starting, while I think as many as 9 have been mentioned as possible starters.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The basket couldn't be fixed, so 4x4 half court. First bucket--3 from Azzi Fudd!
I know this is not the NBA, but I believe the NBA mandates that ALL NBA arenas have an extra basket unit (as pictured below) in reserve so that this sort of thing does not happen during a game. In essence, all arenas have 3 of these units.........just in case. They are on wheels so that they are easily moved. They are lowered off the wheels once in place and stabilized so that they don't move when jarred, bumped or dunked on.

1634410966072.png

Pro H Hydraulic Portable Basketball Backstop, 10' 8" Boom

What happens if THIS happens during an acutal BE conference game, or worse, an OOC game with an elite top 5 team? I doubt seriously if the other team will be willing to make a return trip to play the game. Does UConn forfeit? Do they call it a wash an nobody wins? :eek:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
@JordyG, you still dancing after last night's fiasco? :(
Only if it's reported that those in charge of last night's program will NEVER have anything to do with future productions. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom