First night interviews | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First night interviews

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does it seem like Geno is not mentioning Christyn's name on purpose so it's kind of like "surprise," she is the best player on the team. I haven't heard her mentioned hardly at all and to me, she is clearly our best player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evina, if eligible.

Then Anna is a close second.

Aubrey not far behind. She may have the most potential of anyone not named Squeaks.

If eligible I agree that Evina should be #5. I limited my choices to those players that we know will be available. I’ve taken the position since she transferred in that she would have to sit out this season. Knowing how fickle and unreliable the NCAA is, I didn’t want to be disappointed, or have to reevaluate some of my predictions if her waiver was not granted.

If her waiver is granted, that changes everything. It makes the bench a lot deeper, and UConn a much tougher nut for opponents to crack. I expect a decision will be announced in the next 12-14 days.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Query: now that we have been formally introduced to the four new members of the team, which one do you think will have the most impact for UConn this season? Ania gets my vote. I think it’s very possible she’s the 5th starter.
Impossible to say. Ania isn't a bad call, but I'll go with Westbrook, if she gets a waiver. (Not a ground shaking prediction, I know.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yea, when they asked her who was gonna be the next big star at UCONN (to replace Collier/Samuelson), you could tell she was thinking and wanted to say..."besides me?, hmmm let me think."
I thought exactly the same thing.

Carnac

Reaction Score
ONO also has a huge upside.

In watching her recent interview yesterday, I noticed how much more mature, self aware and confident she is now than she was last year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Evina, if eligible.

Then Anna is a close second.

Aubrey not far behind. She may have the most potential of anyone not named Squeaks.

If Aubrey can come in as a freshman and jump those two on the depth chart (which I’m not expecting to see), that would speak volumes about how Geno perceives her and her potential. Keeping in mind that Ania and Westbrook have experience (post high school) at this level that she does not. Aubrey was an exceptional HS player, but there are things she'll have to adjust to at THIS level before she can be effective. That's not going to happen overnight. I expect it to take her entire freshman year.

Believe me, I’m drinking Aubrey’s kool-aid. I think before she's done, she’ll prove to be one of the best players to come through this program.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Impossible to say. Ania isn't a bad call, but I'll go with Westbrook, if she gets a waiver. (Not a ground shaking prediction, I know.)

The good thing here is he has options. Something he didn’t have this time last year. I really like our team and our chances this year.

There’s only 3-4 other programs (Baylor, Oregon, Stanford, South Carolina and maybe Maryland, Oregon St, or Louisville) that will seriously challenge us for the championship. Even though they are rebuilding this year, I’m not totally comfortable in dismissing Notre Dame just yet. Time will tell how competitive they’re going to be this season. It would not surprise me if Muffet were able to pull a rabbit or two out of her hat come March. We know they'll be in the tournament. Anything can happen after that.

That’s 5 months from now. Our team will be ready for those challenges. They’ve already taken those first steps toward the championship on the first day of practice.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Aubrey can come in as a freshman and jump those two on the depth chart (which I’m not expecting to see), that would speak volumes about how Geno perceives her and her potential. Keeping in mind that Ania and Westbrook have experience (post high school) at this level that she does not.

Believe me, I’m drinking Aubrey’s koolaide. I think she’ll prove to be one of the best players to come through this program.
Before we got Anna and Evina, I thought Aubrey, while raw, was the most likely 5th starter. It may take her 2-3 years to fully blossom, but she can be really good. How good? I think Diamond DeShields good.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Before we got Anna and Evina, I thought Aubrey, while raw, was the most likely 5th starter. It may take her 2-3 years to fully blossom, but she can be really good. How good? I think Diamond DeShields good.

Me too. Based on the reports and accolades of Geno and others ( I have not seen her yet, only in a brief video clip), I think she can reach WNBA DeShields good in time.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So...the program for First Night and the introductions had it listed as ANNA. So going forward all of us should follow that protocol and given her unbelievable strong command of the English language, I will be reverting to ANNA from my initial typing of Ania!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have some quibbles here:
1. Saying the most likely starter and then saying 2-3 years to blossom are incongruent. There’s no way Geno would start someone raw. He had just never done that.
2. Diamond Deshield???? Head bang That’s the name you want to throw out? She didn’t blossom until AFTER she left college and the dumpster fires that were NC Cheat and Tennessee. She was immature and selfish far to much in college!
Come on Milford, you’re better than this!:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So...the program for First Night and the introductions had it listed as ANNA. So going forward all of us should follow that protocol and given her unbelievable strong command of the English language, I will be reverting to ANNA from my initial typing of Ania!
I'm gonna keep calling her Makurat.

Reaction Score
Evina:

This was my first experience in MEETING Ms. Westbrook and I was very, very impressed. She's very well spoken and seems to be very team focused. I'm surely hoping that she'll be available to play this year because this team could surely use someone with her capabilities. A great addition to the Huskies! I also loved hearing from Anna through the video clips in this post and I think this team is going to have the capability to be really good, especially in the latter part of the season.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey can come in as a freshman and jump those two on the depth chart (which I’m not expecting to see), that would speak volumes about how Geno perceives her and her potential. Keeping in mind that Ania and Westbrook have experience (post high school) at this level that she does not. Aubrey was an exceptional HS player, but there are things she'll have to adjust to at THIS level before she can be effective. That's not going to happen overnight. I expect it to take her entire freshman year.

Believe me, I’m drinking Aubrey’s kool-aid. I think before she's done, she’ll prove to be one of the best players to come through this program.
I think Aubrey will follow a Gabby pattern where I think it will take a year or so for her to really learn how to apply all that athleticism into the game of basketball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Saying the most likely starter and then saying 2-3 years to blossom are incongruent. There’s no way Geno would start someone raw. He had just never done that.
2. Diamond Deshield???? Head bang That’s the name you want to throw out? She didn’t blossom until AFTER she left college and the dumpster fires that were NC Cheat and Tennessee. She was immature and selfish far to much in college!
I thought about giving your post a dislike, my friend, but instead, I'll explain myself. I don't think we are very far apart. ;)

All freshmen are raw to various degrees. Even those who hid it--see Maya and Diana--had not played for Geno before and had not played at the NCAA level. Before Anna, Evina, and Evelyn committed to UConn, the options for the 5th starter were Aubrey, Batouly, Kyla, or Molly. I thought Aubrey was superior to them based on athleticism and ability. Geno will start freshmen when they are his best option: See Christyn, Olivia when Lou was out, Kia, Lou/Phee, Bria, Stef, et al. When I say 2-3 years to blossom, I'm talking about a player who is a little unsure of herself now but who could be as good as anyone by her junior season. She needs to develop confidence, exert maximum effort, be consistent, and figure how to use her talents.

I use Diamond as an example, because Aubrey's athleticism is similar to that of Diamond. Obviously, Diamond had a higher profile, but both she and Aubrey have athletic genes. Watch Aubrey run, and watch Diamond's stride. Very similar. Diamond may be stronger, but both are long, lean, and fast. Diamond was good but erratic in college. I believe that she was 2nd team All-WNBA this year. Aubrey is not immature or selfish; she is a little shy and lacking in confidence. Their personalities are different, but athleticism is similar.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If eligible I agree that Evina should be #5. I limited my choices to those players that we know will be available. I’ve taken the position since she transferred in that she would have to sit out this season. Knowing how fickle and unreliable the NCAA is, I didn’t want to be disappointed, or have to reevaluate some of my predictions if her waiver was not granted.

If her waiver is granted, that changes everything. It makes the bench a lot deeper, and UConn a much tougher nut for opponents to crack. I expect a decision will be announced in the next 12-14 days.
I would like a decision within the next fortnight, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NoaCountAA dragged their feet.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I thought about giving your post a dislike, my friend, but instead, I'll explain myself. I don't think we are very far apart. ;)

All freshmen are raw to various degrees. Even those who hid it--see Maya and Diana--had not played for Geno before and had not played at the NCAA level. Before Anna, Evina, and Evelyn committed to UConn, the options for the 5th starter were Aubrey, Batouly, Kyla, or Molly. I thought Aubrey was superior to them based on athleticism and ability. Geno will start freshmen when they are his best option: See Christyn, Olivia when Lou was out, Kia, Lou/Phee, Bria, Stef, et al. When I say 2-3 years to blossom, I'm talking about a player who is a little unsure of herself now but who could be as good as anyone by her junior season. She needs to develop confidence, exert maximum effort, be consistent, and figure how to use her talents.

I use Diamond as an example, because Aubrey's athleticism is similar to that of Diamond. Obviously, Diamond had a higher profile, but both she and Aubrey have athletic genes. Watch Aubrey run, and watch Diamond's stride. Very similar. Diamond may be stronger, but both are long, lean, and fast. Diamond was good but erratic in college. I believe that she was 2nd team All-WNBA this year. Aubrey is not immature or selfish; she is a little shy and lacking in confidence. Their personalities are different, but athleticism is similar.
Am I one of the few here that doesn't have a dislike option?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Me too. I think she can reach WNBA DeShields good in time.
Let's just slow our roll a little bit here. Geno's praise notwithstanding, let's see, not only what her basketball skills are, but what her BB IQ is. These are two very different things indeed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I guess you and I saw a different player at UT. I never saw Diamond as selfish. Just untutored, frequently indecisive, and in a program that lacked structure and direction. How could you expect anything less when your coach is clueless?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's just slow our roll a little bit here. Geno's praise notwithstanding, let's see, not only what her basketball skills are, but what her BB IQ is. These are two very different things indeed.
Aubrey's father--lead assistant coach for the NBA champions--has a very high basketball IQ.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would like a decision within the next fortnight, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NoaCountAA dragged their feet.

I look for it a day or two before the first exhibition game. It may not come until the day of the Cal game on Nov 10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom