First Music Thread of the Off Season | Page 10 | The Boneyard

First Music Thread of the Off Season

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
not sure if this is funny, wrong, poignant, or dumb. it does smack a bit of montells ('this is how we do it") sound and lyrics. i approved it anyway, prolly cuz i have no taste, and neither do you.
on the udder hand, i don't need an encyclopedia at hand to understand any of it, like i do for some drops here, so there's that.
I have taste.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
@Aluminny69 posted a great Tom Waits song about the Galveston flood. Here is another version that was made around the same period.
First of all, great song. Secondly, I thought I heard Glen Yarbrough in there, but was mistaken. Actually, John Denver at one time sang with Chad Mitchell, while Glen Yarbrough sang with the Limelighters. Anyway, reminded me of this nice hit song by Glen, from an excellent movie starring Steve McQueen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The song is a critical profile of a self-absorbed lover about whom Simon asserts "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you." The title subject's identity has long been a matter of speculation, with Simon stating that the song refers to three men, only one of whom she has named publicly: actor Warren Beatty.

One is almost certainly Mick Jagger who sings back up on the song. No one gavottes quite like Mick Jagger.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, yes, I owned this album in college. Love his voice. Here is Hamilton Camp's cover of the Simon and Garfunkel tune. Again, a very simple yet moving arrangement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fire and Rain by James Taylor
“Taylor wrote Fire and Rain in 1968. The song has three verses. One is about a friend who committed suicide, another is about Taylor's addiction to heroin, the third refers to a mental hospital and a band Taylor started called The Flying Machine. ”

I never knew that. It definitely gives a different take to the song. Same feeling, though, just more details.

Link to NPR article

Reaction Score
No harm in letting Townes spin a tale. Pic it -- and it won't ever heal.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and a three,
speaking of royalty, youse should call him by his proper name, sir elton.
i certainly do.
i was justified,
when i was five.
raised a cain,
i spit in your eye.

bitchin'.

still need sum new clothes, and as much as i respect this guy, i still ain't doin no feathers. prolly make me sneeze, an all that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sir elton is prolly right. he prolly is better than me.
but im taller, and dunk when possible, so i got that working for me.
on the udder, udder hand, he do bring it mighty fine when talkin boot liberty. he wins. we win. everrbuddy wins.

got a whacky cuz down in cheesesteakland, she of the massive new vette with seemingly 3 engines. her phone answer thing is 'shine the light, won't u shine the light?'

Last edited:

UHF

Reaction Score
Yes. 1977. Turn Of The Century.

Hauntingly beautiful.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
here's a tale aboot my filly cuz.

no lie, these people do exist. when she was like 1 day into being licensed, i taught her to open the windows and roof, crank it up to 10, and let money for nothing rip. 'on the mtv' didn't really resonate much with her (what's this mtv youse talk aboot?') but she luvs, luvs, luvs the hot guitar sounds.
she ain't all bad, for a horse girl.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this one's all aboot 'wants,' the most human of tales.

a few years back, up in the green mountains at some 'apres ski' joint (apres ski? as if. should be called hammer time...) the band is monkeying around on a tune up, and the strains of this beat start leaking thru. mg looks at me, eyes widening, and shaking her head 'yes!' she liked to sing this one substituting in 'dudes for free.' oh boy, here we go. next thing you know, she corrupts all the ladies in the joint to sing dudes for free, and halfway in, the band does too. pretty funny.

Reaction Score
I never knew Warren Zevon used to substitute for Paul Schaeffer on the old Letterman show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom