First game | The Boneyard

First game

Reaction Score
My first UConn game was December 2013 vs East Washington. What was your first UConn mens game?

Reaction Score
must have been sometime between ‘78-80 while on campus. Corny Thompson and McKay era. I think at one time that duo had a 20th ranked squad

Reaction Score
Fall 1965 at the Field House.

First time I saw Wes Bialosuknia play with his patented jump shot. They played against Yale and Yale had no answers.

Loud crowd noise. Many games after that. Scrappy teams during that era of Penders, Ritter, Hesford, Thompson, Corley. Biggest games were against Syracuse and Rutgers. PC and BC were powerhouse teams. URI had a bull named Chubin and a silky player named Fultz. AIC had a bull nicknamed "Moose."

Holy Cross always seemed to have our number.

Bad year in 1968-69.

Long time ago. Superior talent today.

Reaction Score
Feb 21,1967 vs New Hampshire, I was 11. After listening to so many games with the volume low so my mother wouldn't know I was listening I knew it was real. Bialasuknia scored 42. I remember walking into the Field House thinking, wow this place is really cool.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
First game was against Townson State in Hershey Park Arena. They celebrated with Donyel Marshall getting an award from Reading High School. Only about 2500 people attended. It was close to Thanksgiving and Penn State was playing.

Reaction Score
Fall 1965 at the Field House.

First time I saw Wes Bialosuknia play with his patented jump shot. They played against Yale and Yale had no answers.

Loud crowd noise. Many games after that. Scrappy teams during that era of Penders, Ritter, Hesford, Thompson, Corley. Biggest games were against Syracuse and Rutgers. PC and BC were powerhouse teams. URI had a bull named Chubin and a silky player named Fultz. AIC had a bull nicknamed "Moose."

Holy Cross always seemed to have our number.

Bad year in 1968-69.

Long time ago. Superior talent today.
I was there for that bad year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My first UConn game was the 99-00 season vs Notre Dame. Coming off the first title we were ranked #2 for this early Big East contest but were a very “meh” team.

Troy Murphy scored at least 30 points I’m pretty sure, dominating Voskuhl in a battle of massive white men and we lost 5 or 6 point game at the Civic Center

Tickets were near impossible to come by still at this point but my brother was able to get a pair from his hall mate Doug Wrenn for my dad and I for Christmas. Given that my brother also worked in the footwear department at Dicks I realized later in life more than just “living on the same floor as Doug Wrenn” must have gone into those tickets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Facts I know about my first game:
  • it was at HCC,
  • I went w/ my oldest sister who either was a student at UConn or was a HS senior knowing she got into UConn,
  • it was against Pitt,
  • Ray Allen was playing
  • the halftime show was a bunch of mascots playing basketball. My personal favorite was the Bob's Discount Furniture mattress, whose stubby arms had no business dribbling a basketball or receiving a pass, but he was a monster at setting picks.
Based on that info (well, four out of those five pieces of information), Sports Reference infers that it was a 2-26-94 game vs Pitt.

Reaction Score
Mine was vs UMass at Curry Hicks Cage in December of 1983. My dad is a UMass alum so he took us to the game. UConn had Earl Kelly, Karl Hobbs, Tim Coles, Vern Giscombe and Gary Besselink. UMass won a great game by 2 points.

Reaction Score
Grand Opening of Gampel Pavilion!!!!!

I was a student way back then. I went to the first 7 home games. Has it gotten any cooler. It was a sauna and pharmacy school graduation was held there and I remember wearing shorts and a very loose tee shirt

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Facts I know about my first game:
  • it was at HCC,
  • I went w/ my oldest sister who either was a student at UConn or was a HS senior knowing she got into UConn,
  • it was against Pitt,
  • Ray Allen was playing
  • the halftime show was a bunch of mascots playing basketball. My personal favorite was the Bob's Discount Furniture mattress, whose stubby arms had no business dribbling a basketball or receiving a pass, but he was a monster at setting picks.
Based on that info (well, four out of those five pieces of information), Sports Reference infers that it was a 2-26-94 game vs Pitt.
Kids getting dressed as burritos: tired
Burritos balling out:wired

Reaction Score
1962 in the field house. No idea who they played, but they won. It was my initiation to college hoops and saw Kimball, Slom, Perno, Manning, Comey, Ritter, etc. play. Coming from a fairly small town in metro Boston, I was amazed at the size and ability of that team. Kimball was an absolute monster on the boards.

Reaction Score
My first UConn game was December 2013 vs East Washington. What was your first UConn mens game?
Bridgeport!

The was the first game I brought my now in-laws.

Both my in-laws are sports nuts. They were born and raised in North Dakota, went to NDSU and have had always hated Eastern Washington because a) they are good at FCS football and are a regular opponent vs NDSU in the playoffs; as Montana residents, Eastern Washington is a big rival of Montana, which is my wife's alma mater; c) their red field.

Stirring that cauldron of hatred made them probably the only two people inside the Webster Bank arena that hated Eastern Montana. They wanted a bludgeoning, more than anyone else in the arena. To my delight, my wife was incredibly embarrassed.

As an adult, easily the most fun I've had attending a cupcake.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Vs. Yale in the fieldhouse in 1987. Uncle Cliff and Co. went on to finish dead last in the Big East, but won the NIT. The NIT quarterfinal game against VCU (also in the fieldhouse) was a scene I'll never forget.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Field house
Mid 70s. Yankee Conference game..
Glad to learn there are people older than me here.

Reaction Score
Not until 2013 at XL vs Syracuse. The Orange were ranked #6 and we pulled off a win. Bazz, Boat, and Omar Calhoun lead the way. Great game!

Reaction Score
My dad took me to my first game sometime in the early 2000s. He's been a season ticket holder since 1988. I can't remember the opponent but my fandom didn't really catch on that day. It wasn't until a few years later when we played Louisville senior night in 2006 when I got really into it. Since then I've been to well over a hundred games and traveled to tournaments/final fours.

Reaction Score
Field house
Mid 70s. Yankee Conference game..
Glad to learn there are people older than me here.
Older than you?

There is a current and active poster on this Board, and a very interesting one at that(I won't mention his name) who stated that he remembers listening to radio programs during his youth and when I looked up the years of the programs he mentioned , they were from the 1920's.

So, that would make him over 100 unless he meant to say he listened to reruns of those a few years later.

Reaction Score
December 1992 at Gampel against St. Johns. I was a freshman and Travis Knight was a freshman living on the same floor in our dorm. He gave me and a buddy 2 of his tickets. Sat a few rows from the floor. Best seats I have ever had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom