OT: - First Colonoscopy Success | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: First Colonoscopy Success

Reaction Score
"Count backwards from 100."

I got to 98, maybe.

Yeah, they told me to drink ginger ale to make the prep more palatable. It ruined ginger ale for me for a couple years.

@NDakotaHusky and others...

A super flukey backstory led to my first colonoscopy a few months before my 48th birthday. After the procedure, they said there were a couple more polyps found, they'd do biopsies, and call me later in the week.

4 or 5 days later, I got a call and someone from the office told me that one of the polyps was malignant, but was removed "with clean margins," and then bid me a good day.

Wait, what?!?!

I called the doctor, who told me that I'd been very fortunate that it was discovered & removed super early, and there was no followup necessary. I pressed him further. He said the only consequence was that going forward I'd have to answer, "Yes" if I was asked, "Have you ever had cancer?" And I had to have followup colonoscopy in 3 years, not 5.

Now I could lighten up, so I suggested that I could have had problems if I hadn't taken seriously the general advice to have a first colonoscopy at age 50. He chuckled and said," Oh no, you & I would have crossed paths before I turned 50. Yikes.

Dodged a bullet that hit me.

21 years later, I've been back to every 5 years for a few cycles.

But wait, there's more...

2010, and high PSA after an extended period without blood levels tested. The biopsy yielded one sample with a Gleason score troublesome for someone with as many years projected on my horizon. 12 years post-treatment, still no evidence of disease.
Sounds like moving the recommended age to 45 was a good idea for the medical industry. Also, very dodgy language used by your Drs. I would of wanted all the cancer screenings at that point. Prostate, liver, thyroid, hand, etc...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Out of respect, I did not post yesterday in this thread. Great to hear that you had no significant issues.

By coincidence, I was also roto-rooted yesterday. My understanding is that the target age for colonoscopies is still 50 unless there is a family history, which I have and thankful that I got it done. I will keep my results to myself for the time being, other than saying that I'm good for 3 years, instead of 5. On the other hand, my experience wasn't so bad to the point where I'm exactly looking forward to another one, but not dreading the procedure either.

I had the pill prep and if you have the choice, I highly recommend it to the stories I'm hearing about the chalky brown liquid that are out there. The worst part of the prep for me was not being able to eat any solid food for 30 hours. So the key was to choose full freight liquids. I.e. nothing "diet," other than low sodium. I drank about a pot and a half of coffee with sugar throughout the day, Gatorade, a couple boxes of Jell-O and beef broth. I was still tired and hangry, but that allowed me to at least get some calories.

12 pills and 48 oz. of clear liquid of the patient's choice (I chose ice water and Gatorade) about 14 hours before the procedure and the same about 5 hours before. My body started to react about an hour after the first dose. One thing I kept in mind was to go sit on the throne the moment I felt "gas," because gas ain't the only thing comin' out once you take the medicine. I was able to sleep through the night up until I had to take the second batch of 12 pills.

The worst part of the procedure in the doctor's office was them inserting the IV.

Reaction Score
The worst part of the procedure in the doctor's office was them inserting the IV.
This is why I waited until I found a doctor that would do it without putting me to sleep, or forcing me to get an IV during the procedure.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is why I waited until I found a doctor that would do it without putting me to sleep, or forcing me to get an IV during the procedure.
Good Lord!! Nope. Put me under.

It was the worst part of a mostly painless procedure. I've hated needles since I was 5 years old, when I thought they took all of my blood, but I get blood drawn every 6 months, so I've learned to tolerate it. mI say the worst part being the IV because they had to replace it after missing my elbow vein twice. Same thing happened 27 years ago when I had knee surgery, but they missed my vein four times and had to change arms.

At the end of the day, don't wait. It can save your life.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I thought this was a sports blog. Are we going to read about bowl selection or bowel resection?

Somewhat related, I didn't know where better to put it, thinking it represents a blind spot in those who named the game, but not wanting to appear disrespectful toward the team in the FB forum.
Screenshot_20221204-211241.png

PS - Interesting to see that this thread got moved to "Entertainment."

Reaction Score
Good Lord!! Nope. Put me under.

My friends who guilted me into getting it in the first place, all have the same reaction. However, just like I used to get my teeth drilled without Novacaine, once it’s over it’s over. No ill effects at all. When it’s over, it’s over.

Reaction Score
I did. No drugs. No IV. Walked out of the doctors office and had no ill affects.
That's what I'm saying. I have a Ukranian friend. They claim all (or almost all) colonoscopies are performed without drugs in Ukraine and other countries.

It's tough me to say how necessary the drugs were for me. I was awake the whole time. Chatting with Dr and others. When the Dr was about to do something that may cause discomfort she would warn me. I felt it, but it wasn't particularly uncomfortable. The drugs may of helped with that. I also think the drugs altered my ability to judge time. The procedure was fast, but it felt like 5 minutes to me. So that was likely the drugs.

I feel like the drugs helped, but I'm not sure they were necessary. Others disagree obviously.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Somewhat related, I didn't know where better to put it, thinking it represents a blind spot in those who named the game, but not wanting to appear disrespectful toward the team in the FB forum.
View attachment 81618

PS - Interesting to see that this thread got moved to "Entertainment."
The other option, "Food and Travel" would have been far less appropriate.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's what I'm saying. I have a Ukranian friend. They claim all (or almost all) colonoscopies are performed without drugs in Ukraine and other countries.

It's tough me to say how necessary the drugs were for me. I was awake the whole time. Chatting with Dr and others. When the Dr was about to do something that may cause discomfort she would warn me. I felt it, but it wasn't particularly uncomfortable. The drugs may of helped with that. I also think the drugs altered my ability to judge time. The procedure was fast, but it felt like 5 minutes to me. So that was likely the drugs.

I feel like the drugs helped, but I'm not sure they were necessary. Others disagree obviously.

I had a tooth pulled and grafted at the end of 2020 using only Novocain. Granted the tooth was infected, but never again. I have another tooth that needs to be done, but I've been putting it off. It's been root canaled but there is a crack, preventing it from being crowned.

I'm sure a colonoscopy can be done without drugs or being put under. but in one of the most technologically advanced countries in terns of medicine in the world, to what end? Just to say you did? I suppose if there is a history of complications, that is one thing. My understanding is there are few side effects to Propofol and, unless you have Michael Jackson's doctor, the risks are minimal.

Reaction Score
I had a tooth pulled and grafted at the end of 2020 using only Novocain. Granted the tooth was infected, but never again. I have another tooth that needs to be done, but I've been putting it off. It's been root canaled but there is a crack, preventing it from being crowned.

I'm sure a colonoscopy can be done without drugs or being put under. but in one of the most technologically advanced countries in terns of medicine in the world, to what end? Just to say you did? I suppose if there is a history of complications, that is one thing. My understanding is there are few side effects to Propofol and, unless you have Michael Jackson's doctor, the risks are minimal.
Makes sense. Yeah, mostly a macho thing. I'd brag to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I know some people question if they should get one, but look at the recent loss of Kirstie Alley.

For those who need a laugh, check out Jim Gaffigan talking about going to the doctor's and getting one done. You can find multiple videos of it on youtube.

Reaction Score
I know some people question if they should get one, but look at the recent loss of Kirstie
I had a couple friends who were badgering me to get one. I figured it was just because since they go through it, they wanted me to suffer the same fate. But then one day I was walking through my neighborhood and I asked my neighbor how her husband was, and she told me he had passed away. He was barely 50 and died from colon cancer. It kind of prompted me to bite the bullet, so to speak, and I had one.

Reaction Score
I mentioned earlier that I've had 3 colonoscopies. The 3rd one was prior to my surgery and removing part of my colon.

The first 2 had over the counter prep. The one before my operation was a prescription kit. Between 7 pm and 7 am, I went to the bathroom 27 times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom