OT: - First Colonoscopy Success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: First Colonoscopy Success

Reaction Score
  • 4 colonoscopies in the books for Deepster. Had difficulties with diverticulitis and eventually had 8 inches of colon removed. I had no problems with the prep or procedure of a colonoscopy and felt like a million bucks. Downed a full meatball grinder right after the last one.
  • Also had a pilonidal cyst that someone mentioned above. Didn't go under for that one and actually had an epidural. So when women who've had an epidural complain about childbirth, I call BS. You could have busted my ankles Misery-style and I wouldn't have known.
  • To try and really one-up the thread, I had issues with my bladder a couple years ago. Try being awake, with no anasthesia as they put a camera up the willy and into your bladder for a few minutes. Bladder cystoscopy.
Sounds like good mojo

Reaction Score
Great news and congrats! This may be one of the seriously OT threads of all time, and a little uncomfortable to talk about, but it is very important and sharing it might remind somebody it is time to get theirs and save their lives. If you are of the right age go get this done. If you have risk factors or family history go get this done. It might save your life.
I had my first three years ago and was told no worries all squeaky clean. It was a great feeling after going through the prep which is a pain in the ....
Afterwards, when I awoke, both the Dr and the nurse were smoking cigarettes and their pants were neatly folded on the chair next to mine! I figured this is great it must have been a success!
Seriously though sharing this on a board like this full of people who are mostly what the doc puts the probe up is brave and earnest and might just remind someone they need theirs.

Reaction Score
Glad things went well for you.

Had my prostate biopsy at 3:30. Lol. Could not believe how painless it was. I didn’t have any drugs. And I don’t have the balls to create a thread about it. I did learn my prostates are huge. So had to google if it’s related to ejaculation. Fortunately it’s not. Hopefully my PSA is related to those babies being large and not cancer. I’ll give an update just for @alphasigko cause I’m sure he’s looking forward to it.
More TMI, but interesting take on the biopsy... I have only heard nightmare stories before this one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Colonoscopy prep isn't any worse than a caffeine loosened morning bomb.
Dropping a good one before you start the prep is a good idea.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
More TMI, but interesting take on the biopsy... I have only heard nightmare stories before this one.
The reputation of the physician was spot on.

Many procedures and most medical care is only as good as the people performing the treatments.

Reaction Score
  • 4 colonoscopies in the books for Deepster. Had difficulties with diverticulitis and eventually had 8 inches of colon removed. I had no problems with the prep or procedure of a colonoscopy and felt like a million bucks. Downed a full meatball grinder right after the last one.
  • Also had a pilonidal cyst that someone mentioned above. Didn't go under for that one and actually had an epidural. So when women who've had an epidural complain about childbirth, I call BS. You could have busted my ankles Misery-style and I wouldn't have known.
  • To try and really one-up the thread, I had issues with my bladder a couple years ago. Try being awake, with no anasthesia as they put a camera up the willy and into your bladder for a few minutes. Bladder cystoscopy.
Been there, done that. All of it.

Reaction Score
They cauterize on the way out. Sounds like a firecracker going off underneath you. Almost jumped off the table.

Reaction Score
The pilonidal cyst surgery wasn't the problem. They put me under and dug like a foot out of my body but what led up to it and after the surgery was awful. An open arse wound I had to pack for over a year before it healed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Painless, scared you though… at least mine scared me. No heads-up on what was going to happen.
The doctor was terrific. Everything explained. Applied the local with almost zero pain. 12 punch biopsies. He let me know just before each one. All painless but he knew the worst was getting startled without the preparation.

It took almost two months to get my exam appointment with him. My back went out three days prior. I didn’t care. I kept the appointment. Made the right call. Now it’s a waiting game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They cauterize on the way out. Sounds like a firecracker going off underneath you. Almost jumped off the table.
Not sure that happened. I’ll have to ask.

Reaction Score
Crappiest thread of the day.

Had my prostate biopsy at 3:30. Lol. Could not believe how painless it was. I didn’t have any drugs. And I don’t have the balls to create a thread about it. I did learn my prostates are huge. So had to google if it’s related to ejaculation. Fortunately it’s not. Hopefully my PSA is related to those babies being large and not cancer. I’ll give an update just for @alphasigko cause I’m sure he’s looking forward to it.
Just finished. No significant issues. I do have some diverticulosis pockets. Dr said it's not much to worry about though. Pretty common.

The actual procedure was beyond trivial. I had more discomfort inserting the i.v. to administer the drugs
My mom’s twin brother died of colon cancer so
I was recommended for one in the 1980’
Colon cancer is preventable with this procedure
The typically remove precancerous polyps during the procedure
My first one with no drugs , I watched the whole procedure on the scene . It was interested especially because it was perfect .
Also it was weird to see the light shining trough your stomach
The prep is the worst and since my last one was in my 70’s . I’m totally released .
I was on drugs for BPH for years and they weren’t working plus they have bad side effects so My Dr recommended me to a urologist
He found a hernia so had surgery in April , then when I recover I had a Urolift procedure in the Dr’s office
Valium and laughing gas
I’m off drugs

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Please call it Senhor Prostatio.
Season 1 Omg GIF by BET Plus

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Studies have shown that proctologists are the least liked doctors of all. They're always looking at their patients uttering, "What an a**hole!"

Reaction Score
Wow thats a real pisser

Reaction Score
The pilonidal cyst surgery wasn't the problem. They put me under and dug like a foot out of my body but what led up to it and after the surgery was awful. An open arse wound I had to pack for over a year before it healed.

Yeah mine was a peach pit. It was an open wound for a couple weeks after but not bad. They said if the “roots spread” it’s a lot worse.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Once the drugs are in they can do anything they want to you. You dont care.

Good job.
"Count backwards from 100."

I got to 98, maybe.

With a Colonoscopy it isn’t the procedure it’s the preparation. I still can’t look at Gatorade.

Yeah, they told me to drink ginger ale to make the prep more palatable. It ruined ginger ale for me for a couple years.

These things are extremely important and early detection can save lives.

@NDakotaHusky and others...

A super flukey backstory led to my first colonoscopy a few months before my 48th birthday. After the procedure, they said there were a couple more polyps found, they'd do biopsies, and call me later in the week.

4 or 5 days later, I got a call and someone from the office told me that one of the polyps was malignant, but was removed "with clean margins," and then bid me a good day.

Wait, what?!?!

I called the doctor, who told me that I'd been very fortunate that it was discovered & removed super early, and there was no followup necessary. I pressed him further. He said the only consequence was that going forward I'd have to answer, "Yes" if I was asked, "Have you ever had cancer?" And I had to have followup colonoscopy in 3 years, not 5.

Now I could lighten up, so I suggested that I could have had problems if I hadn't taken seriously the general advice to have a first colonoscopy at age 50. He chuckled and said," Oh no, you & I would have crossed paths before I turned 50. Yikes.

Dodged a bullet that hit me.

21 years later, I've been back to every 5 years for a few cycles.

But wait, there's more...

2010, and high PSA after an extended period without blood levels tested. The biopsy yielded one sample with a Gleason score troublesome for someone with as many years projected on my horizon. 12 years post-treatment, still no evidence of disease.

Reaction Score
Unless you have a family history of colon cancer or symptoms that your doctor feels warrants a colonoscopy, the at-home Cologuard Test done yearly or every few years is a good option. It's 93% effective and detecting cancer, which for me is good enough just as a precaution since I have no family history. If the test is positive, you can follow up with a colonoscopy. A lot cheaper than a colonoscopy and if you do it every couple years, the 93% accuracy percentage increases. My doctor told me colon cancer is slow to develop, so if you get tested every few years (even every 5 years) after age 50 (I had a colonoscopy at 42), you should be good. Colon cancer is the silent killer because it progresses for years before you even know it. I'm getting a colonoscopy soon because I hit an age milestone, and then will probably do the at home test in the future on an on-going basis.

Reaction Score
Just finished. No significant issues. I do have some diverticulosis pockets. Dr said it's not much to worry about though. Pretty common.

The actual procedure was beyond trivial. I had more discomfort inserting the i.v. to administer the drugs
The prep is the worst. I was so damn hungry, tired and felt miserable.

I would rather have Covid .

ctchamps

Reaction Score
"Count backwards from 100."

I got to 98, maybe.

Yeah, they told me to drink ginger ale to make the prep more palatable. It ruined ginger ale for me for a couple years.

@NDakotaHusky and others...

A super flukey backstory led to my first colonoscopy a few months before my 48th birthday. After the procedure, they said there were a couple more polyps found, they'd do biopsies, and call me later in the week.

4 or 5 days later, I got a call and someone from the office told me that one of the polyps was malignant, but was removed "with clean margins," and then bid me a good day.

Wait, what?!?!

I called the doctor, who told me that I'd been very fortunate that it was discovered & removed super early, and there was no followup necessary. I pressed him further. He said the only consequence was that going forward I'd have to answer, "Yes" if I was asked, "Have you ever had cancer?" And I had to have followup colonoscopy in 3 years, not 5.

Now I could lighten up, so I suggested that I could have had problems if I hadn't taken seriously the general advice to have a first colonoscopy at age 50. He chuckled and said," Oh no, you & I would have crossed paths before I turned 50. Yikes.

Dodged a bullet that hit me.

21 years later, I've been back to every 5 years for a few cycles.

But wait, there's more...

2010, and high PSA after an extended period without blood levels tested. The biopsy yielded one sample with a Gleason score troublesome for someone with as many years projected on my horizon. 12 years post-treatment, still no evidence of disease.
Great news.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Prep was a blast. Procedure with propofol was quick. It seemed like only seconds had passed.

Reaction Score
Moved to the "Entertainment" Board? While I took this thread lightly at first, the longer it went on, and the posts sharing experiences related to the prep, the procedure, biopsies, etc.increased in number, the more informative and educational it became, regarding a very serious subject.

Thanks to all for posting their experiences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom