OT: - first album, first track | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: first album, first track

Reaction Score
My buddy @nwhoopfan was looking for a new music thread, and I'd been thinking about this for awhile. Every so often, and certainly in some periods moreso than others, an artist comes around that blows your mind, and often the first moment from their first album lets you know you'll never listen to music the same way again.

So post a first track from a first album that fits the bill. I usually leave the low-hanging fruit for others, but I must post the one that I come back to again and again. Music was never the same after Jimi Hendrix:

Hendrix and The Doors had similar impact on me. My dad was in England and brought back an as yet unreleased in the US copy of Axis Bold As Love. Was pure chance as he had no idea who Hendrix was or that Are You Experienced had such an effect on me. When the US version was released a short time later I recall it was slightly different.

Reaction Score
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Christine's Tune from the Gilded Palace of Sin got me going on them. This is the live version, two years after the original release:

Reaction Score

The weird thing about black bands were many of them found success with their 2nd album. Earth, Wind and Fire, Sly Stone, Ohio Players, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, etc. Zapp was the main band that came out with a MAJOR hit on their first try.

Reaction Score
The greatest blues-rock band of all time, The Allman Brother Band. And their first album, self-titled, has, in my opinion, one of the greatest intros in popular music history. And here's the kick--the first cut, which is entitled "Don't Want You No More," is actually just the introduction to the second cut, "It's Not My Cross to Bear." Even though the record company showed these two songs as separate tracks, there's no pause at all between the cuts. They are the same song, in my opinion, and I'm gonna take credit for both as one of the greatest first song, first album candidates. "Don't Want You No More" is actually a surprise--it's a very jazzy instrumental, featuring Gregg Allman's blues organ and the dual lead guitars of Dickie Betts and Duane Allman. (Why jazzy? I've read that Duane was a big fan of Miles Davis, and listened to his music incessantly.) "It's Not My Cross To Bear" starts after a seamless segue, and it's an archetypal gospel/blues tune. It begins with a howl from Gregg, and moves into lead guitars by Dickie and Duane. It's a marvel.

Allmans.jpg

Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
To diversify things a bit, a few oldies but goodies from my formative years:

Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill, All I Really Want

Do I stress you out?
My sweater is on backwards and inside out
And you say, how appropriate
I don't like to dissect everything today
I don't mean to pick you apart you see
But I can't help it

Fiona Apple, Tidal, Sleep to Dream

I tell you how I feel, but you don't care
I say tell me the truth, but you don't dare
You say love is a hell you cannot bear
And I say gimme mine back and then go there, for all I care

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
fine. wonderful. I get it. no beats from this century. lovely. okey doke, so scanning the way back, and in honor of the luv that won't flow, here, have an aptly named tune, which was my intro to their music. new to me. lol. youse need to dance more, it's good for ur health.
'1,2,3,4, i'm your boogie man!'

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, these guys were both then, and now, so I guess I can cover both centuries with this. I heard this tune live, before it apparently was even on an album(dookie), which wiki says was their first major label release, so im going with that.
'I heard you cry aloud, all the way across town,
you've been searching for that someone
and its me out on the prowl...'

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Robinson brothers came out swinging.

The Black Crowes - Twice As Hard

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom