Fire pit things | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fire pit things

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One question, is the shield/screen absolutely necessary? It's expensive.
No, it's not necessary, and it's more expensive than it is worth imo. I am happy we have it for an extra measure of security to keep large embers from popping out, but you don't need it and it does add both another risk due to how hot it gets; and another step when you want add logs or stir the fire.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, it's not necessary, and it's more expensive than it is worth imo. I am happy we have it for an extra measure of security to keep large embers from popping out, but you don't need it and it does add both another risk due to how hot it gets; and another step when you want add logs or stir the fire.

Thanks. Just ordered

Reaction Score
Just ordered the solo stove bonfire after seeing it at a neighbor's backyard. Our standard "pit" from wayfair might as well be a smoke machine. You have to wash all clothes and take a shower immediately (it's like going to Ted's / Huskies in the 90's). We got home from the neighbor's house and my wife made me order one immediately.

I looked at the Bonfire and the bigger one, but the extra couple hundred dollars (when you include the extra price for the pit, as well as the ring and cover) wasn't worth it to me since I'll only use it occassionally. I also looked at the Breeo which was nice looking, but super heavy (50lbs vs 20lbs).

The Solo Stove is backordered now (not surprising). I ordered on 10/18 and it's supposed to ship on 11/2.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I got mine on Friday. Impressed with overall quality. Even the cover is nice. Have not yet fired it up, but look forward to giving it a try.

Reaction Score
I looked at the link and it is 19.4" W x 14". That seems small. What are the dimensions on yours?
That's what she said.

To me the Solo doesn't exactly look rustic but if it gives off a lot of heat, function over form.

We need to take out our old oil tank and I was thinking of converting that into a large fire pit/grill. I need to have someone come take out about 100 gallons of oil first. Our timing of getting rid of oil heat wasn't ideal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I looked at the Bonfire and the bigger one, but the extra couple hundred dollars (when you include the extra price for the pit, as well as the ring and cover) wasn't worth it to me since I'll only use it occassionally. I also looked at the Breeo which was nice looking, but super heavy (50lbs vs 20lbs).
While I don't know this for sure, I think that the wider radius may make it less efficient at igniting the secondary combustion. I'll be curious to see a picture of @HuskyHawk's in action. I've been doing a lot indoor fires this fall. I bought a piece to correct the firebox dimensions. That and the fact that I converted it to gas makes it easy. I do miss building wood fires though.

Reaction Score
Anyone own a Breeo? I'm thinking of getting one for my father:

I have the Breeo and it is absolutely awesome. Big beautiful warm flames and zero smoke on us or our clothes. Never used it to cook but as a fire pit on our patio, I couldn’t recommend it more.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
1603142330375.png

That's not a fire. That's what left after a fire.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are putting in fire pits, some portable some built up with brick or stone. if there’s any wind you have to shower and wash your clothes otherwise you end up smelling like a piece of smoked meat. Then you have to scrounge up or buy stuff to burn.The propane gas kits are easy and clean. Not a real fire I know but the best thing I’ve done in my house is put gas units in my home’s 2 fireplaces. Great heat with no loss and no smoky smell, on demand. Goodbye downdrafts.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A lot of people are putting in fire pits, some portable some built up with brick or stone. if there’s any wind you have to shower and wash your clothes otherwise you end up smelling like a piece of smoked meat. Then you have to scrounge up or buy stuff to burn.The propane gas kits are easy and clean. Not a real fire I know but the best thing I’ve done in my house is put gas units in my home’s 2 fireplaces. Great heat with no loss and no smoky smell, on demand. Goodbye downdrafts.

That kind of misses the point. I think these are popular now so that people can have friends or family over while outside, for a bit longer into the cool weather. I have friends with outdoor gas fire pits and they don't generate enough heat to actually keep people warm. As for scrounging, I had oaks taken down years ago and left as logs, which I split myself, then stacked. Since I never have fires indoors, all that wood has just been sitting there for years now.

Reaction Score
That kind of misses the point. I think these are popular now so that people can have friends or family over while outside, for a bit longer into the cool weather. I have friends with outdoor gas fire pits and they don't generate enough heat to actually keep people warm. As for scrounging, I had oaks taken down years ago and left as logs, which I split myself, then stacked. Since I never have fires indoors, all that wood has just been sitting there for years now.
Oh, I get the charm of an outdoor fire. My daughter just got the gas heater like the restaurants use for dining. Those are good too but maybe not below 50 degrees.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Oh, I get the charm of an outdoor fire. My daughter just got the gas heater like the restaurants use for dining. Those are good too but maybe not below 50 degrees.

We used to sit out at our Vermont place when it was in the 30's. Fire + warm clothes + blankets. Those things are pretty good, but you need to combine them with sweatshirts and blankets. Hope it works well for her, those are hard to get now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Last night was a great night for my Bonfire. I started it up around 5:00, had the outdoor speakers on, grilled and ate dinner on the deck. By the time we finished dinner it was throwing the perfect amount of heat for effortless s'mores. I finished off with two more toasted marshmallows just because the browning conditions were so ideal. Passed out while the thing was still glowing and woke up to less than a cup of ashes.

Reaction Score

These things are dumb enough as it is. Now you don't even want to burn real wood? You might as well turn on your Weber and stand around that drinking beer and roasting marshmellows.

CL82

Reaction Score
Last night was a great night for my Bonfire. I started it up around 5:00, had the outdoor speakers on, grilled and ate dinner on the deck. By the time we finished dinner it was throwing the perfect amount of heat for effortless s'mores. I finished off with two more toasted marshmallows just because the browning conditions were so ideal. Passed out while the thing was still glowing and woke up to less than a cup of ashes.
Man, they should be be paying you 88. Every time I read one of you posts on this thing, I lean more toward getting one.

@jibsey I have a gas fireplace at home and you can't beat the convenience. But, nice as it is, nothing beats a real fire.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Man, they should be be paying you 88. Every time I read one of you posts on this thing, I lean more toward getting one.

@jibsey I have a gas fireplace at home and you can't beat the convenience. But, nice as it is, nothing beats a real fire.

I have to admit, after one use, I am glad I bought it. Initially I had too much smoke, but with some log arranging that ended. It's actually visually attractive, as the surface reflects the flames. I had heard they don't give off much heat and that is utterly wrong. I've owned several cheaper fire pit things, and this gave out vastly more heat than those.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have to admit, after one use, I am glad I bought it. Initially I had too much smoke, but with some log arranging that ended. It's actually visually attractive, as the surface reflects the flames. I had heard they don't give off much heat and that is utterly wrong. I've owned several cheaper fire pit things, and this gave out vastly more heat than those.
I agree with the poster who said it looked like your top ring was upside down. I think if you reverse it, it will improve the secondary combustion.

The think that gives me doubts is that I actually like tending a fire. A nudge here or there repositioning the logs to get an optimal fire. This thing looks like you get it going dump the logs in and it does the rest. On the other hand, it still looks inviting.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree with the poster who said it looked like you top ring was upside down. I think if you reverse it, it will improve the secondary combustion.

The think that gives me doubts is that I actually like tending a fire. A nudge here or there repositioning the logs to get an optimal fire. This thing looks like you get it going dump the logs in and it does the rest. On the other hand, it still looks inviting.
His top ring is definitely upside down in that picture.

You can absolutely play with, tend and reposition to your heart's desire. Actually the dimensions make it a little more of a challenge in terms of sequencing your logs. I keep a poker and fireplace gloves next to it and have a small bin on the deck that can hold a night's worth of wood.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with the poster who said it looked like you top ring was upside down. I think if you reverse it, it will improve the secondary combustion.

Yes, I will fix that. But I did need to tend it. It was smoky until I did. As I added wood, I repositioned things. It's like any fire in that way. I don't know what you have now, but after spending say $100-120 on several fire pits that then rusted and were never very good, this thing seems to be something that will last.

As for secondary combustion, this was probably two hours after I added any wood.

fire pit.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom