Final Four semis | The Boneyard

Final Four semis

Reaction Score
Saniya Rivers looked like a player who wouldn’t see the court in Columbia.

Wes Moore should be ashamed of himself. He played the starters the entire game to protect his own ego instead of giving everyone on his bench a chance to play in a Final Four game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wes Moore should be ashamed of himself. He played the starters the entire game
Box score shows 9 players for NC State. Doesn't have minutes played, but one of the non starters took 11 shots so she must've been on the floor quite a bit.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Q3 is critical for SC. Outscored Oregon St. by 8 in the Regional Final, outscored NC State 50-0. Okay not quite but close.

Reaction Score
Box score shows 9 players for NC State. Doesn't have minutes played, but one of the non starters took 11 shots so she must've been on the floor quite a bit.
She’s the 6th member of their six player rotation. The deep reserves barely saw the court.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She’s the 6th member of their six player rotation. The deep reserves barely saw the court.
Most teams don't have 10 starters like SC does. How deep do you think either team is going in semi #2?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The other 3 combined for 13 minutes. 37 minutes for the bench combined. Somehow "he played the starters the entire game..." seems like more than hyperbole, it's flat out dishonest.

Reaction Score
So you're just mad NC State didn't waive the white flag with 8 minutes left in the game, is that what this is about?
Give it a rest, dude. I think you should give your end of the bench real court time in their only chance to see a FF game once it’s decided and you don’t. I think that was clear three comments back.

Reaction Score
Huge play by Iowa’s second best player at the decisive moment with 4 seconds left. Been reliable for them for two years now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Give it a rest, dude. I think you should give your end of the bench real court time in their only chance to see a FF game once it’s decided and you don’t. I think that was clear three comments back.
No, I won't. So NC State empties the bench while South Carolina is still playing regular rotation players, because that is their bench. Lead grows to like 35 or something. What is served by doing that?

Reaction Score
No, I won't. So NC State empties the bench while South Carolina is still playing regular rotation players, because that is their bench. Lead grows to like 35 or something. What is served by doing that?
Ah. Now I get it. You’ve never coached and do not realize the losing team sets the tone for when both teams empty the bench.

You do it because you’re taking care of your walkons and end of the bench girls who bust their tails all year and you should care about that more than your own ego.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
We tied South Carolina in the first quarter...and outscored them in the 2nd and 4th. But that 3rd quarter was the difference. Making 1 basket over a 10-minute period won't cut it against a team like South Carolina.

It was a great season for NC State. Making the Final Four far exceeded my expectations coming into the season. It is time now for me to go into my annual hibernation until next season. Maybe the Wolfpack can make another deep run. We've got everyone coming back except Collins and Baldwin (unless there are entrants into the portal...and there could be) but we have some nice recruits coming in next season so I'm expecting another solid season in 2024-25.

Reaction Score
We tied South Carolina in the first quarter...and outscored them in the 2nd and 4th. But that 3rd quarter was the difference. Making 1 basket over a 10-minute period won't cut it against a team like South Carolina.

It was a great season for NC State. Making the Final Four far exceeded my expectations coming into the season. It is time now for me to go into my annual hibernation until next season. Maybe the Wolfpack can make another deep run. We've got everyone coming back except Collins and Baldwin (unless there are entrants into the portal...and there could be) but we have some nice recruits coming in next season so I'm expecting another solid season in 2024-25.
Congratulations on an excellent season.

Reaction Score
I was surprised NC State went to zone in the 3rd quarter after playing SC that tight in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
What a bummer.

I knew it was a tall task against South Carolina but down 1 at the half and didn’t even play well - I was borderline optimistic. Plus Cardosa had killed us for 16 points at the break and she hobbled off at the half.

The 3rd qtr was a killer. Nothing went right. State couldn’t throw it in the ocean, the zone was puzzling and blew up in our face. I get we wanted to change how we guarded Cardosa because she was eating us alive - but it allowed everyone else to get going and the Cocks were raining 3s on us. State doesn’t traditionally play zone, and it looked it too!

I thought James, Brooks and Baldwin were the only girls who played their “normal” games. Hayes and Collins missed open jumpers they have made all season and otherwise looked slow and unathletic by comparison to USCs players.

I don’t like bashing anyone, and this isn’t meant to be that - but Saniya had her worst game of the year by far. I think she was totally psyching herself out and in her head going against her former team. She was rushed. Her shots were forced. She was unsure on passes. Timid on defense. 5 turnovers and 5 points on 2-11 shooting. I mean … wow. First play of the game she has a run out and somehow missed the bunny badly. That was a sign of things to come for her. I hate it for her because she has been great this year and is such an easy one to root for, always positive and smiling and seems to have and infectious personality. But she was pressing and absolutely put up a stinker.

I thought South Carolina played more physical defense than we’ve seen all year and we didn’t handle it well. Every rebound was contested. Every outlet pass contested. Every dribble Saniya made was contested. They were handsy and the refs let them play, not one sided - they let both teams play. State just didn’t ramp up the energy on defense and push the envelop with physicality. States lack of depth hurt as well.

The comment about emptying your bench seems weird to me. You’re in the Final Four. Sure you’re down 16 or whatever but why waive the white flag when you are 10 minutes away from a championship game? State has rallied against good teams before. USC has blown big leads this very tournament. It’s appropriate to question if Wes should have developed his bench more this year and been able to trust them by now - but this ain’t Tball. Everyone doesn’t get a participation trophy. You are trying to win. He put in bench players under 5 minutes to go and let them see some action and get some shots up. That was appropriate I thought.

Overall it was a fantastic season. Became the 7th team in history to make the final four when unranked in the preseason. James put her name on the map as a legit All American type player, Saniya took a major step forward as an all around player and leader, Zoe Brooks proved she is a future star and the Pack reeled off more top 25 wins than any team in the nation. Wins over traditional powers like Stanford, Tennessee and UConn all in one season to go along with wins over Colorado, Duke, UNC, FSU, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame and Texas.

Nothing to hang our heads about. We have a final four banner to hang in Reynolds and a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ah. Now I get it. You’ve never coached and do not realize the losing team sets the tone for when both teams empty the bench.

You do it because you’re taking care of your walkons and end of the bench girls who bust their tails all year and you should care about that more than your own ego.
Not with 8 minutes left.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom