Films Worth Viewing Year 3 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 3

Reaction Score
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"- Justin Chadwick-2013

The title comes from Mandela's autobiography. Chadwick is known primarily for his work in British TV, However, he directed films between 2008-2017. The writer, William Nicholson, is known for some prominent films: Shadowlands, Les Miserables, Hyde Park on Hudson, and Gladiator. In "Hyde Park on Hudson" once you get over the shock of Bill Murray playing FDR; you see that both films attempt to show us the personal life of huge historical figures. Neither Murray, nor Elba pass the basic look test; this is my problem,but it detracted from my appreciation of the films.

Idris Elba is best known for his TV work most prominently "The Wire." Morgan Freeman was the original first choice, but he lost out after he made "Invictus" with Clint Eastwood. Trying to be fair, Elba is very solid in the role. I have more problems with Naomie Harris as Winnie Mandela. I admit that this is a crushingly difficult role; Harris stated she found seven Winnie's. She is best with the young and sexy Winnie. Elba gets stronger as the film goes on. He makes the transformation into the heroic Mandela believable. The trial sequence in the film is not the only time he was tried for treason. He and 28 other ANC leaders were tried between December of 1956 and March of 1963. They were acquitted.

I think that the film tries to cover too much ground. "Invictus" fares better with its more limited scope. Still for all my carping; this is a solid film. Serious biopics are a very difficult genre. They are unlikely to be big at the box office either. This is well worth viewing.

Reaction Score
"When Harry Met Sally"-Rob Reiner-1989
"Persuasion"-Ang Lee-1995
"Pride and Prejudice"-Joe Wright-2005

Rom Com is a genre which seems to be ailing and close to death, but seems to gain new life every few years. Shakespeare has been the basis for many films. Jane Austin is another prime source; in America we have Louisa May Alcott. Jane Austin's novels were published anonymously. The novel was a new form when she began writing. Her novels are alive today. Fiction is a popular medium, and female readership is necessary for success. IMDb ranks films popularity among men and among women. These 3 films rank very highly among women viewers. It is interesting that all three directors are male.

Jane Austin writes of a time when marriage was the only option for a woman. The necessity of marriage is in conflict with romantic love. Austen created intelligent characters both male and female. She wrote of what she observed and knew. It is a tribute to her genius that her characters have a reality 200 years later. However, the translation of novel to screen seems to be tied to a particular time. It is probably hopeless to look for a definitive screen version of any of her novels. Then we must give a nod to adaptations; "Clueless" is a prime example; this reconfiguring of "Emma" was a critical and box office success. I find "Pride and Prejudice" to be my favorite Austen work; however, this version isn't my favorite. The cast is mostly excellent. Donald Sutherland (Mr. Bennet) is one of my favorite actors, he deserves praise. Keira Knightly is also a favorite, this is a nuanced performance which does her credit. Matthew McFadden I like, but this performance is lacking in the Charisma I want in a Darcy. "Persuasion" i a weaker book,but the screenplay by Emma Thompson is better.
Ang Lee is a superior director, and this first effort with an English story and cast shows his expertise. The 4 principals: Alan Rickman, Rosamund Pike, Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson are excellent. This is the better of these two movies, but both are highly recommended.

"When Harry Met Sally" is an American take on the Rom Com. The Nora Ephron script is excellent. She and Rob Reiner worked on the script for years. Billy Crystal was a longtime friend of Reiner. He made several additions to the script the most famous of which is "I'll have what she is having" which punctuates the fake scene was a Billy Crystal suggestion. The actress who has the line is Rob Reiner's mother. This was Meg Ryan's first starring role. The film was a huge financial success. Reiner was in the groove in this film;he had a 10+year period where he made a bunch of classic films; this is one of those films. I like the use of music, Ephron did even better with music in "Sleepless in Seattle." We have two clever, articulate characters. They talk about male/female relationships in a way that hadn't been seen on screen before. Still there is a debt to Jane Austin. Filming in NYC added to the film's charm.

I'm big on DVD extras; "When Harry Met Sally" is one of the best ever. Don't miss the discussion between Nora Ephron and Rob Reiner. The DVD came out in 2008. "Pride and Prejudice"has lots of extras, but the quality is just okay. "Persuasion" has a single excellent extra, Emma Thompson's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes.

I.ve watched many films lately. I thought of grouping these three films in a comment. I hope that this will interest you.

Reaction Score
"Taxi Driver"-Martin Scorcese-1976belon

Many cinephiles think this belongs in the highest reaches of film heaven. Many others hate it. While critical opinions vary; they generally hold this film in high regard. Well over 40 years have passed since this low budget (1.8 million) film with a young director and an unknown screen writer was made. I hadn't watched this film in at least a decade. I found this film to be better, much better than I remember.
I was fortunate enough to watch a DVD version which included many hours of extras. Despite a gore filled ending; this is introspective filmmaking. Who is Travis Bickle? We know little about him; he was honorably discharged from the Marines in 1973. He served in Viet Nam. The film opens with him applying for a job as a cab driver. He has trouble sleeping, and he wants to work maximum hours.

Travis is lonely. He refers to himself as "God's lonely man." During the picture no one comes inside his apartment. He has no friends. De Niro is great as Bickle. His performance carries the film. There is a discussion about whether Travis is responsible for his isolation. He tries with Betsy (Cybil Shepard), he tries with Wizard (Peter Boyle), he tries with Iris (Jodi Foster), all are failures. He despises the city. He comes to believe that he can make a difference. We watch him as he purchases guns, practices shooting, develops methods to conceal his weapons; the first culmination comes when he shots and kills a grocery store robber. The store owner tells him to leave; he will take care of things.

We see the world through Travis' eyes. Sometimes that view is almost hallucinatory. There is the famous scene where Travis is posing before the Mirror. "You talking to me?...." There is no one else there.

I believe that certain individuals find it difficult to relate with others. Some people find interpersonal contact easy. They search out situations with crowds. They reach out to others regularly. Others find such efforts difficult. If they are rebuffed; it is very difficult. Several rejections in quick time, and they are less likely to put themselves out there. Sometimes the reaction can move the person to violence.

Rarely do we find a film which delves so successfully into the internal workings of a troubled mind. I should mention the Bernard Herman score. He is one of the all time greats; this was his last score. He died while the score was being recorded. Herman used no strings. This adds an underlying melancholy note to the film.

This isn't an easy film, but it is a great film.

Reaction Score
"Taxi Driver"-Martin Scorcese-1976belon

Many cinephiles think this belongs in the highest reaches of film heaven. Many others hate it. While critical opinions vary; they generally hold this film in high regard. Well over 40 years have passed since this low budget (1.8 million) film with a young director and an unknown screen writer was made. I hadn't watched this film in at least a decade. I found this film to be better, much better than I remember.
I was fortunate enough to watch a DVD version which included many hours of extras. Despite a gore filled ending; this is introspective filmmaking. Who is Travis Bickle? We know little about him; he was honorably discharged from the Marines in 1973. He served in Viet Nam. The film opens with him applying for a job as a cab driver. He has trouble sleeping, and he wants to work maximum hours.

Travis is lonely. He refers to himself as "God's lonely man." During the picture no one comes inside his apartment. He has no friends. De Niro is great as Bickle. His performance carries the film. There is a discussion about whether Travis is responsible for his isolation. He tries with Betsy (Cybil Shepard), he tries with Wizard (Peter Boyle), he tries with Iris (Jodi Foster), all are failures. He despises the city. He comes to believe that he can make a difference. We watch him as he purchases guns, practices shooting, develops methods to conceal his weapons; the first culmination comes when he shots and kills a grocery store robber. The store owner tells him to leave; he will take care of things.

We see the world through Travis' eyes. Sometimes that view is almost hallucinatory. There is the famous scene where Travis is posing before the Mirror. "You talking to me?...." There is no one else there.

I believe that certain individuals find it difficult to relate with others. Some people find interpersonal contact easy. They search out situations with crowds. They reach out to others regularly. Others find such efforts difficult. If they are rebuffed; it is very difficult. Several rejections in quick time, and they are less likely to put themselves out there. Sometimes the reaction can move the person to violence.

Rarely do we find a film which delves so successfully into the internal workings of a troubled mind. I should mention the Bernard Herman score. He is one of the all time greats; this was his last score. He died while the score was being recorded. Herman used no strings. This adds an underlying melancholy note to the film.

This isn't an easy film, but it is a great film.
IMHO, one of the best films of all time. There is an absolute iconic scene (no not that one) about halfway through. Travis is waiting for the presidential rally to begin. But all we see is his feet. Slowly the camera pans up. We all know the mayhem hiding in his clothes, the knife in his socks, the hand guns on his wrist and under his shoulder. The slow pan up reminds us of the horrible potential of his madness until it reveals, he has shaved his head and now sports a mohawk. He is not only dangerous --- HE'S INSANE.

I also agree the score is sensational. Watch the scene in the beginning where the taxi comes through the steam of the city sewer grate. Without the score it is pedestrian, with the score it is foreboding as hell.

Reaction Score
IMHO, one of the best films of all time. There is an absolute iconic scene (no not that one) about halfway through. Travis is waiting for the presidential rally to begin. But all we see is his feet. Slowly the camera pans up. We all know the mayhem hiding in his clothes, the knife in his socks, the hand guns on his wrist and under his shoulder. The slow pan up reminds us of the horrible potential of his madness until it reveals, he has shaved his head and now sports a mohawk. He is not only dangerous --- HE'S INSANE.

I also agree the score is sensational. Watch the scene in the beginning where the taxi comes through the steam of the city sewer grate. Without the score it is pedestrian, with the score it is foreboding as hell.
Excellent comments.

Reaction Score
"Fargo"-Joel Coen-1996

I have watched the TV show several times since I watched the movie. I had forgotten just how good the movie was. The film won two Oscars (Best Actress and Best Screenplay). The budget was 7 million, the US gross was 60.6 million. The setting of North Dakota and Minnesota is realistic with fantasy undertones. The film opens with the statement that it is based on a true story. The brothers called the area "Siberia with family restaurants." The disposal of a body via woodchipper is an historic Boneyard meme.

Frances McDermand and William Macy are so perfect in their roles (Marge Gunderson and Jerry Lundegard) that it is difficult to see any other actors in the roles, in "Fargo" season one the needle is threaded to perfection. There is a bit in "West Wing" where Donna Moss (Janel Maloney) is sent to a state party conference in North Dakota where the principal item on the agenda is the removal of North from the state's name. Marge and Jerry are Minnesota nice. Their polite affability masks aspects of their character. Marge is a superior police investigator and Jerry is a sociopath.

Roger Deakins' cinematography is compelling. The open vistas have the ability to conceal the nasty action. The characters defy conventional interpretations. When Marge interviews the two young prostitutes, they seem totally wholesome. The Coen Brothers enjoy using conventions to reveal truths.

I watch this film smiling despite the excessive and horrible nature of some of the crimes. Joel and Ethan have created a parallel universe where their films are the reality. There is one limitation in their vision; the films are generally not emotionally involving. I think that this is one of the reasons why "No Country for Old Men" is my favorite Coen Brothers film. I care about the Tommy Lee Jones character. I don't want Javier Bardem's character to define reality. Is everything a coin toss? Don't we have the ability to affect our life? I've written before abut the importance of questions to my filmic enjoyment.

I have avoided laying out the plot. I'm sure that virtually all of you have seen the film, but if it's been a few years since your last viewing, I don't want to pre-empt your experience. This is a film which holds up to repeated viewings. This is a true classic.

Reaction Score
"Fahrenheit 451"-Francois Truffaut-1966

This is of course one of Bradbury's most famous works. It was Truffaut's first color film and his only English film. Truffaut wasn't interested in SciFi,but he spent 6 years of his life bringing this work to the screen. There have been numerous reported remakes, but none have gotten off the. SciFi fans are eagerly awaiting the re-make of "Dune" and a first time effort to make Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Classic SciFi is not the cultural force it once was. Comic books and graphic novels have replaced novels as sources for films.

The title refers to the temperature of burning paper. Bradbury found that there was no available number. He called a fire chief who performed an experiment recording the ignition temperature. In real life the ignition temperature is affected by the age and type of paper.
In this twisted future firemen burn books rather than putting out fires. The issue of censorship is alive and well in our contemporary society.

Truffaut knew little English. He wrote the script with Jean Louis Richard who knew little English. The original script was in French. David Rudkin and Helen Scott wrote the English version uncredited. Bernard Herman wrote the score; he and Hitchcock parted ways. Neither Oscar Werner nor Julie Christie were first choices. This was a very unhappy set. Truffaut said that if he hadn't spent six years developing this project, he would have just left. He and Werner despised each other. Christie had a mental breakdown according to Truffaut.

The film did get made cudos to Lewis Allen the producer. It didn't achieve critical or popular success. 50+ years later this film is worth a look. Julie Christie's performance in the dual roles of Linda (Montag"s wife) and Clarisse the book activist is excellent. Werner as Montag is more problematic. The change in his beliefs is too abrupt to be credible. The Montag who joins the book people and becomes a book is totally at odds with the type of person who would excel as a fireman. The counter argument references the banality of evil. Good people say/do nothing.

This is worth viewing, but it could have been so much better.

Reaction Score
"Fahrenheit 451"-Francois Truffaut-1966

This is of course one of Bradbury's most famous works. It was Truffaut's first color film and his only English film. Truffaut wasn't interested in SciFi,but he spent 6 years of his life bringing this work to the screen. There have been numerous reported remakes, but none have gotten off the. SciFi fans are eagerly awaiting the re-make of "Dune" and a first time effort to make Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Classic SciFi is not the cultural force it once was. Comic books and graphic novels have replaced novels as sources for films.

The title refers to the temperature of burning paper. Bradbury found that there was no available number. He called a fire chief who performed an experiment recording the ignition temperature. In real life the ignition temperature is affected by the age and type of paper.
In this twisted future firemen burn books rather than putting out fires. The issue of censorship is alive and well in our contemporary society.

Truffaut knew little English. He wrote the script with Jean Louis Richard who knew little English. The original script was in French. David Rudkin and Helen Scott wrote the English version uncredited. Bernard Herman wrote the score; he and Hitchcock parted ways. Neither Oscar Werner nor Julie Christie were first choices. This was a very unhappy set. Truffaut said that if he hadn't spent six years developing this project, he would have just left. He and Werner despised each other. Christie had a mental breakdown according to Truffaut.

The film did get made cudos to Lewis Allen the producer. It didn't achieve critical or popular success. 50+ years later this film is worth a look. Julie Christie's performance in the dual roles of Linda (Montag"s wife) and Clarisse the book activist is excellent. Werner as Montag is more problematic. The change in his beliefs is too abrupt to be credible. The Montag who joins the book people and becomes a book is totally at odds with the type of person who would excel as a fireman. The counter argument references the banality of evil. Good people say/do nothing.

This is worth viewing, but it could have been so much better.

Always good to see these reviews from you.

Reaction Score
"Roma, Citta Operta"-Roberto Rossellini-1945

This is an amazing film. It is amazing first in that they actually made it. I have mentioned the difficulties that American film makers endured during WWII. They at least had film stock. Rossellini began with no stock. Some sources report that an American in the Signal Corps, Rod Geiger, helped Rossellini obtain film stock. We know that two basic types of stock were used. Leica was low quality used to make home movies for American servicemen in Italy. There was higher quality stock used to make newsreels. Tag ends were retrieved and spliced together. Cina Citta was unavailable, so everything had to be shot on site. Some critics have belabored the apparent continuity errors, poor lighting, and the mix of professionals and amateurs. The concept and early work on the screenplay began under Nazi occupation;filming began before the end of the war in Europe. BTW the original print was re-discovered in 2004. Criterion performed a minor miracle in their re-issue.

This is the first film in Rossellini's trilogy ( Paisan and Germany Year Zero are the others) about WWII. It is considered the first film of the Italian neo-realist school. Some of Rossellini's contemporaries objected to his use of professionals in the cast. They hadn't participated in the struggle against the fascists. There was an Italian film industry during WWII; it was supervised by Mussollini"s son. Free streaming is available on YouTube.

After very limited credits a disclaimer appears on the screen saying that this is fiction and that the resemblance to real life is purely coincidental. Actually the films principal characters were based on real persons. Rome became an open city after the fall of the Fascist government on August 14, 1943. The German's took over the city. There was a well developed underground opposing the Nazis non-violently and violently. The film focuses on individuals in the resistance. Aldo Fabrisi plays Dom Pietro Pelligrini, a priest involved in the resistance and Anna Magnani who plays Pina a women with a young son who is the intended of Francesco an active member of the resistance, Georgio Manfredi, a communist resistance leader, shows up in Pina's building looking for Francesco. Georgio is on the run from the Nazis. From this point on these four principals are doomed. Pina is shot running after the truck carrying Francesco away. That scene is so memorable that it was reproduced on an Italian stamp marking the 50th anniversary of the war. Manfredi is tortured for 16 minutes on film. Dom Pietro is shot in the back of the head by a Nazi officer.

I liked the performances of Fabrisi and Magnani. But for me the real wonder was being thrown into the chaos of the Occupation. Life is messy. There are elements of the film which diverge from the central focus. Dom Pietro forges papers to help an Austrian soldier desert.
There is a side bar about a woman who witnesses Manfredi assassinate a Nazi. The occupation had direct consequences for all Romans..
There are some moments of humor as when a boy sneaks home after curfew. His father who was worried about the worst, his son's death, threatens to kill him. The humanity of the characters comes through. The German soldiers were played by German POWs.

This is a must see film.

Reaction Score
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"-Milos Forman-1975

I believe that Forman is underrated as a director. In addition to this classic, he directed "Amadeus," "Hair," "Ragtime,"and the underrated "Goya's Ghosts." He only has 21 directing credits in a career of almost 40 years. He started in what is now the Czech Republic. Both his parents died in Nazi death camps. This film had a long development career. Kirk Douglas bought the rights to Kesey's novel. He sent a copy to Forman. The government confiscated it. This created problems; Mike Douglas put things right when he contacted Forman in the 70's. How do you make a film set in a mental institution? To Forman it was obvious that you needed to film in a mental institution, the Oregon State Hospital. Casting was difficult particularly for three roles: Nurse Ratched, McMurphy, and Chief. Some patients served as extras, but the supporting cast was filled with quality performers including: Danny DeVito, Brad Dourif, Christopher LLoyd, and Vincent Schiavelli.

Although the great Haskell Wexler is credited, he left almost before shooting started, Bill Butler did excellent work. Paul Sybert's production design is excellent. The script by Larry Haubert and Bo Goldman won the Oscar. Kesey hated it because it diverged se much from the book. In the book Chief is the narrator. Kesey sued the film production company.

The film opens with the arrival of R.P. McMurphy to the hospital. He feigned mental illness to get out of a minor prison sentence. He is a con man and a rascal. He begins with cheating his fellow patients. He changes his views and behavior quickly. He cares about his fellow patients and he wants then to stand up for their rights. He is drawn to Babit and Chief. Chief is a statuesque Native American who feigns being deaf and dumb. Babit is a young man who suffers from debilitating shyness manifesting in a stutter. Mac organizes th patients to protest their treatment. He also organizes an illegal outing to go fishing, and then a party with professional women and alcohol all totally prohibited.

Mac's adversary is Nurse Ratched, the charge nurse who runs the ward. The struggle ends in Billy's death after Ratched manipulates him. Mac then physically attacks Ratched. This leads to a lobotomy. Chief smothers him and then he escapes to Canada. Certain critics and social observers use the film as an example of an anti-establishment statement. I find this a reach; Mac is an individual who isvery self-centered at the beginning of the film. He changes, but his efforts fail. The establishment wins. Nurse Ratched is also an individual. Her
behavior is based on maintaining her position and control,

This is one of Nicholson's iconic roles. A few of the films just to jump start your memory: "Chinatown", "Terms of Endearment," "The Shining," "A Few Good Men," and "Prizzi's Honor." Nicholson is typically the outsider; he is a rule breaker; he is charismatic.

This is one of those films which successfully creates not only a believable world, but one which involves the viewer. We care about what we see on the screen. This won the big five Oscars: picture, director, actor, actress, and screenplay. The film is over 45 years old, "But age has not withered it,nor custom staled its infinite variety..." Yes, you can and should re-watch this classic,

Reaction Score
Ragtime-Milos Forman-1981

Dino de Laurentis recruited Forman for this film. Forman gathered together many of his behind the screen team to make the film. E.L. Doctorow was a very prominent novelist best known for historical fiction which mixed historical characters with fictional ones. "Ragtime" has multiple stories. Forman wanted to work with him, but Doctorow wanted to cover all the stories. He hoped for a mini-series, Forman wanted to make a movie. ghtght

I like this film much more than most critics and the IMDb responders. This is a beautiful film with some top flight performances. However, the sumof the parts is greater than the whole. I failed to find a free streaming option. If your library has a copy, the extras are excellent.

For many actors including Samuel Jackson, Jeff Daniels, Elisabeth Montgomery this was there first film. Harold Rollins made the most of his role as Coalhouse Walker a ragtime pianist who worked with a popular band. Walker had a child with Sarah (Deborah Allen), but he l
leaves her because he is without steady employment. When he gains full time employment with a popular band; he seeks out Sarah and his child.

Sarah and her son were taken in by a wealthy white couple ( Mother -Mary Steenbergen and Father-James Olson). Walker's manners and behaviors initially put off the family because he is self confident and well spoken. He also pushes himself forward; although he is polite; he is not deferential. Rollins portrayal is nuanced, but early on there are signs that his pride makes him his own worst enemy. He has prospered enough to buy one of the first Model T's. He drive out from the city to New Rochelle. His route takes him past a volunteer fire house. The firemen are Irish American and very racist. They block the road. Coalhouse leaves to get help from the police. He returns with a sergeant (Jeff Daniels). The car is no longer in front of the fire station, The fireman have dirtied it including putting horse manure on the seats. The policeman tries to convince Coalhouse to drive away, but his pride makes him demand the firemen clean his car. The firemen claim that he was blocking the road and preventing the fire engine being able to answer a call. The policeman knows if this goes to court that Coalhouse will lose. He can't ignore the claim and is forced to arrest Coalhouse. He is a true tragic hero in the Greek tradition ;his fatal flaw is his pride. This prevents his marriage to Sarah; she dies trying to bring his case to the highest authority. Coalhouse tries valiantly to gain legal redress; when this fails he turns to seeking "Justice" through violence.

Walker recruits a gang and engages in attacks on fire stations which result in several deaths. He leaves his job and goes into hiding. The brother-in-law (Brad Dourif) designs fireworks and says he will make explosives for Walker. The gang seizes the J.P. Morgan library. Coalhouse makes two demands: 1) his car is returned in pristine condition, and 2) that the firehouse captain, Willie Conklin (Kenneth McMillian) be turned over to him for his justice.

The film begins with newsreels showing famous figures like Harry Houdini. We see Walker playing the piano to accompany the news reel.
There is one story in the newsreel which connects several strands of the story. Stanford White, a prominent architect and serial abuser of young women, is publicly executed by Henry Thaw (Robert Tory). Thaw a Pittsburg millionaire who was emotionally disturbed,was married to Evelyn Nesbit who was one of White's victims. Evelyn Nesbit is used as a bridge to other stories. The brother-in-law becomes romantically involved with her. Nesbit meets a street corner silhouette artist who later becomes a movie director (Mandy Patinkin). He becomes involved with the wife.

Probably the most remarkable piece of casting was convincing James Cagney to play Rhinelander Waldo, the commissioner of police. Waldo is a real character, but he was 32. Cagney hadn't made a film since "One, Two, Three" twenty years before. He was 80, in constant pain,and he couldn't walk. The film needed a big name to sell in Europe. I love Cagney, and this is a fitting way to close a great career. Of course the Coalhouse Walker story is fiction, but the settings are period accurate as are the costumes.

This film has an almost endless series of good stories. Doctorow hated everything but the first 10 minutes. It of course was a rare prestige film with major roles for black actors. How often does the main protagonist become a terrorist? I'm not sure why I fail to give this film my highest rating. Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars, not 4. His review is a little confused as to the why. Very highly recommended. Making this film was a huge challenge; Forman in his comments 15 years ago, says the film wouldn't be made today. Forman was drawn to the Coalhouse story because of his experiences under the Nazis and Communists in Czechoslovakia. People just didn't stand up for their rights. The score by Randy Newman captures the emerging popular music of the early 20th century. Scott Joplin is only the most famous composer; the music crossed over the oceans and even into classical music. Don't encourage me further.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Ragtime-Milos Forman-1981

Dino de Laurentis recruited Forman for this film. Forman gathered together many of his behind the screen team to make the film. E.L. Doctorow was a very prominent novelist best known for historical fiction which mixed historical characters with fictional ones. "Ragtime" has multiple stories. Forman wanted to work with him, but Doctorow wanted to cover all the stories. He hoped for a mini-series, Forman wanted to make a movie. ghtght

I like this film much more than most critics and the IMDb responders. This is a beautiful film with some top flight performances. However, the sumof the parts is greater than the whole. I failed to find a free streaming option. If your library has a copy, the extras are excellent.

For many actors including Samuel Jackson, Jeff Daniels, Elisabeth Montgomery this was there first film. Harold Rollins made the most of his role as Coalhouse Walker a ragtime pianist who worked with a popular band. Walker had a child with Sarah (Deborah Allen), but he l
leaves her because he is without steady employment. When he gains full time employment with a popular band; he seeks out Sarah and his child.

Sarah and her son were taken in by a wealthy white couple ( Mother -Mary Steenbergen and Father-James Olson). Walker's manners and behaviors initially put off the family because he is self confident and well spoken. He also pushes himself forward; although he is polite; he is not deferential. Rollins portrayal is nuanced, but early on there are signs that his pride makes him his own worst enemy. He has prospered enough to buy one of the first Model T's. He drive out from the city to New Rochelle. His route takes him past a volunteer fire house. The firemen are Irish American and very racist. They block the road. Coalhouse leaves to get help from the police. He returns with a sergeant (Jeff Daniels). The car is no longer in front of the fire station, The fireman have dirtied it including putting horse manure on the seats. The policeman tries to convince Coalhouse to drive away, but his pride makes him demand the firemen clean his car. The firemen claim that he was blocking the road and preventing the fire engine being able to answer a call. The policeman knows if this goes to court that Coalhouse will lose. He can't ignore the claim and is forced to arrest Coalhouse. He is a true tragic hero in the Greek tradition ;his fatal flaw is his pride. This prevents his marriage to Sarah; she dies trying to bring his case to the highest authority. Coalhouse tries valiantly to gain legal redress; when this fails he turns to seeking "Justice" through violence.

Walker recruits a gang and engages in attacks on fire stations which result in several deaths. He leaves his job and goes into hiding. The brother-in-law (Brad Dourif) designs fireworks and says he will make explosives for Walker. The gang seizes the J.P. Morgan library. Coalhouse makes two demands: 1) his car is returned in pristine condition, and 2) that the firehouse captain, Willie Conklin (Kenneth McMillian) be turned over to him for his justice.

The film begins with newsreels showing famous figures like Harry Houdini. We see Walker playing the piano to accompany the news reel.
There is one story in the newsreel which connects several strands of the story. Stanford White, a prominent architect and serial abuser of young women, is publicly executed by Henry Thaw (Robert Tory). Thaw a Pittsburg millionaire who was emotionally disturbed,was married to Evelyn Nesbit who was one of White's victims. Evelyn Nesbit is used as a bridge to other stories. The brother-in-law becomes romantically involved with her. Nesbit meets a street corner silhouette artist who later becomes a movie director (Mandy Patinkin). He becomes involved with the wife.

Probably the most remarkable piece of casting was convincing James Cagney to play Rhinelander Waldo, the commissioner of police. Waldo is a real character, but he was 32. Cagney hadn't made a film since "One, Two, Three" twenty years before. He was 80, in constant pain,and he couldn't walk. The film needed a big name to sell in Europe. I love Cagney, and this is a fitting way to close a great career. Of course the Coalhouse Walker story is fiction, but the settings are period accurate as are the costumes.

This film has an almost endless series of good stories. Doctorow hated everything but the first 10 minutes. It of course was a rare prestige film with major roles for black actors. How often does the main protagonist become a terrorist? I'm not sure why I fail to give this film my highest rating. Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars, not 4. His review is a little confused as to the why. Very highly recommended. Making this film was a huge challenge; Forman in his comments 15 years ago, says the film wouldn't be made today. Forman was drawn to the Coalhouse story because of his experiences under the Nazis and Communists in Czechoslovakia. People just didn't stand up for their rights. The score by Randy Newman captures the emerging popular music of the early 20th century. Scott Joplin is only the most famous composer; the music crossed over the oceans and even into classical music. Don't encourage me further.
'although he is polite; he is not deferential.'
man, u are good, like capital G good. that's sum good mulch right thar.
shakespeare got nuthin on u.
as far as the tunes, well, great gramms has the family victrola down in the basement. (grammaphone? whatever, since columbia, of Bridgeport, made them, and everybody had one- how else would they learn the words to 'we don't want the bacon, we don't want the bacon, what we want is a piece of the rhine! we'll crown bill the kaiser with a bottle of budweiser, we'll have a wonderful time!')
sumtimes, we go down there, and spin a few of those ragtime beats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'although he is polite; he is not deferential.'
man, u are good, like capital G good. that's sum good mulch right thar.
shakespeare got nuthin on u.
as far as the tunes, well, great gramms has the family victrola down in the basement. (grammaphone? whatever, since columbia, of Bridgeport, made them, and everybody had one- how else would they learn the words to 'we don't want the bacon, we don't want the bacon, what we want is a piece of the rhine! we'll crown bill the kaiser with a bottle of budweiser, we'll have a wonderful time!')
sumtimes, we go down there, and spin a few of those ragtime beats.
We forget some ofour wonderful history. I think I will search You Tube for some Rag Time.

Reaction Score
Just watched a performance of Scott Joplin's opera "Treemonisha" by the Houston Grand Opera on YouTube. It is excellent. BTW there is anther version available with only sound. I had no idea thathe wrote an opera. I thought "Porgy and Bess" was the first American opera. I saw that one live. So much to learn and enjoy

Reaction Score
"Diva"-Jean Jaques Beineix-1981

I was unable to find a free streaming option. You might want to try YouTube which does offer a variety of short clips. Or you can go to IMDb and watch the Siskel and Ebert show which the program where this film is reviewed. This film is 40 years old, but it is still fresh.

Let me mention two aspects of this film which brings a highly charged action adventure story with remarkable visuals with a contemplation of the role of art in society. I particularly liked the which is home to Jules,the protagonist, a young Parisian mailman who makes deliveries on a motorbike. The entrance is through a cache of wrecked cars including a Rolls Royce. The interior is dominated by a music collection and recording equipment. Visually there multiple giant pop art pictures many depicting scenes from movies. These are in brilliant colors.
This is a total wow for me. The single most famous sequence in the film is a chase through the Paris metro. Jules is on his motorbike. he is pursued by a policeman on the order ofthe criminal Homicide Commander of Paris. This was not as satisfying as my first viewing.

The cinematography is brilliant. It is inventive, but I never had the feeling that Rousselot was showing off. There is a sequence where the man of mystery and magic, Sergi, is preparing a dish. He takes a baguette and slits it end to end. Then with commentary he butters the two halves. Finally he adds caviar. Then there is Sergi's jigsaw puzzle which hasmany thousands of pieces.

The music is tantilizing, Jules secretly records a diva, Cynthia Hawkins (Whilimwnia Fernandez) in concert. She has refused to allow any recordings of her voice. Vladimir Cosma takes a motif from a aria from an obscure opera,"Le Wally", this is used whenever the diva and the mailman come together. Cosma uses strange instruments and unusual instrumental and vocal pairings. It is underneath the action; it isn't showy; it provides an emotional foundation for the story.

Jules has this secret recording which is coveted by unscrupulous Taiwanese. He is present where a woman is murdered. She drops a cassette tape into one of the mail pouches on his scooter. This tape describes how this Homicide Commander has been the boss of a human sex trafficking ring in Paris. So we have two tapes wanted by two different groups of criminals. Jules meets Sergi when a young Vietnamese woman who lives with Sergi borrows the diva tape.

In 2007 the film was re-issued successfully. A DVD came out in 2008 which is excellent both visually and sonically. The extras are top drawer. In 2018 Kino Lorber issued another version. This is proof that there is a market of film geeks for this work. I hadn't watched this film in several years. It was better than I remembered.

Housekeeping: For the time being I won't provide an index. The 4th year of this whatever started today. I have not been as regular as I want to be with my posts. I will try to do better. I believe that this is one of the best films of the '80's.

Reaction Score
Z,
Have you written on "The Thin Red Line"?
I could not find it in any of the tables of contents.

Reaction Score
I haven't. I have a long waiting list; Thin Red Line is on it. Next are two documentaries "Letters from Vietnam" and "These Amazing Shadows." This second film is about the National Film Registry. Both are big asks for Yarders.

Reaction Score
"Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam"-Bill Coutoure-1987

The New York City Vietnam Veterans Memorial Committee commissioned Bernard Edelman to write a book u sing letters home from U.S personal serving in Vietnam. The book has over 200 letters. It was published in 1985. Bill Coutoure made a film using some of the letters (40+). He began by looking at over 900 hours of film in the NBC archive covering 1967 through 1969.This was supplemented by filmsfrom the DOD and private films from soldiers. He was often able to match letters to film of soldier in question. He wrote the script with Richard Dewhurst. He was able to get the services of the greatest collection of actors in a single film to read the letters. He was able to obtain clearance for a remarkable list of songs from the period.

The movie begins with a group of GIs surfing with The Beach Boys as background music. The film ends before the Vietnam Memorial with "Born in the U.S.A." playing. The letters and the accompanying film pull no punches; this is as close asone can get to reality without actual being there. I am old enough to have lived through the period. I went for a draft physical,but I was 4F because I am blind in one eye.

Despite winning best documentary at Sundance, the film wasn't able to find a distributor. HBO released it on TV; it won two Emmys. Google the title and you will find numerous references: the Siskel and Ebert review, the entire script, and most importantly the film divided into two parts on Daily Motion streaming for free..

In the background periodically we can see the number of troops in country the death toll, and the number of wounded. "Choose any film as the best movie ever made about Vietnam, and this is the other half of the double feature"; wrote Roger Ebert. The film concludes with a letter from a mother to her dead son. "They tell me that the letters I write to you and leave here at the Memorial are waking up others to the fact that there is still much pain left after all these years from the Vietnam war." This is a magnificent achievement. This should be in the National Film registry. This is wonderfully crafted and very moving. My highest recommendation,

Reaction Score
Thoughts and plans

I am planning to resume regular posting. I had a tough year, and hopefully I will get back to some sort of normality. Today I am going to return to "Casablanca" for some musings. I watched it twice yesterday' once with a commentary by Roger Ebert and once just the film. There are a few films that I can re-watch every year. Obviously "Casablanca" is one of them. You may have a song or two that pops up in your head seemingly out of nowhere. I'm not sure how this type of memory works, but just now "La Vie en Rose" popped up in my head.
That is the most famous song of Edith Piaf. "Casablanca" pops up frequently. "Play it Sam; play "As Time Goes By." Not play it again, Sam.

Since I am a film nerd, I have some tidbits about my favorite film which I'm going to share. In the scene where Rick is at the train station waiting for Ilsa, Sam brings him a letter from Ilsa. It is pouring rain. The rain washes away the ink. This is obviously tears. Ebert states that these are Ilsa's tears. I disagree. Ilsa's tears would appear on the letter itself. I think the tears are Rick's; men can't cry. The rain allows us to see Rick's feelings which he can't really express. He bottles up his feelings; they explode when Ilsa appears at Rick's. There is a major continuity error in this scene. It is pouring, the raincoat is soaked, but magically it is dry when he boards the train,

I could go on almost indefinitely, but tell me about your favorites, your nuggets that others miss. Don't forget your songs. We love films because they can take us places we couldn't go on our own. I can't remember the first occasion I saw "Casablanca." Certain films and songs touch us deeply; just when we think we can't be moved, startled, almost shocked; we find a new film which reaches us in a primal way. The most recent for me is "Arrival." I don't watch movies expecting or even hoping for such a revelation. I watch for enjoyment. Sometimes when I go back to re-watch a favorite; I am disappointed. "The Court Jester" is the most recent example.

So share with me, and next up is "Man on the Moon." I have commented on several Forman films recently, but I had no idea that he directed this film. Happy New Year. Watch many movies.

Reaction Score
"The Man on the Moon"-Milos Forman-1999

Forman was one of the directors of the Czech New Wave. He is the only one who achieved major success in America. With Jim Carey in the starring role as Andy Kaufman'; this should have been a major box office hit. The music was composed by REM. The title song came from on of there albums. They were Kaufman fans as was Forman. For those not familiar with Kaufman; think Sasha Baron Cohen. You can also visit YouTube which has a large collection of videos. Try 123Movies for free streaming.

The film opens with Andy Kaufman costumed and acting as Latka from "Taxi." He is discussing his movie. He didn't like it, so he cut it. Now all that remains is the closing credits, The music is from a 45 single played on a tiny old turntable. The music ends several times before the credits finish. Latka restarts the record; the second time in exasperation he scratches like a DJ. The credits end and the screen goes black. About 10 seconds later, Kaufman appears talking as himself. Since we didn't leave; he'll show us the real film which begins in Long Island many years ago. Kaufman starts the projector, and we see his father's old car.

Kaufman demanded certain things from the audience when he did stand-up, He had a character, Tony Clifton, who was an obnoxious lounge singer, comic. He demanded that Clifton appear on "Taxi." He created an inhabited other characters like the inter gender wrestling champion. He wrestled women in arenas particularly in Memphis. He had a scenario with real pro wrestler Jerry Lester. Lester who smack him around in the ring, and he even appeared on talk shows with Andy, staying in character all the time. When Kaufman was in one of his roles, he stayed in character,

Andy Kaufman was quite successful for a while, but towards the end of his life; he was out of favor and money. He died from an unusual type of lung cancer. He had some difficulty separating his on stage personas from his real self. When he told people about his cancer; most of them thought he was joking. To a certain part of the audience he was a comedy god. Certain people are never satisfied with adaptations of books. Martin Freeman is only one of many people who detested Jim Carey's performance. On the other hand many people close to Kaufman believed that Carey became Kaufman. He moved and spoke like Kaufman in ways not exhibited in public in his acts. Personally, I am not a fan of Carey or Kaufman. This is an excellent under-rated film. It is episodic and chaotic, but so was his life.

Forman worked to metiulously re-create settings like the Taxi set and the David Letterman studio. The pace is quick. The actors like Danny DeVito, Courtney Love, and Paul Giamatti are uniformly first rate. I enjoyed this film; the DVD extras are excellent. This is more than worth a look. Next "Heaven Can Wait" the Lubitsch version.

Reaction Score
"Heaven Can Wait"-Ernest Lubirtch-1949

This is one of Lubitsch's last films, and his first film in color. We have discussed a little about how many Europeans migrated to the US after if became the center of the world film industry after WW I. Economics was more of a motivation even for Jews like Lubitsch than politics. He was adept at crafting both musicals and comedies. He developed a friendship and working relationship with Samson Raphaelson who scripted many of his films, They worked together from an idea Lubitsch took from obscure often Hungarian plays, They bounced ideas off each other Three bad ideas and then one good one as Raphaelson put it. When they both agreed; it became part of the script.

The film opens brilliantly; the recently deceased Harry Von Cleve (Don Ameche) arrives at the entrance of Hell. It is very stylized and modern. It evokes the interior of a modern skyscraper, Von Cleve tells His Excellency (the impressive Laird Cregar)) that he believes he belongs below. Harry has been a ladies man all his life, and he has not been faithful to the great love of his life, Martha (Gene Tierney).

Harry tells his story to His Excellency. It turns out that the women in his life have manipulated him rather than him being the real Don Juan.
When Harry was nine he was attracted to Mary. He gave her a beetle in a box. She conned him out his second beetle while maintaining her moral superiority. She asserted that she wasn't the kind of girl who would take a boy's last beetle. Of course that is exactly what she did. Harry saw himself as the seducer, but his women had the upper hand.

Lubitsch didn't want Ameche for the lead, but this is a superior performance. He is the suave seducer, impeccably dressed, verbally facile, sophisticated, good looking with plenty of charm, but he is innocent. This part of his charm. Ameche worked for more tan 30 years after this film, but he considered this his best work.

Gene Tierney was shocked at how Lubitsch treated her. After one awful five hour session; she berated him. Lubitsch replied that he was paid to yell at her. Tierney replied that she was paid to be yelled at but not enough. Lubitsch laughed, and the tension was ended. He was an icon to many; Billy Wilder had how would Lubitsch do it on his office door.

The character actors : Charles Coburn, Eugene Pallette, and Margert Main are all excellent. Max Steiner's score has subtlety like his use of music from "The Merry Widow." I smile every time I picture Laird Cregar as the Devil. The end of the picture where his excellency advises Harry to try upstairs is Lubitsch at his best. Free streaming on You Tube. This is a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"-John Houston-1948

This is a true classic. It won Oscars, made Ebert's Great Movies List, is continually ranked among the top 100 American films of all time. Iy is also a film which is still surrounded in mystery. John Houston adapted the film from a novel by B. Traven. The first mystery is who was B, Traven. That he used B, Traven as a nom de plume is about the only point of agreement. Did he work for $500 dollars a week on the film?
Was the first name of his pseudonym Bruno? Was he a German anarchist publisher who emigrated to Mexico? There are no clear answers almost 75 years after this film was made. Why did a film which drew universal critical praise not become a box office monster? Why did it take Houston 5 months to film? Why was the marketing so poor?

Hal Wallis was unhappy, but Houston often made him unhappy. This was one of the first films shot on location outside the U.S. Humphrey Bogart was the star, but the best role was that of Howard(Walter Houston) the old prospector. He directed three of Bogart's best films: "Treasure", "The African Queen", and "The Maltese Falcon." Houston seemed to cherish off beat locations with terrible conditions.

The film's most famous line is misquoted almost as often as Play it, Sam..." "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges, I don't have to show you any stinking badges." Alfonso Bedoya plays Gold Hat the bandit who won't go away. There is a lot of Spanish dialogue which wasn't translated. Walter Houston's character knows Spanish, Houston didn't know Spanish. He memorized his Spanish lines. The film is set in 1925; we know this because we see a poster for the lottery with the date The lottery plays an important part in the film.

to be continued

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom