OT: - Fiction | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Fiction

Reaction Score
How to Read “Infinite Jest”

I think everyone should read his short stories. They're astounding.

Pale king and infinite jest are too much for your average reader.

Different book, same truths. I have read everything he's written. The guy had something figured out the rest of us didn't.

The first sentence suggests getting a hard cover copy. What a joke. Can't imagine reading Infinite Jest without a Kindle to navigate the footnotes. Does DFW expect me to work for my entertainment or something?

Reaction Score
The first sentence suggests getting a hard cover copy. What a joke. Can't imagine reading Infinite Jest without a Kindle to navigate the footnotes. Does DFW expect me to work for my entertainment or something?

I would never get a kindle version on principle.

Just use two bookmarks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I did it with the old soft cover. In sweltering summer heat no less. Nightmare.

Yes, I' complaining about the physical difficulty of reading a freakin book. 1st world problem.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My Spanish reading ability is El Mundo. I have a wide vocabulary and can make it comfortably through most things, but literary Spanish is a bit slow for me still. I want to work up to the texts with some lighter fare first. That said, I read Love in the Time of Cholera and really wasn't impressed, so I might no otherwise have taken up Cien Años de Soledad when I worked myself up to more difficult reading, and now I'm inclined to, so thank you.

Check out Shadow of the Wind in Spanish. Not overly difficult prose, but very beautifully crafted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom