FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 6 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

Reaction Score
USA wins 121-59. Stewie was really good, as usual: 15/7/2/1. Plum had a big second half and led the team with 20 points. She was also a phenomenal +55. Seven players in double-figures, after eight did that last night. Jewell did not suit up.

Canada got the best draw, the worst team left in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Shhhh, don't jinx it for us north of the border!
Joey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
However, they will meet the USA before the finals which is not really good. The Assies get to play China if the favorites win out.

Reaction Score
However, they will meet the USA before the finals which is not really good. The Assies get to play China if the favorites win out.
Even in this scenario, it's gravy for Canada. They weren't expected to get out of the pool and making it to the medal round would be a huge accomplishment. Previous teams were expected to do the same and weren't able to get past the quarterfinals. Hopefully they'll be firing on all cylinders when they face Puerto Rico Thursday.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
US leads Serbia 50-33 at the half. It's been a lot more competitive than that score margin would indicate.

Serbia really brought the intensity and scored well in the 1st quarter. And they're testing the limits of the referees' tolerance, totaling 13 fouls (5 players with 2 fouls each). US is 16/18 from the FT line, compared to Serbia's 3/3.

Alyssa Thomas! What more can be said. Every time something good happens, she seems to be involved in it. At halftime she has 13 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals.

Kahleah Copper had to leave the game with an injury (groin?) and appears unlikely to return.

Stewie struggling so far, and had to take a seat after picking up her 2nd foul.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed w/ @Plebe , AT has been the best player for the US so far tonight and nobody else is even close.
Wilson has been very impressive but AT is a force of nature. Like those wild horses roaming free

Shout out to Yvonne Anderson who has been the best player on Serbia and handling the pressure defense very well.

Reaction Score
Found a stream to catch the game. Sounds like the crew commentating the Canadian games are on.

Question - Have there been mics allowed during USA time outs during the tournament? I know they've been allowed during Canada's games. Guessing there was a glitch???

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm assuming Gray is just resting? Barely played in the 2nd half. Copper and Laney both got injured. Ionescu finally getting some PT and looks decent.

Plebe

Reaction Score
We lost one player to injury and had two others who required medical attention. I commend Serbia for their fight but they seemed to take the "fight" concept a bit literally.

It made for a scrappy, scrummy, ugly game. I kept looking over to their sideline half-expecting to see coach Abe with her trademark glowering look.

Reeve wisely pulled AT, Stewie and A'ja early in 4Q with a 30-point lead.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, 3 players were injured. I wonder if some will miss the next game or two.

The U.S. locked down defensively in Q3. The game was close for 15 minutes or so, but ended at 88-55. The U.S. trailed 4-0 and 11-7 early, their only deficits of the tourney.

Stewie had 2/8/3/1/1. That's a Kiah Stokes stat line.

Which players will make the all-tourney team? I think the easiest pick is Thomas. Stewie's lack of scoring tonight (1-7 shooting) may have hurt her. Wilson and Plum have nice ppg stats, but both missed 2 games.

On other teams, Guirantes and Gabby should get consideration, but likely only if their teams pull upset tonight.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Question - Have there been mics allowed during USA time outs during the tournament? I know they've been allowed during Canada's games. Guessing there was a glitch???
I can't remember hearing any mics from huddles, at least in the games I've seen.

Reaction Score
I can't remember hearing any mics from huddles, at least in the games I've seen.
The Canadian broadcasts have. FIBA usually does during their youth events too from what I've watched. Assumed it was the case for all the games.

Reaction Score
China beat France 85-71 knocking out the bronze Olympic medalist.

Canada beat Puerto Rico 79-60. Was only able to stay up for half, but it looks like they're slowly increasing Kia's minutes. We'll see what happens when they play the US. Regardless, couldn't be happier. The team is finally playing for a medal at this level for the first time in almost 40 years!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
China beat France 85-71 knocking out the bronze Olympic medalist.

Canada beat Puerto Rico 79-60. Was only able to stay up for half, but it looks like they're slowly increasing Kia's minutes. We'll see what happens when they play the US. Regardless, couldn't be happier. The team is finally playing for a medal at this level for the first time in almost 40 years!
You made it! Collective whoosh north of the border. Ace had her best game of the tourney in the spots I watched.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both Gabby and Kia had excellent games. France played really competitively but just too much talent on China as they pulled away in Q4. Canada just stifled PR and Kia Nurse 3-3 from 3 early set the right tone. They are definitely trying to stretch her out since she may have to go 30+ against the US

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Through 6 games, Gabby was 3rd with 95 points and 6th with 15.8 ppg. A really strong tourney for her, but it's over, as China was too good/big.

Reaction Score
You made it! Collective whoosh north of the border. Ace had her best game of the tourney in the spots I watched.

I am so happy for her especially for all the years, injuries and previous tournaments where they were so close. She's been committed to Canada Basketball at a young age and stayed the course. Deserves the opportunity to get a medal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Australia beat Belgium 86-69 in the other game.
Australian bigs dominated with Tolo, Lauren Jackson and Kayla George. Might put up a better fight than I thought with CN in the semifinals

Love Lauren Jackson being so effective and integrated into their team. Super big smiles.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The Australia-China semifinal will be lit. Australia has the home crowd but China has had plenty of fan support at their games too. Two quality teams and should be an exciting game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
O Canada! U.S. sprinted out to a 19-2 lead and up 27-7 thru Q1. Canada can't find the bucket, 2-17 so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom