Few words after my almost 40 yrs watching Huskies grows,prospers and what now ? Part II | The Boneyard

Few words after my almost 40 yrs watching Huskies grows,prospers and what now ? Part II

Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL
No matter how great and valuable a player is, her energy level is adversely proportionate to her playing time on court. I.e., the longer she plays the declining energy level will be as time go along. A chart can be drawn for "Energy level per person per ongoing play time". Let's say if we divided a normal game time of 40 minute into 4 time duration: 0-10 minute as A, 10-20 minute as B, 20-30 as C, and 30-40 as D. The energy level for a person in A will be higher than in B and gradually declining down for C and D.

My point is: In any game, if the match is very close, the most critical time zone is zone D. The team with HIGHER energy level in zone D has a better chance to win.
In general, if in each time zone we can have the collective Energy Level better than the opponent, that will be the ideal case. The most important time zone is zone D.
It seems to me, Geno knows about this but never really heeds it. If the "bench players" will never deem "ready" to put in the game, why recruited them in the first place? They must have some thingS to offer for the team. If not, the coach and the coaching staff didn't really do their job to put them in "effective" use ! !

I should stress here: I don't mean to DRASTICALLY change what geno's doing, just to put some thought to think about.

b) Liberal substitutions of the bench players* ; Liberal substitutions OUTSIDE OF THE SYSTEM ; Liberal use of TACTICS instead of STRATEGY. etc,etc,.....
* Bench players in here means those players deemed not qualified to put in the ROTATION.

To list the Liberal Substitutions in here is to think and execute OUTSIDE of Geno's proven successful SYSTEM. For instance, Use some bench players to INDUCE PERSONAL FOUL from opponent's key players.
Train some of the bench players to do the trick during practice!

Other example of liberal use is to deliberately execute the QUASI-PICK-UP GAME( 3x3 for instance) regardless of what position(G or F) she is usually assigned to or the substitution required the same position. Let the 5 players fight it out by their INSTINCT ! If the substitutions disrupt the SYSTEM, so be it, it's temporary anyway.

c) Offensive DEFENSE
A lesson from the defeat to tUSO today is their brilliant OFFENSIVE DEFENSE. I was rather expecting Geno would do the same thing against them in 2nd half or at least the 4rd Qt. Alas, Huskies didn't do that, not wholehearthedly anyway. Geno quite often prides UConn's defense. NOT today, tOSU handcuffed us by their OFFENSIVE DEFENSE.

Again, I don't mean to DRASTICALLY change what Geno's doing, just to put some thought to think about.

I honestly believe, with Geno's brilliant BB mind, he already knew long ago what my nothing-new thought here albeit NEVER heeds it but to steadfastly execute his SYSTEM.

I am DONE with NCAA T 2023. I don't care to watch the remaining games. I ONLY care to watch our beloved HUSKY LADIES play and win beautiful games ! ! !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL
No matter how great and valuable a player is, her energy level is adversely proportionate to her playing time on court. I.e., the longer she plays the declining energy level will be as time go along. A chart can be drawn for "Energy level per person per ongoing play time". Let's say if we divided a normal game time of 40 minute into 4 time duration: 0-10 minute as A, 10-20 minute as B, 20-30 as C, and 30-40 as D. The energy level for a person in A will be higher than in B and gradually declining down for C and D.

My point is: In any game, if the match is very close, the most critical time zone is zone D. The team with HIGHER energy level in zone D has a better chance to win.
In general, if in each time zone we can have the collective Energy Level better than the opponent, that will be the ideal case. The most important time zone is zone D.
It seems to me, Geno knows about this but never really heeds it. If the "bench players" will never deem "ready" to put in the game, why recruited them in the first place? They must have some thingS to offer for the team. If not, the coach and the coaching staff didn't really do their job to put them in "effective" use ! !

I should stress here: I don't mean to DRASTICALLY change what geno's doing, just to put some thought to think about.

b) Liberal substitutions of the bench players* ; Liberal substitutions OUTSIDE OF THE SYSTEM ; Liberal use of TACTICS instead of STRATEGY. etc,etc,.....
* Bench players in here means those players deemed not qualified to put in the ROTATION.

To list the Liberal Substitutions in here is to think and execute OUTSIDE of Geno's proven successful SYSTEM. For instance, Use some bench players to INDUCE PERSONAL FOUL from opponent's key players.

Other example of liberal use is to deliberately execute the QUASI-PICK-UP GAME( 3x3 for instance) regardless of what position(G or F) she is usually assigned to or the substitution required the same position. Let the 5 players fight it out by their INSTINCT ! If the substitutions disrupt the SYSTEM, so be it, it's temporary anyway.

c) Offensive DEFENSE
A lesson from the defeat to tUSO today is their brilliant OFFENSIVE DEFENSE. I was rather expecting Geno would do the same thing against them in 2nd half or at least the 4rd Qt. Alas, Huskies didn't do that, not wholehearthedly anyway. Geno quite often prides UConn's defense. NOT today, tOSU handcuffed us by their OFFENSIVE DEFENSE.

Again, I don't mean to DRASTICALLY change what Geno's doing, just to put some thought to think about.

I honestly believe, with Geno's brilliant BB mind, he already knew long ago what my nothing-new thought here albeit NEVER heeds it but to steadfastly execute his SYSTEM.

I am DONE with NCAA T 2023. I don't care to watch the remaining games. I ONLY care to watch our beloved HUSKY LADIES play and win beautiful games ! ! !
Liberally substitute with who? The kid with the concussions, the kid with back spasms, or an inexperienced freshman?

Reaction Score
Liberally substitute with who? The kid with the concussions, the kid with back spasms, or an inexperienced freshman?
Dear Nan,
It is because your so called "Inexperienced freshman" was not trained and practiced what I outlined those "little trick" such as to INDUCE opponents key player such as their high energy high scoring freshman into foul trouble ,etc.etc,. Its before March madness, you don't practice and trained the already ROTATIONAL QUALIFIED players ,you trained ANYBODY to CONTRIBUTE to the team. And you have to prepared your AMMUNITIONS, as many and as varied as you can get. Is your OFFENSIVE DEFENSE ready yet? Etc.,Etc... Praising for past greatness won't get you ever improving and competitive competition.

Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL

c) Offensive DEFENSE

I thought you said...a few words?

Reaction Score
Perhaps it goes back to recruiting?
There is a certain team out there that has two plus starting fives including one player who appeared ready to declare for UConn.
How were they able to do this?

Reaction Score
Appreciate the passion in Javafan's post. People on this board seem to fit neatly into one of two camps. Those who really dislike the "shortness" of Geno's bench and rotations. And those who take little to no issue with it. For what it's worth, I've always been in the latter camp.

I do wish he had subbed Lou out after she picked up her fourth foul in the 2018 national semi-final. But that's about the extent of it on this one for me. Not that there aren't other underlying issues that could and should be addressed.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dear Nan,
It is because your so called "Inexperienced freshman" was not trained and practiced what I outlined those "little trick" such as to INDUCE opponents key player such as their high energy high scoring freshman into foul trouble ,etc.etc,. Its before March madness, you don't practice and trained the already ROTATIONAL QUALIFIED players ,you trained ANYBODY to CONTRIBUTE to the team. And you have to prepared your AMMUNITIONS, as many and as varied as you can get. Is your OFFENSIVE DEFENSE ready yet? Etc.,Etc... Praising for past greatness won't get you ever improving and competitive competition.
So, how many points would the team expect from these subs? Take out Azzi or Lou and put in Ines and watch her score against a swarming defense? Aubrey couldn’t score so why would freshman Ayanna? They players aren’t interchangeable.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The players who were no properly developed.

Reaction Score
Yeah, no one to turn to this year. Perhaps next year with the deeper bench and the more competitive vying for minutes, some aspects of this can be deployed...

Reaction Score
Appreciate the passion in Javafan's post. People on this board seem to fit neatly into one of two camps. Those who really dislike the "shortness" of Geno's bench and rotations. And those who take little to no issue with it. For what it's worth, I've always been in the latter camp.

I do wish he had subbed Lou out after she picked up her fourth foul in the 2018 national semi-final. But that's about the extent of it on this one for me. Not that there aren't other underlying issues that could and should be addressed.
Oh, don't get me going on the 2018 semi-final and the dearth of playing afforded Azura when she was simply just destroying ND... That was Geno's worst coaching strategy ever... This season, given all that transpired, although the end results don't show it, was one of Geno's best coaching efforts.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How many freshmen started or played significant minutes in this year's tournament?

Reaction Score
tOSU played that high energy press with 7 players. I bet those kids could have run at the same fever pitch for another 20 mins. They were just in seriously good shape. The cost for us wasn’t that we couldn’t beat them. It was that we weren’t in the shape to run with them. That’s the toll all the injuries took on us. In a normal season, Geno might play 9 or 10 in Nov-Dec, but by the time February and March roll around the rotation is down to 7, and those 7 are in supremely good condition, ready to run for 40 mins if needed. That’s not an oversight on Geno’s part. It’s his insight into what makes a team great. It takes a season for the core 7 to develop the physical conditioning needed to prevail in March.

Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL

c) Offensive DEFENSE

The fact of the matter is UConn is a very good team with a lot of other very good teams. Geno has never been a mastermind strategist. He has been an excellent recruiter and benefited on having way more talent than any other team. Combine that with a good system and you have a winning format.

Coaches now have adopted that formula and adapted that. X and O's fail to Jimmy and Joe's. He has had two big t I me recruits miss, well being by injuries, and it shows.
I said way back that UCONN wouldn't make it out the sweet 16. I got blasted and knocked for that take, but sometimes you gotta take the rose colored lenses off and see what is what it is. Uconn this year was a very good team just not that great.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People have not been paying attention. Geno said this a dozen times:

If certain players aren’t showing up from the start of the game or responding throughout the course of it, Auriemma feels like he doesn’t have many options to turn to. In the past he could sub someone in to change the course of the game, but that hasn’t been the case this season. The bench was outscored 29-3 by St. John’s on Tuesday.

“We need points,” Auriemma said. “And we don’t have guys on the bench that can score points. So those guys are helpful, provided we have a lead and we’re playing well and the buckets are going in, then they can go in. But when we need points, we need people to put the ball in the basket. Right now that’s what we’re missing the most
.”

Reaction Score
For me, having a few days to let the loss sink in, it's understandable to view what happened. Realistically, this was the first NCAA tournament without senior/varsity leadership. Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Dorka, Lou were all going to their 1st NCAA tourney as the starters. They had played reserve roles the year before, with Christyn, Evina, and Olivia as seniors (and super baller Paige) who had the tourney experience and several years learning Geno's system. Compare that to tOSU team with a senior laden team, along with likely the best WCBB league this year in the BIG, where the competition was brutal.

A growing and learning experience for the UConn squad to catapult them into next year.

In thinking about a recipe for a NC, it seems you need 3 key fantastic players - PG, SF, PF/C. An individual to cover the three "zones" on the offensive side of the court. PG - Paige, Nika, et. al. PF/C - Aaliyah, Isuneh, et. al. SF - Aubrey? SF is the missing piece. Think of Stewie here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think he's talking about suggestions for the future.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
If the "bench players" will never deem "ready" to put in the game, why recruited them in the first place? They must have some thingS to offer for the team. If not, the coach and the coaching staff didn't really do their job to put them in "effective" use ! !

You can watch players in HS and think “yes they will be ready for the next level” and then when push comes to shove they are not. Recruiting isn’t a crystal ball — just like say, draft picks. You never know exactly how a player is going to pan out, if they will live up to expectations or not. Sometimes they might not in year one or even year two, but then a switch flips and it’s a different story. No one can definitively know FOR CERTAIN what will happen. One make an educated guess. There’s a lot of highly touted recruits out of HS that flame out. Or “nobodies” who end up as somebodies. I doubt Geno and Co are just selecting players at random. Sometimes things don’t work out. Or they do, but with time.

Or someone gets injured and they are never the same.

We have been insanely lucky for a long time with both getting great players AND having them be able to perform at or often above expectations. Others are enjoying similar success right now. Doesn’t mean they always will or we never will again. Let’s not forget we HAVE a great and PROVEN recruit on our team right now, who has been unfortunately hampered by injuries.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
The reason I make so much money coaching womens BB is because all my opinions happen AFTER the game is played. I can tell you from experience the in game stuff is the hardest thing for a coach to see and that is why they develop habits. In Geno's case his habits have been better than all but one person in the history of Women's College BB and that is debatable.

If Azzi hits 2 wide open threes in the first quarter UCONN wins, If AE plays the whole game UCONN probably wins, If Caroline hits a couple of her shots UCONN might win. Problem is none of this happened and suggesting one of the bench players could have changed things is really fun to do but it really wasn't the appropriate action to take.

If you think people are hindsight coaching now imagine if Geno lost because he played girls with little or no experience in this type of environment. A lot of this is tongue in cheek and in the end it just wasn't UCONN's night.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I certainly am not opposed to Java's analysis
and I suspect he and Nan are speaking at cross purposes...

Sure Nan and the Geno quote are correct...that in the 2nd round of the NCAA, there was no one on the bench who could be relied upon to score or even foul in a constructive manner...

But what Java is alluding to and others have spelled out is the season-wide refusal to allow meaningful minutes to the bench, stunts their growth and guarantees their lack of usefulness at crunch time when their (developed) skills might have been put to good use when needed.

I've often cited the case of Moriah in this regard.
It's not so much that she developed in her sophomore year, but that she felt confident enough to bring the moves which we all saw (well maybe not all) in her High School career to the Connecticut floor.

No one really knows (even Geno) how useful Inez is and could have been this post-season. But I'll give you a little hint: her 3-point % was 2nd only to Lou
(way less attempts).

For me, the absence of healthy, confident, bodies in a season of a beat up, tiny roster, asked to do too much, and ultimately failing is the story of this defeat or the inevitable next one...Kevin scoped that out perfectly. See Kipling's, Charge of the Light Brigade.

I'm going to say what no one wants to hear...If Caroline's symptoms persist or re-appear, she should consider retiring...And I love her game.

One can hope that Azzi and Paige will re-emerge in tip-top form, but it's possible (however strange) to consider that the page (no pun intended) has already turned and the incoming class will show the way.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say what no one wants to hear...If Caroline's symptoms persist or re-appear, she should consider retiring...And I love her game.

One can hope that Azzi and Paige will re-emerge in tip-top form, but it's possible (however strange) to consider that the page (no pun intended) has alre
I'm glad you had the guts to say this. I might add that Azzi's injury might be a lot more than we know. It might be playing its tricks on her cutting and going to the basket abilities, as opposed to taking open shots.
I have always been puzzled as to why teams (ND, LV, M, MSU, BU, AZ, S, etc) with high energy ball handling guards reek so much havoc on us.

We must hope that the incoming new bloods will be a welcome corrective to some serious problems (despite us winning) that the coaches have skillfully masked for a couple of years now.

Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL

c) Offensive DEFENSE

story of our times not reading that GIF by Trevor Moore

Reaction Score
(Contd)
MY RECOMMENDATION:

a) GAME ENERGY LEVEL

c) Offensive DEFENSE

Unless one thinks coach has lost his edge I believe he knows the team and when to sub for someone. He wants to give them the best chance to win.

Reaction Score
Patterson her first season was a huge disappointment. I expected so much more from her the way she was touted out of hs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom