February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I've been checking this kid out and believe she'll be UConn material. For a sophomore she's got great ability to play and shoot in traffic under control. Something I always look for and can't understand how so many kids going to upper D1 level schools haven't developed yet. Saw a video of her workout routine and it's really comprehensive, she's learning everything and with both hands. She was controlling her HS games as a freshman. She's going to be really good.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've been checking this kid out and believe she'll be UConn material. For a sophomore she's got great ability to play and shoot in traffic under control. Something I always look for and can't understand how so many kids going to upper D1 level schools haven't developed yet. Saw a video of her workout routine and it's really comprehensive, she's learning everything and with both hands. She was controlling her HS games as a freshman. She's going to be really good.

Shade's shooting form and IQ are topnotch. She can obviously pass too. My concerns had been mostly about quickness with her but it appears good enough. She's a solid athlete.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My unofficial stats for Azzi were very unusual:

2 points: 3-6

3 points: 1-7

FTs: 2-2

Total of 11 points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Her elevation is nice, but the ability to shoot and hit at the top of it is more impressive.
Was going to say something similar- she has what shooting coaches call "steady at the top". Once in a while you run across that athletic as hell kid usually coming from another sport that can jump out of the guy but when it come to basketball you have to explode and then become as steady as possible on the release because you don't want to transfer any of the energy to the ball. Shade has that down.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My unofficial stats for Azzi were very unusual:

2 points: 3-6

3 points: 1-7

FTs: 2-2

Total of 11 points.
Tough night.
Was going to say something similar- she has what shooting coaches call "steady at the top". Once in a while you run across that athletic as hell kid usually coming from another sport that can jump out of the guy but when it come to basketball you have to explode and then become as steady as possible on the release because you don't want to transfer any of the energy to the ball. Shade has that down.
This is one of the complaints I have about a lot of very athletic players. They jump high for their shots, but they typically never jump the same height for every shot, which changes their release point making them low percentage shooters. One thing we haven't spoken about (meaning me), is how consistent Paige's shot is: Same form, same height every time. Her fadeaway baseline jumper, which is the best I've seen in WCBB and which looks like Pistol Pete's, is the same every single time. In fact, a lot of her movements to me look like Pete's, although with his shot Pete flicked his wrist more. That to me in itself is incredible.

Reaction Score
Shade's shooting form and IQ are topnotch. She can obviously pass too. My concerns had been mostly about quickness with her but it appears good enough. She's a solid athlete.
Obviously not at the same level yet, but she's got a little of that Bueckers ability to make the game go at her pace. And defensively, knowing where to get to a second or so early can be the same as being a little quicker.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's does that in each of the last set of videos I've posted. In fact, she finishes more with both hands than about any player I can recall.
I’ll be sure to check those out. In this video, there were only 2 occasions where she probably should have finished with her right hand, but ended up using her left hand.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I’ll be sure to check those out. In this video, there were only 2 occasions where she probably should have finished with her right hand, but ended up using her left hand.

I have to admit I don't see either of those instances.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to admit I don't see either of those instances.
There is a layup Ice makes on the right side of the basket with her left hand and there is another play when she catches the ball moving to her right where the easy play would have been to flip up a shot with her right hand, but she elects to spin back to her right and shoot with her left.

Of course she made both shots, but when she gets to college, playing against better players, she will need to use her right hand in those situations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There is a layup Ice makes on the right side of the basket with her left hand and there is another play when she catches the ball moving to her right where the easy play would have been to flip up a shot with her right hand, but she elects to spin back to her right and shoot with her left.

Of course she made both shots, but when she gets to college, playing against better players, she will need to use her right hand in those situations.

I don't know. I like that she has the ability to go in the other direction and casually hit turnaround fadeaways or hit close-in shots off glass on her "weak" side. To me it looks like an indicator of advanced skills and scoring prowess. I'm pretty hard up to find much fault in her offensive game.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I like that she has the ability to go in the other direction and casually hit turnaround fadeaways or hit close-in shots off glass on her "weak" side. To me it looks like an indicator of advanced skills and scoring prowess. I'm pretty hard up to find much fault in her offensive game.
She could run a clinic for the UConn forwards right now.

Reaction Score
I would like to see one more quality Post to go along with Ice and then UCONN should call it a day!

Reaction Score
When do folks think we'll see more verbal commits? In the Spring after the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom