FCS Talent | The Boneyard

FCS Talent

Reaction Score
Seems like we are pulling in a lot IAA talent. There are some FBS level quality gems sitting in that pool but I wonder why we aren’t seeing more P5. Tulane has turned itself into a top 20 usually portal talent effectively.

Reaction Score
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Reaction Score
We got a TE from Michigan and DB from Washington and a LB from Kansas. For now the P5 transfers are probably be gonna be guys looking for more time. The FCS guys we get are probably gonna be kids with on field proven production. I see nothing wrong with this as they continue to build the roster.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems like we are pulling in a lot IAA talent. There are some FBS level quality gems sitting in that pool but I wonder why we aren’t seeing more P5.
What do you think?

Reaction Score
Current 2023 Commits (Transfer Portal = Italics/Bold)
2023 UConn Offer/Commit List (click on commit's name link for Highlights)
  1. Jarvis Jones (WR/ATH) - West Orange High School, West Orange New Jersey (UConn Commit 6/18/22) (Mora)
  2. Brandon Kelley (DL) - Owen J. Roberts High School, Pottstown, PA (UConn Commit 6/19/22) (Mora)
  3. Toriyan Johnson (OL/DL) - Proctor Academy, Andover New Hampshire (UConn Commit 6/19/22) (Mora)
  4. Cleto Chol (DL/LB/WR/TE) - Proctor Academy, Andover, New Hampshire (UConn Commit 6/20/22) (Mora)
  5. Tucker McDonald (QB) - Wachusett Regional High School, Holden MA (UConn Commit 6/23/22) (Mora)
  6. Jackson Harper (WR/DB) - Avon Old Farms School, Avon CT (UConn Commi 6/23/22) (Mora)
  7. Carsten Casady (OL/DL) - Rolesville High School, Rolesville North Carolina (UConn Commit 6/24/22) (Mora)
  8. Cameron Chadwick (DB/WR) - Immaculate High School, Somerville New Jersey (UConn Commit 7/1/22) (Mora)
  9. Christopher Hudson (DB/RB) - St. Thomas More School, Oakdale CT (UConn Commit 7/4/22) (Mora)
  10. Toluwanimi Tunde (DL/OL) - Canada Prep Academy, St. Catharines Ontario Canada (UConn Commit 7/4/22) (Mora)
  11. Zack Drawdy Jr. (WR/RB/QB/ATH) - Yulee High School, Yulee Florida (UConn Commit 7/21/22) (Mora)
  12. Seth Turner (K/P) - Great Valley High School, Malvern PA (UConn Commit 11/15/22) (PWO) (Mora)
  13. Teddy Williams (WR/LB/ATH) - Portland CT>Salisbury School, Salisbury (UConn Commit 12/13/22) CT (PWO) (Mora)
  14. Zakhari Spears (DB) - Los Angeles California>University of Washington (UConn Commit 12/14/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  15. Eriq Gilyard (LB) - Jacksonville Florida>UCF>Kansas (UConn Commit 12/16/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  16. Oumar Diomande (LB/RB) - J.F. Kennedy Campus High School, Bronx New York (UConn Commit 12/20/22) (Mora)
  17. Nader Chirchi (TE/OL/DL) - Thomas Edison High School, Alexandria Virginia (UConn Commit 12/21/22) (Mora)
  18. Louis Hansen (TE) - Dover MA>University of Michigan (UConn Commit 12/26/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  19. Mumu Bin-Wahad (DB) - Loganville Georgia > West Virginia University (UConn Commit 1/5/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  20. Ray Eldridge (DL) - McDonald PA>University of Richmond (UConn Football Commit 1/6/22)(Transfer Portal) (Mora)

Reaction Score
What do you think?
I don’t know that’s why I’m asking. Seems like we should be able to bring in a quality QB and a few more skill players, no?

Reaction Score
We got a TE from Michigan and DB from Washington and a LB from Kansas. For now the P5 transfers are probably be gonna be guys looking for more time. The FCS guys we get are probably gonna be kids with on field proven production. I see nothing wrong with this as they continue to build the roster.
Wasn’t implying anything is wrong. I’d think grabbing more 2nd team guys off big program benches would serve us well. I’ve watched what Tulane has been doing. They have become formidable bringing in P5 Portal talent. Maybe it’s just a destination issue? UConn is a solid offer- great school, NFL connected coach, great facilities..

Reaction Score
Jake Guidone was a talented FCS player before coming here and was one of our best players in 2022....Getting highly productive FCS players is a smart way to continue to build this program. Plus they have gotten 4 P5 transfers this offseason already.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t implying anything is wrong. I’d think grabbing more 2nd team guys off big program benches would serve us well. I’ve watched what Tulane has been doing. They have become formidable bringing in P5 Portal talent. Maybe it’s just a destination issue? UConn is a solid offer- great school, NFL connected coach, great facilities..
I just think we've been down so long it's gonna take more than one 6-7, season for this to be a destination of any kind. The offense also has to develop to where playmakers want to come here. Passing for 100 yds a game is not gonna excite anyone. This next year is crucial for that in my opinion.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Getting productive fcs players from schools like richmond is a legitimate way to build rotational depth. I like it!

Reaction Score
I don’t know that’s why I’m asking. Seems like we should be able to bring in a quality QB and a few more skill players, no?

Why would you assume that someone who went to a P5 school and wasn’t able to get on the field is better than someone who has succeeded at a FCS level? Because they were better thought of coming out of high school? How many years down the road do you care about how they were thought of coming out of high school?

It’s perfectly possible that guys not playing at West Virginia are better than a successful FCS veteran. It’s also possible that the opposite is true. The staff has to focus on getting the best players they can get. Whatever strength you put in recruiting rankings while the player was in high school, once they’ve played college football far more relevant evidence exists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Players develop at different rates. They can be overrated or underrated coming out of HS. With the FCS one gets to see them play rather than guessing the potential of a bench player.

Reaction Score
Typically it’s been 5th year kid. Jake Guidone was a great pick up. Your talking a well coached 22 year old that is all conference.

Reaction Score
Players develop at different rates. They can be overrated or underrated coming out of HS. With the FCS one gets to see them play rather than guessing the potential of a bench player.
Agreed. Better baseline to see their "game speed" as well.

Reaction Score
I'd be excited by P5 with game time, but otherwise I'm happier to see FCS that have played a lot and have plenty of film than from the P5 bench.

We had two P5 receivers transfer in last year from Texas and BC. Harrison (Texas) barely saw the field and muffed a couple punts in critical moments. Williams (BC) was even quieter. Maybe we're developing them and will see more this year, which I hope; but regardless, it proves that P5 pedigree doesn't guarantee a quick return on investment. As many have said, at least these FCS guys have seen more playing time when we bring them in.

Reaction Score
According to my in depth Google research 123 former FCS players made NFL rosters this fall. Trust the coaches.
Totally agree on trusting the coaches. And, be skeptical of the high school ratings - other than most of the 5-stars and some of the high 4-stars, it's a total crap shoot to use high school ratings to project college success. Though, you see 5-stars and high 4-stars flame out, too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems portal players come in two types those moving up levels in search of recognition and those moving down in search of PT. The only level down from us is FCS, seems reasonable we would pickup a good number of players there. Since the staff is clearly trying to upgrade the talent level and have had success to date using all avenues, I read some troll in the OP. Especially since the Tulane coach is in his 7th year there.

Reaction Score
I'd be excited by P5 with game time, but otherwise I'm happier to see FCS that have played a lot and have plenty of film than from the P5 bench.

We had two P5 receivers transfer in last year from Texas and BC. Harrison (Texas) barely saw the field and muffed a couple punts in critical moments. Williams (BC) was even quieter. Maybe we're developing them and will see more this year, which I hope; but regardless, it proves that P5 pedigree doesn't guarantee a quick return on investment. As many have said, at least these FCS guys have seen more playing time when we bring them in.
They both played more than the lineman who came to us from Michigan and ‘Bama. Who both redshirted. Again, I’m not knocking those kids and they may end up being big time players, but in the coach’s view they weren’t on the same level as Guidone this year.

Reaction Score
They both played more than the lineman who came to us from Michigan and ‘Bama. Who both redshirted. Again, I’m not knocking those kids and they may end up being big time players, but in the coach’s view they weren’t on the same level as Guidone this year.
I agree with you Guidone was going to slide in and take the center spot even from S.Walker who had one year of FBS experience with us because that was a huge struggle for us. I wished Guidone had one more year to build consistency at center. You would expect the Bama and Michigan kid to come in and give our o-line starters a run for their money. In my opinion because of better competition and S&C .. but no one on the two deep who was not a starter could overtake a starter, in recent times we have only had that happened once and the previous starter left the team.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Arguably our best pickup was a center from the Ivy. This staff did a nice job of using much-maligned players and some fresh blood, without playing favorites, to put the most competitive team I've seen in ages on the field.

Reaction Score
Tulane was definitely not formidable the year before, they were 2-10, and that was HC Fritiz’s 6 season at the helm. What Jim Mora did as a 1st year coach is incredible, especially with the key injuries Uconn had. Maybe you should give Coach Mora a few more years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom