OT: Favorite Restaurant in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Restaurant in CT

Reaction Score
I believe those two restaurants have common ownership and they also own Sayulita in South Glastonbury
For any Yarders looking for fresh Mexican food in Farmington Valley.. One of the former chefs at Sayulita opened a place in Simsbury--La Joya.. Not a huge foot print..10-15 tables.. Food/drink is excellent.. Was a chef in Cali before Sayulita so he knows how to prepare great food

Reaction Score
Another spot that deserves mention? Bricco in WH Center. I wouldn't say it's my favorite? But I've been there a million times for work dinners and it never, ever disappoints. It's a spot you can go any night, order anything on the menu and it's just rock solid.
Never had a bad meal at Bricco. Great place, atmosphere, innovative. Tough getting in there at times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Grew up in Manchester, but never at at Cavey’s Upstairs. Everyone talked about it when I was a kid. Evidently Geno bought it in 2019.
Cavey's was tops right to the end. My last meal there was during restaurant week and the sauce that came with the dish was incredible. Three courses for $20-something. It was nuts.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the love for Goodfellas. Obviously I’m partial to L’Orcio, but in a city with an excess of great Italian restaurants of various types, I don’t think Goodfellas distinguishes itself on any score.

I probably eat at Portofino more than any of them and I think they are very good to great 99% of the time. And Skappo is excellent but very different.

Adrianna’s and Tarry Lodge probably the next level down for me, but I’d gladly eat at either.

For my tastes, Goodfellas and Caffe Bravo are probably the next level down from there, along with Tre Scalini (which used to be much better imo).
For my money Adrianna's can't be beat. The only time at L'Orcio we had a really bad experience so never went back. Luce is another that I like.

Reaction Score
I eat as much Italian, pizza, French food and pastries as I can find, so I’ll weigh in (no pun intended)…

Lots of great Italian on here, agreed on L’Orcio being one of the best. But I think Grano Arso in Chester might be better. A bit off the beaten path, but worth a trip.

Pizza, I’m taking Bufalina in Guilford or Zeneli in New Haven. Obviously I eat the mains as well, and gun to my head I’d take Pepe’s, Sally’s then Modern (new haven locations) if you’re eating there. Modern is the best option if you’re taking it to go, then Pepe’s.

French food I’ve never had a bad meal at Bar Bouchee in Madison. There seems to be some disagreement about Le Petit Cafe in Branford being closed, I understood that it was closed but haven’t gone by myself, but that was great. Union League Cafe is an old standard, still solid.

A truly great spot for pastries is Hen & Heifer in Guilford. Was nominated for a James Beard award and makes things that blow my mind regularly.

Reaction Score
If you are in Western CT there are a couple of places that are under the radar here probably that are pretty good.

The Cue in Danbury is an excellent BBQ place with some really interesting takes on things but also the standard brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken items and their ribs are great.
The Painted Lemon is a little out of the way up in Sherman but has fabulous Italian food and their basics like pizza and calzone are great. When you get take out you pick up at the back door which opens to the kitchen directly and you can hear the cooks yelling at each other in Italian which I figure is a good sign.
Rraci's in Brewster (just over the border from Danbury) is an excellent, upscale Italian place. I've only been there a few times but the food and service were always fantastic.
Lucas Local in Southbury is a great seafood place with a killer raw bar and a great oyster selection. It is a little loud as it gets later in the evening and has a funky, younger vibe to it. Their service when we have been there has been very attentive including when they were crazy busy and we were there with a party of 12.
Mariposa Taqueira on the west side of Danbury has a fairly basic menu with excellent street style tacos and a small number of beef, chicken and fish entrees. All are very good and prices are reasonable. They have great Sangria.
Quick shoutout to a new BBQ place on the Danbury/Bethel border called Farmboys Smokin' BBQ. They opened in the spring I think and I have been there twice. It is more of a standard pit BBQ joint (Less upscale than The Cue mentioned above). I had their brisket platter which was juicy, smoky and perfect with two sides which included excellent pit beans with chunks of smoked brisket and pork in them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to narrow it down exactly so I'll give my top restaurant in my top categories:
Mediterranean (and if you put a gun to my head regarding my favorite restaurant in the state) - Zohara
Pizza - Modern (obviously)
Steakhouse - J Gilbert's
Bakery - Sift
Cocktail bar - Port of Call (the fluke was the best fish I'd ever had in the US)
Asian - Pho 501

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Nina’s Desi Kitchen in Southington is really good.
La Tavola in Waterbury is great.

Reaction Score
Zohara has become one of my favorites in West Hartford. All the mention of Mediterranean Bistro in EH makes me think I have to make it a point to stop in there when I am in that area for work.
Zohara is better. It’s always a toss up between there and Bricco for me but I end up at Bricco

Reaction Score
I enjoyed shipwrights daughter better. Some of the best oysters I’ve ever had not counting Raw 19 on the vineyard

Reaction Score
I eat as much Italian, pizza, French food and pastries as I can find, so I’ll weigh in (no pun intended)…

Lots of great Italian on here, agreed on L’Orcio being one of the best. But I think Grano Arso in Chester might be better. A bit off the beaten path, but worth a trip.

Pizza, I’m taking Bufalina in Guilford or Zeneli in New Haven. Obviously I eat the mains as well, and gun to my head I’d take Pepe’s, Sally’s then Modern (new haven locations) if you’re eating there. Modern is the best option if you’re taking it to go, then Pepe’s.

French food I’ve never had a bad meal at Bar Bouchee in Madison. There seems to be some disagreement about Le Petit Cafe in Branford being closed, I understood that it was closed but haven’t gone by myself, but that was great. Union League Cafe is an old standard, still solid.

A truly great spot for pastries is Hen & Heifer in Guilford. Was nominated for a James Beard award and makes things that blow my mind regularly.
Le petite is back open they closed during Covid and he wasn’t sure he was going reopen but there was a lot of demand

I disagree with Grano Arso. I think it’s very overrated lived in Chester within walking distance and ate there more times than I can count but I think it’s overpriced and overrated. Very good worth the trip if you never been but ever since I moved back to the shoreline I’ve had zero desire to return. Better Italian food and pricing in Branford and New Haven

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you are in Western CT there are a couple of places that are under the radar here probably that are pretty good.

The Cue in Danbury is an excellent BBQ place with some really interesting takes on things but also the standard brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken items and their ribs are great..
Heading up to Danbury in December for my brother's surprise 60th b-day party. The Cue has a really interesting menu, stuff we don't see at BBQ places here in Pgh. My brother is big on BBQ but probably more the pit/dive type, but will keep this in my back pocket. Great menu and not all that unreasonable. I wish we had something like the 5 types pork around here.
Mariposa Taqueira on the west side of Danbury has a fairly basic menu with excellent street style tacos and a small number of beef, chicken and fish entrees. All are very good and prices are reasonable. They have great Sangria
Might be looking for a lunch or lighter dinner while up there. The birria ramen sounds like a solid bowl of winter comfort. Any idea what fish they use for the fish tacos? Nice they've got arepas, coxhinas, and jicama slaw.
Quick shoutout to a new BBQ place on the Danbury/Bethel border called Farmboys Smokin' BBQ. They opened in the spring I think and I have been there twice. It is more of a standard pit BBQ joint (Less upscale than The Cue mentioned above). I had their brisket platter which was juicy, smoky and perfect with two sides which included excellent pit beans with chunks of smoked brisket and pork in them.
Probably more my brother's style than The Cue. Aside from differences in menu, is the meat qualtiy and pit skills between the two roughly equal?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Castello’s in Niantic.

Very good Italian, friendly, but not overly familiar service, reasonably priced given how good the food is. They kept the place open for me one night for a party of six. Nice people.

Reaction Score
Heading up to Danbury in December for my brother's surprise 60th b-day party. The Cue has a really interesting menu, stuff we don't see at BBQ places here in Pgh. My brother is big on BBQ but probably more the pit/dive type, but will keep this in my back pocket. Great menu and not all that unreasonable. I wish we had something like the 5 types pork around here.

Might be looking for a lunch or lighter dinner while up there. The birria ramen sounds like a solid bowl of winter comfort. Any idea what fish they use for the fish tacos? Nice they've got arepas, coxhinas, and jicama slaw.

Probably more my brother's style than The Cue. Aside from differences in menu, is the meat qualtiy and pit skills between the two roughly equal?
Mariposa: Not sure about the fish in the fish tacos. I've had several of their tacos, but not the fish tacos. I like fish tacos but just haven't had theirs yet.
The Cue vs Farmboys: I've only had Farmboys twice. Both really good. Their brisket at lunch even was very good. My friend had pullled pork and raved about it. The Cue is definitely a step above any regular pit BBQ place I've been to. Yes, they do your favorites like smoked rib racks, brisket, smoked half chickens and also as a occasional special smoked beef ribs. They also have had a smoked short rib offering that is really good. But they also do some really interesting things with their entrees if you don't go straight BBQ and they are all good.

Reaction Score

Sorry, I didn't answer your last question properly. From my experience the quality of the food and the "pit skills" as you call them favor The Cue. However, I have eaten at The Cue many times, friends of mine are friendly with the chef Joe who is a bit of a local celebrity in the restaurant scene. So I may be a bit biased here. Also, I've only had Farmboys twice. Both really good though.
They are different experiences. The Cue is sit down, a little rustic looking, with great food and a small bar on one side.
Farmboys is a bar, with a big oval bar in the middle of the room, also a rustic look but more kitchy with like the street signs on the walls and such.

Reaction Score
Has anyone eaten at prime in guilford? I’ve heard very positive reviews haven’t gotten there yet

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Taking the wife to blackstone steakhouse this Saturday. Good choice?
Not a fan of Blackstone, I'll drive to Lugers if I'm spending that amount of $$ on a steak dinner, unless you are taking advantage of Norwalk Restaurant Week.

I have heard good things about Gabrielles of Westport, but will still head to NYC at that price point

Reaction Score
Le petite is back open they closed during Covid and he wasn’t sure he was going reopen but there was a lot of demand

I disagree with Grano Arso. I think it’s very overrated lived in Chester within walking distance and ate there more times than I can count but I think it’s overpriced and overrated. Very good worth the trip if you never been but ever since I moved back to the shoreline I’ve had zero desire to return. Better Italian food and pricing in Branford and New Haven
I've only been to Grano Arso twice, but both times it was amazing for me. But maybe I'll change my mind! I didn't really think about the cost since I expensed it both times :D I do think there's something about living right next to something that makes it slowly seem less special. Bufalina is basically my neighbor and the charm has gradually worn on me a bit...

Has anyone eaten at prime in guilford? I’ve heard very positive reviews haven’t gotten there yet

I haven't yet, but my brother and mother both have separately on several occasions now, and my wife had drinks and apps there. Everyone said it was "great", but I don't really trust any of them. So I'll withhold judgement until I get there myself. Amarone's on the green in Guilford is also pretty good, not amazing but very solid if you need a spot for dinner in the area.

Reaction Score
I've only been to Grano Arso twice, but both times it was amazing for me. But maybe I'll change my mind! I didn't really think about the cost since I expensed it both times :D I do think there's something about living right next to something that makes it slowly seem less special. Bufalina is basically my neighbor and the charm has gradually worn on me a bit...

I haven't yet, but my brother and mother both have separately on several occasions now, and my wife had drinks and apps there. Everyone said it was "great", but I don't really trust any of them. So I'll withhold judgement until I get there myself. Amarone's on the green in Guilford is also pretty good, not amazing but very solid if you need a spot for dinner in the area.
I will go to Quattros next door. Amarones doesn’t do it for me and I think Quattros does better food. I also like guilford bistro better. Too many bad experiences at amarones but not to the point I won’t ever return.

Still I’d rank Quattros, Guilford Bistro and South Lane ahead of them

Reaction Score
I will go to Quattros next door. Amarones doesn’t do it for me and I think Quattros does better food. I also like guilford bistro better. Too many bad experiences at amarones but not to the point I won’t ever return.

Still I’d rank Quattros, Guilford Bistro and South Lane ahead of them
I haven’t been back to Quattro’s since Amarone’s opened. I think we might just have different tastes! I’m almost only eating pasta, I suppose that could make a big difference.

But I will go back to Quattro’s soon now just to be sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom