OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
Anyone tried Carmine Di Vega in New Haven? I drive by it a lot and keep wondering if it's worth a visit.

Reaction Score
Went to Zohara in West Hartford Center last weekend. Mediterranean food. Super overhyped. The Yelp reviews were overwhelmingly positive and I was overwhelming underwhelmed.

Maybe it's the fact I have middle eastern (lebanese) blood and am used to homecooked dishes. I found it to be really bland and there was nothing me or my girflriend ordered that we'd run back to get again.

Like most spots in WeHa Center, it's a cool looking location, filled with WeHa moms and their designer purses and I'm sure they all "loved" it. For me, I'd rather have really good food without the splash.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Zohara in West Hartford Center last weekend. Mediterranean food. Super overhyped. The Yelp reviews were overwhelmingly positive and I was overwhelming underwhelmed.

Maybe it's the fact I have middle eastern (lebanese) blood and am used to homecooked dishes. I found it to be really bland and there was nothing me or my girflriend ordered that we'd run back to get again.

Like most spots in WeHa Center, it's a cool looking location, filled with WeHa moms and their designer purses and I'm sure they all "loved" it. For me, I'd rather have really good food without the splash.
Agreed. Had lunch there last year based on the reviews and was underwhelmed. I eat Middle Eastern food at least once a week, often twice. Mediterranea in New Haven and Baab Al Salaam in Orange are my go-tos and everything I've had at each tastes homemade and very flavorful. Zohora costs a lot more and is not nearly as good imo.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Had lunch there last year based on the reviews and was underwhelmed. I eat Middle Eastern food at least once a week, often twice. Mediterranea in New Haven and Baab Al Salaam in Orange are my go-tos and everything I've had at each tastes homemade and very flavorful. Zohora costs a lot more and is not nearly as good imo.

We did a wine dinner there about 18 months ago and the menu had been specially prepared for the event. It was outstanding, so I returned for a department lunch a few months later and found it decent but not great. I find the appetizers to be much better than the meals. At this point I prefer Sultan's in Waterbury, which is more Turkish than Lebanese/Syrian but consistently good.

I married into the cuisine (wife's family is Lebanese and they own a Lebanese bakery in Fall River). I'm yet to find a place in CT that makes a proper za'atar seasoning.

Reaction Score
We did a wine dinner there about 18 months ago and the menu had been specially prepared for the event. It was outstanding, so I returned for a department lunch a few months later and found it decent but not great. I find the appetizers to be much better than the meals. At this point I prefer Sultan's in Waterbury, which is more Turkish than Lebanese/Syrian but consistently good.

I married into the cuisine (wife's family is Lebanese and they own a Lebanese bakery in Fall River). I'm yet to find a place in CT that makes a proper za'atar seasoning.

Za'atar is one of my secret weapons. Not many people use it or know of it and I'll use it on roasted red potatoes, chicken, fish and it's killer.

Reaction Score
Za'atar is one of my secret weapons. Not many people use it or know of it and I'll use it on roasted red potatoes, chicken, fish and it's killer.

It's like the Frank's Red Hot Commercial -- "I put that #&!+ on everything!" The sumac is the key ingredient, and I incorporate that into a lot of my rubs and seasonings.

Not that there's ever any reason to go to Fall River, but if you happen to be doing so, check out Sam's Bakery on Flint St. Get the meat pie or the spinach/feta pie.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

What brand do you favor? There are numerous regional variations over the wild thyme/sumac/sesame seed basic version, some with hyssop instead of thyme (Lebanon), some with cumin (Egypt) and others with garlic or oregano or added salt. I haven't tried each one, but am partial to Egyptian since I'm a fan of toasted cumin and coriander and it also has a kick from Aleppo peppers.

Reaction Score
What brand do you favor? There are numerous regional variations over the wild thyme/sumac/sesame seed basic version, some with hyssop instead of thyme (Lebanon), some with cumin (Egypt) and others with garlic or oregano or added salt. I haven't tried each one, but am partial to Egyptian since I'm a fan of toasted cumin and coriander and it also has a kick from Aleppo peppers.

I got a bag the size of a pound of coffee from a lebanese bakery and i don't have the ingredients or label anymore. When it runs out, I'll be devastated.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I seem to like the Syrian places best as among the Middle Eastern places.

We still get Blue Apron a couple weeks a month and their recipes with Za'atar are always a hit with us, and we cherish whatever spice is left over and find ways to use it in other stuff.

I'll have to look for a Middle Eastern bakery to find some.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom