OT: Favorite Boutique Coffee Brands | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Boutique Coffee Brands

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
What do you roast on? I had a Behmor for more than a dozen years, but I've already replaced the motor once and the second one has been struggling. Of course I used it a lot (against directions) when I was selling stuff from my garage at the farmer's market. I'd do ~20 roasts a week, netting ~12oz each one, giving me 30 0.5lb bags to sell. I should've expected the machine to gag.

Sweet Maria's (and their larger batch counterpart Shrub) are still the best, IMO, for the home roaster sourcing green. I know there are other good ones, but SM has terrific advice and service, and the best selection for my $.

I use a Kaldi Wide gas roaster. I like Sweet Maria's but I tend to use Mr. Green Beans(diycoffeeroasting.com). I got to know the owner when I was living in Portland so I like to support his business. Not as wide a selection but he's a great guy and very knowledgeable. He's careful who he sources from and visits a lot of the farms he buys from.

Reaction Score
My three:

1) Bones
2) Lola Savanna
3) Maryanne's
4) Volcanica

Personally I'm a big flavored coffee devotee and IMO you can't beat any of these four in that department. Bones' 'small batch' recipes are tops, though narrowly. Their 'Electric Unicorn' is absolutely fantastic.
I order carpe Diem Sunrise Blend from Maine. it’s delicious medium blend coffee. I also order knee buckling espresso from stone street coffee roasters in Brooklyn. It’s more of a medium blend and is sold at a lot of coffee shops in nyc. It’s rea excellent.

Reaction Score
I like J Rene out of West Hartford. I go to Dom's in Avon a lot. And Irving Farms, which is what they sell at Rebel. I also tried something that had a skull and bones on it this weekend at a friends. It was delicious. Strong as hell though.
That’s Death Wish Coffee - seems gimmicky to me. Perhaps not, it’s local but i steer clear of it for that reason.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
stumptown is probably my favorite. as far as local stuff goes, everything i have had from giv (canton, ct) has been great.

that being said, i am just as likely to have a bag of pre-ground dunkin donuts on my shelf as i am anything super nice.
Stumptown Hair Bender.

Not boutique but if you drink it you’ll never breed another brand of coffee ever. I guarantee it just like my source is guaranteeing a few more commits at some point in the future.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I feel that I am going to sound like a troglodyte and an idiot asking this question. But, I'd like to 'up my coffee game'. However, I'm just a one-cup a day K-cup user, and that's not likely to change any time soon. Are there any high-quality boutique coffees out there in K-cup form that people would recommend? Or is that very idea a sort-of oxymoron?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I feel that I am going to sound like a troglodyte and an idiot asking this question. But, I'd like to 'up my coffee game'. However, I'm just a one-cup a day K-cup user, and that's not likely to change any time soon. Are there any high-quality boutique coffees out there in K-cup form that people would recommend? Or is that very idea a sort-of oxymoron?
@storrsroars can explain much better, but the biggest problem with most Keurigs is that they don't get hot enough for proper extraction so you would probably be wasting your money on better beans unless you have a Keurig that gets hot enough. In that case, there are refillable K-cups and you can buy your own beans, grind them and fill the K-cup yourself. I have not done this but I have heard from those who have that it requires more fresh-ground coffee to get the same strength as whatever method they use to preserve the prefilled cups.

Reaction Score
I would get a Chemex with a reusable filter. I have 2 cups a day and it's perfect. Very simple to use.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love strong coffee. I have tried all the brands and own an espresso machine that only uses Lavazza pods. That said, my favorite coffee is Turkish coffee where the grounds stay in the bottom of the cup. I use a cezve (Copper Turkish coffee pot) and mix in my sweetener in the water until it boils. Then I put a tablespoon of a Lebanese, Turkish or Israeli coffee into the boiling water and remove it from the heat after a few seconds- pour it in my cup and enjoy. Just don't drink the grounds!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There's a One World Coffee Roasters in North Haven I will be stopping at in an hour.

Here's a link to a blog post about coffee brewing methods...

Reaction Score
My three:

1) Bones
2) Lola Savanna
3) Maryanne's
4) Volcanica

Personally I'm a big flavored coffee devotee and IMO you can't beat any of these four in that department. Bones' 'small batch' recipes are tops, though narrowly. Their 'Electric Unicorn' is absolutely fantastic.
Solid list.. might add kumu also

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
@storrsroars can explain much better, but the biggest problem with most Keurigs is that they don't get hot enough for proper extraction so you would probably be wasting your money on better beans unless you have a Keurig that gets hot enough. In that case, there are refillable K-cups and you can buy your own beans, grind them and fill the K-cup yourself. I have not done this but I have heard from those who have that it requires more fresh-ground coffee to get the same strength as whatever method they use to preserve the prefilled cups.
There are coffee scientist types who have developed pods with exceptional coffee, but more for the Nespresso than the Keurig.

If one would like an explanation as to what 8893 is talking about, here's a good primer on the deficiencies of a Keurig brewer.

On the positive side, market demand is leading more specialty roasters to offer pods.
I would get a Chemex with a reusable filter. I have 2 cups a day and it's perfect. Very simple to use.
If one likes body and depth in their cup, Chemex maybe isn't the way to go, IMO. The thick filter allows you to better articulate the flavors in the cup (I like it for floral Yirgacheffes and Peruvians), but the mouthfeel is generally more like tea, IMHO.

A quick anecdote - I was asked to design the coffee service for a top local restaurant with a James Beard-nominated chef. I brewed him the same coffee on seven different devices so he could experience the result from each, and his comment on the Chemex was, "too feminine."
I love strong coffee. I have tried all the brands and own an espresso machine that only uses Lavazza pods. That said, my favorite coffee is Turkish coffee where the grounds stay in the bottom of the cup. I use a cezve (Copper Turkish coffee pot) and mix in my sweetener in the water until it boils. Then I put a tablespoon of a Lebanese, Turkish or Israeli coffee into the boiling water and remove it from the heat after a few seconds- pour it in my cup and enjoy. Just don't drink the grounds!!
Tradition says you should boil 3x for Turkish and 4x for Lebanese, or so I've been told. We used to have a belly dance teacher come into the shop every couple of months for awhile and perform with her students. I'd set up a Turkish coffee station. It was popular. I still have the three cezves I used.

You are hard core. It's a nice diversion every now and then, but every morning... woof. I suppose if you had a large jar and kept feeding it the sludge off the bottom, by mid-summer you'd have enough goop to fix cracks in your driveway ;-)

Reaction Score
Redding Roasters in Bethel CT

interesting time for me to see this thread. My espresso machine stopped working and I had no choice but to go out and buy a Breville Expresso machine this morning.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are coffee scientist types who have developed pods with exceptional coffee, but more for the Nespresso than the Keurig.

If one would like an explanation as to what 8893 is talking about, here's a good primer on the deficiencies of a Keurig brewer.

On the positive side, market demand is leading more specialty roasters to offer pods.

If one likes body and depth in their cup, Chemex maybe isn't the way to go, IMO. The thick filter allows you to better articulate the flavors in the cup (I like it for floral Yirgacheffes and Peruvians), but the mouthfeel is generally more like tea, IMHO.

A quick anecdote - I was asked to design the coffee service for a top local restaurant with a James Beard-nominated chef. I brewed him the same coffee on seven different devices so he could experience the result from each, and his comment on the Chemex was, "too feminine."

Tradition says you should boil 3x for Turkish and 4x for Lebanese, or so I've been told. We used to have a belly dance teacher come into the shop every couple of months for awhile and perform with her students. I'd set up a Turkish coffee station. It was popular. I still have the three cezves I used.

You are hard core. It's a nice diversion every now and then, but every morning... woof. I suppose if you had a large jar and kept feeding it the sludge off the bottom, by mid-summer you'd have enough goop to fix cracks in your driveway ;-)
Nespresso is very good. I’ve been impressed every time I have had a cup from one.

Reaction Score
Just do yourself a favor and get a grinder and decent drip coffee setup.

For grinder the Baratza encore is ~$150 but can usually find refurbs for closer to $100 and it's basically the industry standard for solid burr grinder without breaking the bank.

For drip machine (I'm lazy and haven't opted for the pour over route) take your pick from here to get one thats worthwhile shelling out for good beans:
I have the Bonavita 1901 for a couple years now and it's awesome. 1 button and impossible to screw up (granted the lid design is kinda crappy)

Reaction Score
Alias Roasters - Troy NY
Stack - Albany, NY

Both roast and serve, but man it does make a difference in who's doing the making/serving - it does have an impact on taste and depth.

Reaction Score
Sadly I switched to K-Cups, mainly out of laziness. Had the bean grinder/brewer combo machine but it was so much effort and the coffee never came out as hot as I would like. I'm a black coffee drinker so I love my coffee.

Seeing the recommendations and favorites leaves me wanting for my roaster. Anyway I have a K-Cup pod for grinds which works.

I have tried the K-Cup Bones @Rich posted and its excellent.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

I use it as a treat - once every 6 days or so. I like to savor my taste and drinking it everyday would kill that for me.

Reaction Score
If I were still in CT and wanted to buy local, I'd go to NEAT in Darien. Because I was in the industry for more than a decade, I got to know some really great people and Kyle Bellinger is near or at the top of that list. Great guy, really knows his stuff, solid roaster and buyer, now even has his own farms in SA.
+1 to Neat.

I'm friends with and grew up w/ Kyle's wife and she first got me trying their shop. I'm a boring coffee guy (Starbucks whole bean French Roast, ground daily over a Chemex. I can't do acidic coffees, they ravage my insides), but my wife loves Neat. We try to stop by every few months of so to parlay w/ a bread pickup at Flour Salt Water.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
+1 for J Rene. 528 house blend is one of my favorites. However the wife doesn’t like so we go stumptown now which is also great.

Used to do chemex but I feel the good drip makers are just as good if not better than me doing it. My bonavita finally kicked it and picked up an Oxo 8 cup which is excellent. We also recently got an espresso machine and do blue bottle on there. Any espresso recs?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Any espresso recs?
What's your grinder? That'll determine if you have the capability to adjust to different types of espresso.

I'd start with classics like Black Cat (Intelligentsia) and Hairbender (Stumptown) as those are fairly timeless for espresso blends. Once you get those where you're comfortable dialing in, then you can expand. Hologram and Apollo from Counter Culture are also good bets. Most good coffeehouses have good espresso blends, but I'd be wary of single origin espressos prominently featuring African or Central American coffees as those can be ridiculously bright (to be fair, some people actually like that).

Best espresso I ever had was Epic from 49th Parallel in Vancouver, but that was at a top notch bar on a really sweet espresso machine. I cannot come close to duplicating that cup at home on my equipment.

Oddly, although I probably consumed a gallon of espresso a week when I owned my shop, it was mostly for QC and not for enjoyment. I've lost the palate for straight shots, although I do enjoy a capp from time to time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom