Facility Investment Together Surcharge/Fee Coming This Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Facility Investment Together Surcharge/Fee Coming This Year

C

Chief00

Yeah none of us diehards here are worried about the $ - we are worried about what it means for the casual fans.

It is always great how everyone NOT HERE and actually going to games has such strong opinions

I agree the Stairmasters of the World have strong opinions about how much more fans, who actually buy seasons tickets, should pay for sports they seldom watch.

For those who actually buy multiple tickets - the cost of unloading a ticket is such that getting $10-15 is pretty good some games and $0 other. Seems then like a strange thing to put a surcharge on.

As for Dre - he doesn't have to buy tickets - at least for basketball.

C

Chief00

Wow and wow again..Did Wacky Boob leave something in now Wacky Dave's water cooler...????
First he signs off on now Corny Bob's exit fee while supposedly already talking to Randy...Sends the message early there would be no increase in ticket prices..
Now with declining attendance in all sports he decides this is the way to go? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not going to rant, just think it is simply the opposite of what the AD should be doing at this time. While I support all the sports he is trying to improve facilities for, it should not be on the backs of those that have suffered through the PP & BD football era.

With the donations being anywhere from $100 a seat to $400 or more us diehards should not be taxed any more. This at least until we see some teams that would entice friends to join us at a game. This should fill The Dog House for Holy Cross...Head bang

DB is either ill informed or as stubborn as Diaco not to see the situation. One could give up four seasons tickets this year and go with one interested friend and sit anywhere they want to. This with free tickets or one picked up in the lot for a third of face value...

The other thing is you don't get a tax deduction on a surcharge.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I guess UConn has to do this as window dressing for a P5 invite
A look at many many P5 schools and they have upgraded baseball and softball but you have to also understand there aren't that many P5 schools in the northeast and with the exception of the B1G schools in the upper Midwest, most P5 schools are in fair weather locations where baseball and softball are HUGE so they have those elite facilities. Its like Palatine said - its about keeping up with the Jones if you want to live in the neighborhood.
I am quite sure that the BoD and SH and BD have a pretty good feeling that a P5 invite is in the wings - if not, screw this upgrade until it becomes more affordable (when will that be???)
Also, I'm not quite sure that football will be steering the P5 wheel in 5-10 years - interest in football is waning quite a bit in the youth ages and it just might be mens basketball that will dictate.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As for Dre - he doesn't have to buy tickets - at least for basketball

But he can make a Carmelo type donation
I am not sure what some of our successful sports alum give to UConn but I haven't heard of any huge ones except for soccer and swimming (Wolf family) but then again there maybe some that are hushed
Anyone know?
Why can't some of these baseball players who are/have in the past making some mad $ do something?

Reaction Score
The other thing is you don't get a tax deduction on a surcharge.

Thought of that also just did not throw it in. I also wonder if the free tickets they have been giving out to boost attendance will now cost $5.00? To be sure there will be plenty for our opener. Will this alter Top Of The Rent specials. :eek:
I will cough it up but it just feels like a slap in the face for what all the loyal fans have endured. With so many on the fence as it is DB may find out he should have waited a season on this one. This years home schedule and one home game not even being played at home, on a baseball field no less will have very few new fans rushing the box office for seasons tickets.
DB is a much more educated man than myself but I think the timing is bad. I hope he proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
Courant: With Feasibility Study And Ticket Surcharge, UConn Moving Forward On Plans For New Stadiums

>>Josh Newton, president and chief executive officer of the UConn Foundation, the university's philanthropic arm, said he has $14 million in commitments toward the $25 million needed from private donors for the $46 million project. Newton said he has verbal commitments on an additional $3 million and he expects to reach the target $25 million by the end of the calendar year.<<

Reaction Score
We have done enough of that - I think that's fine for operating expenses, but not for capital.
Agreed...was just being a bit sarcastic. Isn't that always the easy answer?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm only speaking for myself, but if the cost of a Mcgriddle and small coffee is enough to keep you from going to a game, how invested were you in going in the first place?
I agree with you on this, but I also didn't say my crew wasn't going, there just not happy about another fee being added on. Hiding it as a increase in ticket prices would have caused the same aggravation. I'm OK with it only because I love all things UConn.
As season ticket holders, we already pay a $100 per seat donation which we are not happy about. This $5 is just piling on. If you want to see us flip our lids, looks us up when they offer cheap tickets to the public making our already high cost look that much worse. We've contemplated moving seats to remove the donation or even buying single game tickets, though I think the return of Randy has nixed this idea of single game tix.
I will just say that what we spend on football are entertainment dollars, money we're not spending on local golf or another golf trip to Ocean City MD. For 6 years now we have not been particularly entertained, at least by our teams's play. Now they want to charge just a little more for that same entertainment. I am optimistic that this season with Randy and Co will bring me some entertainment again, but on the heels of 6 bad years it's a bad time to try and ask for more.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It wasn't long ago that some on this board were griping about the BC game being moved to Fenway. I'm curious if any who complained about that are also complaining about the surcharge.

The thing is we have decades of catching up to do on many levels if we want to get to where many of us believe we belong and we are doing so now under a severe handicap.

We really can't claim to be a P5 school in a lesser conference if we aren't willing to support the school at a level at least equal to the top half of non P5 schools.

Reaction Score
This will never not frost me. I think it's time for Ldandy's of the world to pony up some of their McGriddle money to the AD.

Happy to do my part ;)

Your Order
You've asked to be acknowledged as LDandy.

Item

Amount

Donation to Baseball Stadium Enhancement Fund (UConn Athletics Capital Projects)

$5.00

Note: One less Mcgriddle=$5.00 Closer to that sweet stadium upgrade!

Additional Instructions: To be used for baseball stadium enhancement only

Tribute: In Honor of The Boneyard, from Frequent Visitor

Reaction Score
I have to laugh at some of the posters who think that a $5 charge on the football ticket will keep fans away. If the quality of the play on the field goes up the University would have no trouble increasing the ticket costs by much more than this. Many of the same fans complaining also desperately want to be in a better conference. Thank god AD Dave and Herbst understand the advance work that needs to be done for UCONN to have a chance in the future. We have to increase the profile of the school in every way possible because when an opening comes the competition will be fierce. To be a candidate for the Big Ten one of the area's needed for improvement is increasing participation in giving to the school. The quality of facilities is important as well. Most important is the quality of the football on the field. I have great respect for the moves that are being made in a very difficult financial environment for the state that is keeping UCONN moving forward in its long term athletic goals at a time when it would be very easy to give up and say it is impossible to do.

C

Chief00

These are the same people who say it's all about football - so we attach a surcharge on football tickets to pay for soccer, softball and baseball. How does that advance the almighty football?

Reaction Score
These are the same people who say it's all about football - so we attach a surcharge on football tickets to pay for soccer, softball and baseball. How does that advance the almighty football?
If you aren't improving you go downhill. It is a competitive environment that requires constant improvement. Not everyone in the state or in the state legislature would agree that it is all about football. Getting into a better conference is mostly about football but when you are being measured against similar programs other aspects of the university become important. The best way to keep support from the State where it needs to be is to stress the importance of keeping UCONN a great academic institution which provides educated employees to the employers of the state and the research that can be drawn on to create the jobs of the future in the state. In my opinion for what it is worth, looking to improve everywhere in a way that least exasperates the horrible state financial condition is the way to go. I don't want to pay $5 more a ticket to a game but I understand what the University is up against and in the big picture the $5 is not much of a sacrifice to make if it keeps us moving forward.

Reaction Score
Baseball needs to be saved, but m/w tennis and golf need to be canned. We can't afford them anymore and we have too many sports for even a P5 school (see UCLA with less male sports than us).

Why cut them? I'd love to see two more sports at UCONN - Lacrosse and water polo....

Reaction Score
First, I'm ok with a fee. It makes sense and it is a great way to generate supplemental revenue. That said, CT has turned the fee into an art to raise revenues on just about anything the walks, talks or moves.

On sports, UConn ought to be leading the women sports movement nationally. The fact that they don't have an NCAA equestrian team and instead keep it at a club level is a real slap in the face to women's athletics. They revel in women's basketball but do the minimum to comply with Title IX. As long as it only costs a few balls and nets, fine for girls, fine. But, if it requires any meaningful investment they run the other way. NCAA equestrian has about 25 teams nationwide and is trying to get to 40 teams ( the schools that have stepped up are SEC, Big12, 3 Ivies , and some independents). UConn already has the facilities and is active st a club level.

They ought to step up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"The fact that [UConn doesn't] have an NCAA equestrian team and instead keep it at a club level is a real slap in the face to women's athletics."

As my buddy likes to say, "You can't make this merde up."

C

Chief00

If you aren't improving you go downhill. It is a competitive environment that requires constant improvement. Not everyone in the state or in the state legislature would agree that it is all about football. Getting into a better conference is mostly about football but when you are being measured against similar programs other aspects of the university become important. The best way to keep support from the State where it needs to be is to stress the importance of keeping UCONN a great academic institution which provides educated employees to the employers of the state and the research that can be drawn on to create the jobs of the future in the state. In my opinion for what it is worth, looking to improve everywhere in a way that least exasperates the horrible state financial condition is the way to go. I don't want to pay $5 more a ticket to a game but I understand what the University is up against and in the big picture the $5 is not much of a sacrifice to make if it keeps us moving forward.

It's $5 per ticket per game - Do you buy season tickets? Have you sat through the last 6 years?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
First, I'm ok with a fee. It makes sense and it is a great way to generate supplemental revenue. That said, CT has turned the fee into an art to raise revenues on just about anything the walks, talks or moves.

On sports, UConn ought to be leading the women sports movement nationally. The fact that they don't have an NCAA equestrian team and instead keep it at a club level is a real slap in the face to women's athletics. They revel in women's basketball but do the minimum to comply with Title IX. As long as it only costs a few balls and nets, fine for girls, fine. But, if it requires any meaningful investment they run the other way. NCAA equestrian has about 25 teams nationwide and is trying to get to 40 teams ( the schools that have stepped up are SEC, Big12, 3 Ivies , and some independents). UConn already has the facilities and is active st a club level.

They ought to step up.
No, the athletic department is about to face a $40 million deficit in 2017/18. The last thing we should do is bring in more sports that are net losses financially. Remember, it's the students that have to pay the majority of that deficit. Education is more important than the equestrian team.

Reaction Score
It's $5 per ticket per game - Do you buy season tickets? Have you sat through the last 6 years?
Chief I have and I have absolutely no problem with this. If this had been a long time ago the facilities wouldn't be in such bad shape..along with hathaway actually being forward thinking and doing his job!

Reaction Score

I have to agree with this and feel the administration and AD recognized and believe the following. They include:

A. The cost of buying out the last Coach which was recognized as crucial to save a sinking program had to be absorbed.
B. Feedback during the realignment process as to what other conferences are looking for and value moving forward.
C. Balancing out title IX concerns moving forward.
D. The expectation and confidence that the FB program will start winning games and playing a more exciting brand of football. If they didn't believe that football could be the rising tide they might as well pack up and go home.

There's plenty of room for dissenting opinions on this but it seems like shrinking a successful Athletic Dept would send a signal that we have given up on P5 as a goal. And let's face it, all these other programs aren't the reason we're in this position. It's football and regional rivals and ESPN. If we want to move forward we need to start winning and the fans will come.

Reaction Score
"The fact that [UConn doesn't] have an NCAA equestrian team and instead keep it at a club level is a real slap in the face to women's athletics."

As my buddy likes to say, "You can't make this merde up."
I'm not making it up. It's a fact.

C

Chief00

I guess I don't have a problem with the $30-35 fee per season ticket other than it doesn't appear to be tax deductible. That's a matter of principle for me - if your dollars are important to an organization - figure out how to do it under a 501c umbrella. I buy 8 tickets so that's $240 - $280 and even after the 80% benefit haircut that about a $200 deduction - not a lot but makes you feel better about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom