External Hard Drive | The Boneyard

External Hard Drive

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am no techie. I am going to buy an external hard drive for my lap top. Thought I would ask a question or two before it arrives.

On this laptop I have a lot of music and photos stored. How easy is it to move them to the new hard drive? Also, for all other files?

Reaction Score
Many external hard drives are simple plug & play with a usb connection. Plug it in, follow a few prompts for initial setup, and after that just drag and drop as if you were moving files around on your pc. Below is an example, its the size of a cell phone and holds 5TB, although 1TB is likely enough for music and photos. If storing videos or high quality photos go for bigger size. Good luck!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am no techie. I am going to buy an external hard drive for my lap top. Thought I would ask a question or two before it arrives.

On this laptop I have a lot of music and photos stored. How easy is it to move them to the new hard drive? Also, for all other files?

I got a WD EasyStore 4TB recently as I have a bunch of laptops and and old desktop in various states of not fully functional and the number of thumb drives I was keeping track of was getting out of hand, so I wanted to dump everything in one place. Piece of cake as tiger8mush says. Simply plug in the USB, wait for it to show up on the drive menu, then drag and drop till you're done.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks guys. On my way home I stopped at Staples and bought a Seagate Back Up Slim thingy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, I started drag and dropping. Now I am looking at the downloaded CDs and am wondering...do I have to drag each one to the hard drive?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So, I started drag and dropping. Now I am looking at the downloaded CDs and am wondering...do I have to drag each one to the hard drive?

If you put each CD in its own folder, just drag the folder. If not, then yeah. Although you should be able to shift+ down arrow to highlight a whole bunch at once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom