Explain to Stanford, Louisville, Baylor and Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Explain to Stanford, Louisville, Baylor and Maryland

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I generally agree, although it’s unlikely that SC will be a 1 seed if they lose again in the SEC tournament. Should SC lose, I think the last #1 will be whichever team, Louisville or NC St, wins the ACC tournament.

Reaction Score
Why is Stanford included in the question? They're overall #2.

South Carolina has a far better resume than Baylor and Louisville. It's not even close. If you're just counting the number of losses, then you have no idea how resumes are evaluated.

I would give NC State the edge over SC for the last #1 seed. SC does have more Quadrant 1 wins, and NC State's two losses are "softer" than any of SC's losses, but NC State has two wins that are far better than SC's best wins.
+1000000

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yeah it was really early... for both teams. The SC guards shooting and shot selection hasn't improved since then. :eek::eek::eek: Plus State played the game without Jada Boyd..... a sixth woman who averages 11pts and 6 rebounds a game. The Aggies might be the most complete team, but State is a very balanced team as well. They only go 7 deep... but all 7 players are capable of dropping 15+ points in a game at any given time... not many teams like that around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I generally agree, although it’s unlikely that SC will be a 1 seed if they lose again in the SEC tournament. Should SC lose, I think the last #1 will be whichever team, Louisville or NC St, wins the ACC tournament.
I dont think 1 good win is going to be enough to get Louisville a #1. If SC & NCSt lose, I suspect it'll be Maryland or possibly Baylor.

If TAMU loses, they probably hold the last #1, unless NCSt wins the ACCT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I dont think 1 good win is going to be enough to get Louisville a #1. If SC & NCSt lose, I suspect it'll be Maryland or possibly Baylor.

If TAMU loses, they probably hold the last #1, unless NCSt wins the ACCT.
There’s a lot of dominoes involved. What if Stanford gets knocked off in the Pac12 tournament? What if UConn gets knocked off in the BE....,?

Reaction Score
Last year I thought three teams were a cut above the rest of the field. This year the top 8 or so seem very tight. I was hoping if Uconn got a number one overall seed, that they might get a significantly weaker #2 seed in their region.

Then I looked at the likely #2 seeds and they all scare me about equally. If I could hand pick the #2 seed from 5-8 I don't know who I would prefer. A national champion from a #2 seed is much more likely this year than in most past tournaments IMO.

Reaction Score
For the first time in years, am FAR more interested in Sweet 16 and Elite 8 matchups than FF.

Is an Overall #1 UConn really happy if they are faced with Arkansas in the Sweet 16 and Louisville in the Elite 8?

The basketball enthusiast in me hopes for 4 solid rounds of great competition. The realist in me thinks that the Committee is more likely to create some seriously imbalanced quadrants due to their incessant politicking.

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of dominoes involved. What if Stanford gets knocked off in the Pac12 tournament? What if UConn gets knocked off in the BE....,?
UConn, Stanford, and A&M's resumes are strong enough that a conference tournament loss is unlikely to drop them off the #1 line. And even if they do lose, Louisville ain't jumping them given the lack of high-quality ACC teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking at the AP ranking this week in a wide angle view I think is a pretty good indication - by wide angle I mean, not who is first or second, but how teams break into groups. Here are the point spreads in the voting:
16 #1 Seeds

1 #2 Seeds

15 #3 Seeds

What that signifies to me is the AP voters after the games on Sunday have pretty clearly defined the #1 seeds and the #2 seeds. They see a clear difference between Stanford, NC State, TA&M and Uconn as one seeds, and the universe of Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, and SC. And then they see a clear break from those 4 and the next two teams UCLA and Indiana, and another break from the rest of the teams.

Not saying AP voters are the final word, but their top ten tends to be pretty good and the way their voting has so clearly fallen into 4 sections 1-4, 5-8, 9-10, and the rest is a pretty clear indicator of consensus across 30 very diverse voters. Within each of the groups the voting is much closer except between 1 and 2, which is probably indicative of 'you are #1 until you lose' inertia more than a clear preference.

Obviously there are tournaments to play and a upset of any of the top 10 might change their position in a group or their group, but I'm not sure the top ten have so nicely grouped into 1 seeds, 2 seeds, and top 2 three seeds in a ranking at the end of a regular season before.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Based on AP polls, South Carolina is #7 overall, that is far away from the #1 seed.
The AP poll is entirely irrelevant to tournament seeding.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Fans of other programs and some in the Media say the same thing about UConn. Why is UConn a #1 seed as they don't pass the eye test and don't have the Strength of Schedule?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fans of other programs and some in the Media say the same thing about UConn. Why is UConn a #1 seed as they don't pass the eye test and don't have the Strength of Schedule?
Cause it’s UConn.........

Reaction Score
There are times when reading the back and forth on The Boneyard hurts my head. This is one of those times.

Reaction Score
Wait! How exactly does UConn not pass the eye test? What is the eye test?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Stanford is and neither Maryland or Louisville should be, but Baylor is the one that might deserve an explanation. The reveal was made prior to Sunday games.
Exactly who has Baylor beaten? The BIG 12 consists of one good team, a sometimes good team (WVa) and the rest of the conference. But they have Championship history so maybe they deserve a 1 seed.
But I agree that SoCar doesn't deserve to be a 1 seed but because they were everybody's preseason Number 1 team, that carries a lot of weight, especially with Creme.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, they haven't beaten anyone that strong. No wins to any Top 10 team. Same complaint Mississippi State got in 2019.

They lost to the #1, #2, and #3 teams in the nation and beat everyone below #12. 1-4 against the Top 15. No idea why we got so much flack that year given this situation, but if you're gonna follow the Mississippi State in 2018-2019 model...... sure roll with that, but in my opinion NcState deserves the last #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Why is Stanford included in the question? They're overall #2.

South Carolina has a far better resume than Baylor and Louisville. It's not even close. If you're just counting the number of losses, then you have no idea how resumes are evaluated.

I would give NC State the edge over SC for the last #1 seed. SC does have more Quadrant 1 wins, and NC State's two losses are "softer" than any of SC's losses, but NC State has two wins that are far better than SC's best wins.
And one of those losses was without their AA. The committee has excused losses due to injuries as long as the player was back playing. NCSt gets shuffled back by the media mostly because they play defense, which hasn't the glamour. I'll guarantee that where ever NCSt lands as a 2 the 1's coach will whine.

Creme also has rematches between SCar-NCSt and UConn-Ark. ESPN loves rematches. I don't either Stanford or Baylor played anybody outside their conferences who will make the tournament, except as a small conference champ. But I wouldn't want to play Tenn in a S16 game and then have to face Baylor in the E8 with a day's rest. Tenn would get beat but Stanford(Brink) would take a beating.

Reaction Score
I agree with who you picked but the committee has stated in the past that early season games count the same. And that loss to NCSt was at home where the Gamecocks scored 48 points. I realize they played a lot of top 50 teams but the very best teams beat them, every time. That's not a 1 seed resume. If they get one it will be for lack of anyone better, not for the season they had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom