• No chance you’ll travel in two weeks

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • So you’re saying there’s a chance?

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • No problem

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I believe you can lineup at the passport office in NYC VERY early before it opens and get it same day. Do some googling. Can’t remember the exact details.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Our five-year anniversary trip to Iceland was delayed two years. Flight is two sundays from now. Just realized my passport expired in April. Haven’t told my wife yet but about to drive to agencies to figures it out.

In summary: how screwed am I?
Stamford Passport office replaced mine in 4 hours, complete with Visa stamp for work in Turkey. It was 30 years ago but I bet they can come through for you too.

Reaction Score
I believe you need appointments currently for same day replacement in Stamford. Had to do this is 2016 as was leaving for Cuba in 48 hours was there for about 4 hours

However in November of last year my wife had an expired passport and they had no appointments to take her and get her a same day appointment so we had to cancel original trip and went to st Thomas instead this was after paying for expedited passport at the post office and it still hadn’t arrived 3 month later

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
My wife had this issue when we went to Thailand for a Muay Thai camp.

Make an appointment with the passport agency. I'm pretty sure ours had a website to make appointments and check availability.
Funny, I had this issue entering Thailand, too. It was our honeymoon. Since we didn't notice until we were literally on line at the airport, and since it wasn't yet expired (it was set to expire on the trip), we decided to chance it. Fortunately, no one noticed. (Though I did have the Thai Baht equivalent of $40 US tucked neatly into my palm while waiting in departure line at the Phuket airport, just in case some wheels needed greasing).

Reaction Score
Funny, I had this issue entering Thailand, too. It was our honeymoon. Since we didn't notice until we were literally on line at the airport, and since it wasn't yet expired (it was set to expire on the trip), we decided to chance it. Fortunately, no one noticed. (Though I did have the Thai Baht equivalent of $40 US tucked neatly into my palm while waiting in departure line at the Phuket airport, just in case some wheels needed greasing).

Where'd you go over there?

I was at a fight camp on Koh Phangan for a month. 95 degrees and humid + 10k runs in the morning + 2 hours of time in the gym getting my ass kicked was brutal... Spent time in Bangkok as well, took a couple day trip to Angor Wat.

Reaction Score
This brings back painful memories for me. A few years ago, we were going to the Bahamas with our kids for spring break. About 2 days before we were supposed to leave, my wife realized our passports had expired a few months before. I live in Raleigh. We were able to push our flight and reservations out by a day. So we drove from Raleigh to DC to the passport agency, got there literally as they opened in the morning, and were out of there by around 1 or 2 PM. Drove the 5 hours back to Raleigh and flew out the next morning. I wouldn't recommend this method though, lol

Reaction Score
This brings back painful memories for me. A few years ago, we were going to the Bahamas with our kids for spring break. About 2 days before we were supposed to leave, my wife realized our passports had expired a few months before. I live in Raleigh. We were able to push our flight and reservations out by a day. So we drove from Raleigh to DC to the passport agency, got there literally as they opened in the morning, and were out of there by around 1 or 2 PM. Drove the 5 hours back to Raleigh and flew out the nex
All of these stressful experiences prompted me to look at my passport. I bet that I'm not the only one. BTW, I'm good for a few more years.

Reaction Score
My wife would have been all over this months ago

Just saying :)

One of the wonderful things about my wife is just how little I have to do when we travel. She plans things down to the minute when we travel and I get to be a mindless sheep that follows along as long as I bring the credit card.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Where'd you go over there?

I was at a fight camp on Koh Phangan for a month. 95 degrees and humid + 10k runs in the morning + 2 hours of time in the gym getting my ass kicked was brutal... Spent time in Bangkok as well, took a couple day trip to Angor Wat.
I've been there twice. When I was in my 20's I backpacked thru SE Asia, including Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Cambodia and Vietnam. The second time was a honeymoon with the wife; we stayed in Phuket.

We took in a few Muay Thai matches in Phuket. My wife couldn't decide what was more offensive: that they let 8-year-olds beat the out of each other for profitable entertainment, or that they were taking bets on a winner.

Reaction Score
Ugh, I tried calling the hotline and their nearest appointment in the next two weeks is Houston, TX tomorrow.

For those people you've mentioned the Stamford location and the long lines, could I simply just wait in line (even though I'm not supposed to?)

Reaction Score
Our five-year anniversary trip to Iceland was delayed two years. Flight is two sundays from now. Just realized my passport expired in April. Haven’t told my wife yet but about to drive to agencies to figures it out.

In summary: how screwed am I?
My wife found out her passport expired the PM before we were to travel to Cancun. She found out she could go to the passport office in DC and get same day issue. She drove to DC (5 hours from home), got the passport and traveled a day late.

Reaction Score
I've been there twice. When I was in my 20's I backpacked thru SE Asia, including Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Cambodia and Vietnam. The second time was a honeymoon with the wife; we stayed in Phuket.

We took in a few Muay Thai matches in Phuket. My wife couldn't decide what was more offensive: that they let 8-year-olds beat the out of each other for profitable entertainment, or that they were taking bets on a winner.

The culture of little kids fighting professional over there is definitely screwed up. On the other hand, if you're not going to be able to make money any other way, why not let them punch each other up? It's complicated I guess. You hear of all these stars like Buakaw, Saencahi, Rodtang, and they've been training full-time since they were 7-9 years old. It's crazy.

My friend and former training partner fights full-time out of Phuket. Has a big presence on social media. Beautiful island! Seems like all the Farang's manage to go to Phuket to fight for whatever reason.

A lot of people actually say the betting is ruining Muay Thai in Thailand. When you watch the fights, the first two, even 3 rounds are super slow because the fighters are waiting for all the bets to come in. It's boring as hell.

Reaction Score
Ugh, I tried calling the hotline and their nearest appointment in the next two weeks is Houston, TX tomorrow.

For those people you've mentioned the Stamford location and the long lines, could I simply just wait in line (even though I'm not supposed to?)
Doubtful but worth a shot. They changed to appointment once Covid happened

Might be worth the airfare to go to Houston depending on your situation

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are commercial passport services that will take care of this for you.

I used one - overnighted my stuff to Chicago. They went and got the renewal the next day and expedited it back. Sent on a Monday, received new passport on Wednesday.

I paid dearly for it, but worth it. Google the services.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Any chance of viewing the Northern Lights while there or is it the wrong time of year? That is something that I have always wanted to see.
I went to college in beautiful downtown Potsdam NY, 20 miles south of the Canadian border, and we could see the northern lights there. If there were only a schedule of when they appear, I’d suggest a trip to Montreal and a viewing of the lights. Of course, you’d need to drive away from the city but there’s a lot of nothing not too far away.

Reaction Score
You are going to have to pay a third party to expedite it. Just got back from London and one of my colleagues found out his passport expired 2 weeks before our trip and tried to call for an appointment and they are all booked up with appointments from passport expediting companies. Kinda the same game like scalpers who immediately get the best seats when they are available to the public. So for $750 he paid "a guy" and was able to get it in time. You have no shot of getting it on your own within 2 weeks. You are going to have to pay.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are going to have to pay a third party to expedite it. Just got back from London and one of my colleagues found out his passport expired 2 weeks before our trip and tried to call for an appointment and they are all booked up with appointments from passport expediting companies. Kinda the same game like scalpers who immediately get the best seats when they are available to the public. So for $750 he paid "a guy" and was able to get it in time. You have no shot of getting it on your own within 2 weeks. You are going to have to pay.

I think I paid $500.

These companies just have more access.

My passport wasn’t even expired. We were going on a cruise in Europe and one of the countries required that you have a passport valid for six months beyond the date of your visit. My six months fell on the very day we were going to be in whatever country. (Sweden, I think.)

Call the travel agent, called the cruise line, called Sweden and all of them said it would be a crap shoot if they let me in…..BUT, the cruise line said that if one passenger was not eligible to enter, the ship could be denied so they would likely prevent me from sailing.

So that added $500 to the cruise.

Reaction Score
Looks amazing.

We'll spend almost all of our time in Northern Iceland between our Airbnb just west of Akureyri and Lake Myvatn. My wife's grandmother is from Iceland and while it'll be our third time in Iceland, it'll be our first time in the area where her grandmother is from.

Our flight is a Sunday night (three days after our last day of school), we'll spend the jet-lagged Monday in Reykjavik and then Tuesday-Friday in the north. Whale watching, a few hot springs and a hike up Hverfjall volcano are the planned stuff. Flight back is late on Friday. Two nights before the flight, we're seeing the Icelandic band Sigur Ros at the Beacon, a band we've both liked well before we met each other and it'll be our first time seeing them...pretty serendipitous!

I'll definitely breathe a sigh of relief once my visit w/ the passport office is over!
Bought the cds, ( ) and Takk, by Sigur Ros many years ago. Then saw the documentary Heima by them on Amazon Prime. I think the best word to describe their music is ethereal. Once you come to grips with Jonsi Birgisson's vocals and that they only sing in Icelandic and Vonlenska (madeup language), they are a very interesting group.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom