• No chance you’ll travel in two weeks

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • So you’re saying there’s a chance?

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • No problem

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Our five-year anniversary trip to Iceland was delayed two years. Flight is two sundays from now. Just realized my passport expired in April. Haven’t told my wife yet but about to drive to agencies to figures it out.

In summary: how screwed am I?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
F99820DA-46C9-4478-9506-C7D8E6584EAD.jpeg

Kind of a shame that your wife ends up getting screwed by this. Since everything is paid for anyway, I’m willing to step in as your replacement.

You’re welcome.

(If not, this place says that they can expedite in 24 hours. You have to head to the city though.)

Reaction Score
In select locations (I went to Buffalo NY kinda close to where I live) there is a US State department office where you can make an appointment and they will process you passport there and you can take it home with you. Note that there are rules to follow. People were super nice. Give us a lunch recommendation and they were ready when we got back. This happened before Covid so not sure if it still holds. Commercial passport services can expedite the process for big bucks as well. Do something immediately. Enjoy Iceland and Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
My wife had this issue when we went to Thailand for a Muay Thai camp.

Make an appointment with the passport agency. I'm pretty sure ours had a website to make appointments and check availability.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
There used to be a passport office in Stamford, then it moved to Norwak. No idea if it's still around but check the State Departments site. Theres definetly an office in NYC.

Reaction Score
Panic has subsided and it seems like all I have to do is go to Stamford (I live in Norwalk) this upcoming week.

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. Our appointment line is closed on the weekend and on federal holidays. We do not charge a fee to make appointments.
  • Be traveling internationally within 14 calendar days.
  • Be able to show printed proof of international travel (such as your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, cruise tickets, or international car insurance).
  • Pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to the regular application fees.
  • Note: your appointment must be within 14 calendar days of your international travel. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 28 calendar days of your international travel.

It'll cost me, but it's better than not traveling. Wife was informed and was totally cool with it (she's the forgetful one out of the two and reminded me that).

Continue to roast me as you please or @temery you can delete the thread.

Reaction Score
There used to be a passport office in Stamford, then it moved to Norwak. No idea if it's still around but check the State Departments site. Theres definetly an office in NYC.
Still there in Stamford, it's right next to my office building and I always see people lined up outside

Reaction Score
Definitely go to Stamford, happened to my girlfriends dad a few years ago. Pulled out his passport two days before his trip to Paris and realized it expired a few months before.

Went down to Stamford, got there before it opened and waited in line. Took about 6-8 hours all in but he came home with a new passport.

Definitely show up with everything you need (old passports, documentation, passport photos, etc.)

Reaction Score
This happened to my best friend a week before my wedding in Peru. He found a expediteted location in West CT - i think it was Danbury or one of the surrounding towns, but i could be mistaken. And they expedited it to him on the spot. You need to make an appointment if memory serves (this was in 2018) but you shouldn’t be as screwed as you think you are.

I was freaking out - especially considering I had purchased his airfare and that was non-refundable (and ofc having my best man at my wedding…) But besides adding a ton of stress to the actual wedding planning, it actually all worked out.

Reaction Score
Looks amazing.

We'll spend almost all of our time in Northern Iceland between our Airbnb just west of Akureyri and Lake Myvatn. My wife's grandmother is from Iceland and while it'll be our third time in Iceland, it'll be our first time in the area where her grandmother is from.

Our flight is a Sunday night (three days after our last day of school), we'll spend the jet-lagged Monday in Reykjavik and then Tuesday-Friday in the north. Whale watching, a few hot springs and a hike up Hverfjall volcano are the planned stuff. Flight back is late on Friday. Two nights before the flight, we're seeing the Icelandic band Sigur Ros at the Beacon, a band we've both liked well before we met each other and it'll be our first time seeing them...pretty serendipitous!

I'll definitely breathe a sigh of relief once my visit w/ the passport office is over!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Panic has subsided and it seems like all I have to do is go to Stamford (I live in Norwalk) this upcoming week.

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. Our appointment line is closed on the weekend and on federal holidays. We do not charge a fee to make appointments.
  • Be traveling internationally within 14 calendar days.
  • Be able to show printed proof of international travel (such as your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, cruise tickets, or international car insurance).
  • Pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to the regular application fees.
  • Note: your appointment must be within 14 calendar days of your international travel. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 28 calendar days of your international travel.

It'll cost me, but it's better than not traveling. Wife was informed and was totally cool with it (she's the forgetful one out of the two and reminded me that).

Continue to roast me as you please or @temery you can delete the thread.

Worth it. You can't get a divorce for less than $60.

Reaction Score
Looks amazing.

We'll spend almost all of our time in Northern Iceland between our Airbnb just west of Akureyri and Lake Myvatn. My wife's grandmother is from Iceland and while it'll be our third time in Iceland, it'll be our first time in the area where her grandmother is from.

Our flight is a Sunday night (three days after our last day of school), we'll spend the jet-lagged Monday in Reykjavik and then Tuesday-Friday in the north. Whale watching, a few hot springs and a hike up Hverfjall volcano are the planned stuff. Flight back is late on Friday. Two nights before the flight, we're seeing the Icelandic band Sigur Ros at the Beacon, a band we've both liked well before we met each other and it'll be our first time seeing them...pretty serendipitous!

I'll definitely breathe a sigh of relief once my visit w/ the passport office is over!
Any chance of viewing the Northern Lights while there or is it the wrong time of year? That is something that I have always wanted to see.

Reaction Score
Any chance of viewing the Northern Lights while there or is it the wrong time of year? That is something that I have always wanted to see.
Wrong time of the year due to almost no night sky. Winter is the time to go.

Reaction Score
Based on experience I'd say there's not a very good chance. I hope you can somehow pull it off though

Reaction Score
I once went to Fairbanks to watch the Northern Lights. Thanks to problems at the airport in Seattle where I had a connecting flight, I got there a day late. I went out to a watch point and sat in my rental car maybe 6 hours and saw nothing.

Driving down the road, I saw a brief yellow-green shock in the sky, sort of like one zigzag on Charlie Brown's shirt.

I mentioned it in passing to a waitress at a diner the next morning and she said, "You should've been here the night before. It was the best I've seen in 20 years."

Damn you Delta.

Reaction Score
Biggest two recs are: go to Selfoss and specifically Pylsu Vaginn for a deep fried hot dog with fries and bernaise. It’s incredible.
#2 is if you’re a golfer, they have most courses per capita in the world. I played Brautarholt and it’s incredible. Just like pebble but at a much more affordable price

Reaction Score
I live in the DC area and got my son a passport 4 years ago in DC. Showed proof few hours later took pic and had passport. We were able to get appt in time. Had a week.

Reaction Score
Biggest two recs are: go to Selfoss and specifically Pylsu Vaginn for a deep fried hot dog with fries and bernaise. It’s incredible.
#2 is if you’re a golfer, they have most courses per capita in the world. I played Brautarholt and it’s incredible. Just like pebble but at a much more affordable price
You jogged my memory on an article that I read about golfing in Iceland on the day with the most sunlight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They eat puffins.
Well, I guess smoking all that that much weed they’d eat pretty much anything.

Ashton Kutcher Kitty GIF

“ Dude, I could totally eat a puffin right now.”

Reaction Score
If you pay to use an expediting service company, you can get it in a week. You're gonna pay $$$$$. I used this with past companies I worked for, but they paid so I didn't care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom