Exhibition game #2...yes/no? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Exhibition game #2...yes/no?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Better yet, Geno could split the roster into two equally divided (talent wise) squads and have an Intrasquad game open to the public for free. All of the players would get plenty of playing time. Geno could coach one squad, Chris Dailey the other one. The game could be live streamed by the UConn audio visual department for free.

They could generate revenue via concessions and merchandise sales. No charge for parking. An opportunity to show some good will to their fans, and say thanks for your continued support. Open seating for the game on a first come first served basis. Have the game on a Saturday so the kiddies and teenagers could attend. Every seat should be filled. Who knows, some former players just might show up as well.

LSU women's basketball will open first practice to the public

The LSU women’s basketball team will usher in a new era under head coach Kim Mulkey. The Louisiana native returned to her home state to take over the team. She left Baylor after 22 seasons and three national championships. In the first opportunity to see the women’s team, practice will be open to the public. The first official LSU Women’s Basketball practice under head coach Kim Mulkey, scheduled for Wednesday, September 29, will be open for fans and media to attend on the main floor of the PMAC.

1632321267882.png

The Tigers will have two exhibition games which will both be free for fans to attend. LSU is scheduled to host Langston on October 30 at 2 p.m. and Loyola on November 4 at 6 p.m.

Wow, what a novel concept!?! :eek: Where have I heard THAT before?

Mulkey starting off on the right foot. Trying to renew fan interest in the LSU women's BB program. Throwing the fan base a bone to begin the season and build some goodwill from day one. That's right out of marketing 101. ;)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn has in the past scheduled 2 exhibition games, one in Gampel and the other at the XL.
The reason for the games is the same for all schools, having the players experience real game conditions with officials, fans in the seats, pre-game activities like shoot-around and pregame meal. All of that is new for the freshmen. The 2 arenas are different, as is some of the pre-game prep so the goal has always been to prepare the team for both. Perhaps it won’t happen this year.

Reaction Score
I wish UConn and SCar could play an exhibition "Junior Varsity" game.

Our 5 incoming vs your 5 incoming.

Heck, don't keep score. Let'em workout. Have a scrimmage. I would just love to see all 10 of them on the court. Heck, mixed the teams up. three Gamecocks and three dogs vs 2 gamecocks and three dogs.

Reaction Score

The LSU women’s basketball team will usher in a new era under head coach Kim Mulkey. The Louisiana native returned to her home state to take over the team. She left Baylor after 22 seasons and three national championships. In the first opportunity to see the women’s team, practice will be open to the public. The first official LSU Women’s Basketball practice under head coach Kim Mulkey, scheduled for Wednesday, September 29, will be open for fans and media to attend on the main floor of the PMAC.

View attachment 69874

The Tigers will have two exhibition games which will both be free for fans to attend. LSU is scheduled to host Langston on October 30 at 2 p.m. and Loyola on November 4 at 6 p.m.

Mulkey starting off on the right foot. Trying to renew fan interest in the LSU women's BB program. Throwing the fan base a bone to begin the season and build some goodwill from day one. That's right out of marketing 101. ;)
Clearly Coach Mulkey reads the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
UConn has in the past scheduled 2 exhibition games, one in Gampel and the other at the XL.
The reason for the games is the same for all schools, having the players experience real game conditions with officials, fans in the seats, pre-game activities like shoot-around and pregame meal. All of that is new for the freshmen.

Having said that, there are reasons why the majority of D1 schools do not play two exhibition games. In fact the majority don’t even play one exhibition game. Instead they choose to have scrimmages with other D1 programs. That allows them to play against other skilled players and teams, as opposed to the much weaker D2 or D3 teams schools much play if they opt to go the exhibition game route.

Reaction Score

View attachment 69874

She got that idea from Geno

Reaction Score
UConn’s players go against each other in practice every day, starting with summer workouts. One reason to have exhibition games is simply to break up the routine and play against someone in a different uniform.

yes that is a reason. But don’t forget that choosing to play scrimmage games against D1 teams also breaks up the routine, but it allows your players to go up against much better opposition. One other advantage of having scrimmage games against D1 teams is that you can play more than four quarters and give everyone lots of playing time. Also you can practice various strategies and situations such as full-court pressing, press break, inbound plays, last second shots, etc.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
yes that is a reason. But don’t forget that choosing to play scrimmage games against D1 teams also breaks up the routine, but it allows your players to go up against much better opposition. One other advantage of having scrimmage games against D1 teams is that you can play more than four quarters and give everyone lots of playing time. Also you can practice various strategies and situations such as full-court pressing, press break, inbound plays, last second shots, etc.
Yes but D1 scrimmages are closed to the public while D2 or D3 can have fans and be televised for those who can't make it. I think the players would rather have some fans in the stands after what everyone went through last year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
With the depth in this year's team, why do we need exhibition games? At all positions, we are 4 deep. No one on the Fort Hays team is as skilled as the last player on the UConn bench.
Why not? You ALWAYS want to play as many games as you can, especially at the beginning of the season to shake off the rust that has built up during the spring and summer. Give the players on the end of the bench a chance to get on the floor and play extensive minutes. That's what they are here for. They want to play too. I've heard of teams playing an extra quarter or two after the arena was cleared and the doors locked to get more playing time/experience for their players.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes but D1 scrimmages are closed to the public while D2 or D3 can have fans and be televised for those who can't make it. I think the players would rather have some fans in the stands after what everyone went through last year.
6 years ago, the UNLV WBB team went to Eugene Oregon to play a "closed to the public" basketball game. My granddaughter was one of the team managers then. That was her very first road trip with the team. She loved the entire experience.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
6 years ago, the UNLV WBB team went to Eugene Oregon to play a "closed to the public" basketball game. My granddaughter was one of the team managers then. That was her very first road trip with the team. She loved the entire experience.
Is this the same granddaughter that you always came to Vegas for? Hope she is doing well and enjoying life.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Is this the same granddaughter that you always came to Vegas for? Hope she is doing well and enjoying life.
Yes. She's doing very well. Just returned from a 1 week cruise to the Bahamas after working the NBA summer league there in Vegas. She starts a new admin job working for the LA Clippers in 2 weeks. Life is good. :) Her ultimate goal is to get a job working for the NBA in some capacity.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes. She's doing very well. Just returned from a 1 week cruise to the Bahamas after working the NBA summer league there in Vegas. She starts a new admin job working for the LA Clippers in 2 weeks. Life is good. :) Her ultimate goal is to get a job working for the NBA in some capacity.
Great to hear, wish her well and that her goal materializes. Maybe by the time she gets that job Vegas will have a NBA team and she can return to the city of lights. At least she wouldn't have to pay income taxes here in Nevada.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Having said that, there are reasons why the majority of D1 schools do not play two exhibition games. In fact the majority don’t even play one exhibition game. Instead they choose to have scrimmages with other D1 programs. That allows them to play against other skilled players and teams, as opposed to the much weaker D2 or D3 teams schools much play if they opt to go the exhibition game route.

I can't speak to a majority of D1 schools but a majority of a preseason (Lindy's) top 25 schools will play at least 1 exhibition game. Maryland, Baylor and Oregon will play 2 exhibition games.

Reaction Score
I can't speak to a majority of D1 schools but a majority of a preseason (Lindy's) top 25 schools will play at least 1 exhibition game. Maryland, Baylor and Oregon will play 2 exhibition games.
I had to look up our opponents Elon and Buffalo who are actually in D-1, so SCar does not apparently play an exhibition game but we do play those two small schools as "regular" games.

Now, I do need to be careful. In baseball, Elon broke a 17 game winning streak that had us ranked number 1 at the time. I guess it could happen in wbb though it doesn't have the equivalent risk of a pitcher throwing the game of his life on a given day.

Reaction Score
I don't where else the ladies from Fort Hays State are visiting the first week in November. Seems like a long way from Kansas for one exhibition game, even against one of the "Super Teams" in the country.
There's a D1 team just across LI Sound at SUNY Stonybrook. They made their very first appearance in the NCAA last season, winning the America East conference tourney to get the automatic in. Ironically, they were bounced from the tourney in the first round by Arizona.So the Seawolves and the Huskies might just have a similar dislike.
Simple enough to hop the ferry from Port Jefferson, NY to Bridgeport, CT.
Since my daughter and her family live in Commack, about 1/2 hour from Stonybrook, we went to a game there in February 2020. I wanted my 4 year old granddaughter to see that "girls can play sports" as well, if not better, than the boys. In a very exciting contest, they won by 2 points against Maine.
Just throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A thought occurred to me after reading some of these comments. It’s known and understood that Geno usually uses a 7-8 player rotation during most games. This year, he’s carrying a 14 player roster. That’s right, 14. That leaves six players on the end of the bench that may see little or no playing time this year, especially in close games. Except for exhibition games and blowouts against bottom tier conference teams, when are those six players supposed to get any minutes?

I understand this is a team with an unusual amount of talent. We all know that. Does Geno stick to the 7-8 player rotation he has been using lately, or expand it to 10-12? How much playing time should the last two players on the end of the bench expect to get? Could this effect the morale of those on the end of the bench? None of them came here to cheerlead, they want to play. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

View attachment 69874

Many teams have traditionally had their first practice at midnight, being able to start at 12:01am. Some calling it midnight madness, many doing it to drum up support. I think I remember UCONN doing the same thing in the past.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A thought occurred to me after reading some of these comments. It’s known and understood that Geno usually uses a 7-8 player rotation during most games. This year, he’s carrying a 14 player roster. That’s right, 14. That leaves six players on the end of the bench that may see little or no playing time this year, especially in close games. Except for exhibition games and blowouts against bottom tier conference teams, when are those six players supposed to get any minutes?

I understand this is a team with an unusual amount of talent. We all know that. Does Geno stick to the 7-8 player rotation he has been using lately, or expand it to 10-12? How much playing time should the last two players on the end of the bench expect to get? Could this effect the morale of those on the end of the bench? None of them came here to cheerlead, they want to play. Thoughts?
Post edit: Could this AFFECT the morale of those on the end of the bench?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Post edit: Could this AFFECT the morale of those on the end of the bench?
Considering that there's almost always someone who is banged up or injured the number could be less than 12 eligible for play.

Some of the Freshman will be slower in adapting to college than others. Paige was an anomaly at UConn when it comes to being a Freshman. Azzi might also be one also.

But I don't see much of a problem for Geno and the coaching staff when it comes to playing time. The players were not guaranteed playing time and the coaches were up front about it from the very beginning.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I had to look up our opponents Elon and Buffalo who are actually in D-1
Buffalo has been in the Tourney recently and is a solid mid major. Dyaisha Fair is quite a scorer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom